Like the HD 595, but need closed phone for work...
May 29, 2008 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

LnxPrgr3

100+ Head-Fier
I have and love the HD 595, and it's great at home; however, I need something more useful in a cube farm (so, noise blocking and not so leaky).

Right now, I'm looking at the Senn EH 350, Denon AH-D1001K, and the AKG K 81 DJ. From what I've read, the AKG may be a little too bassy though (then again, I put up with the Bose QC2 until they broke).

Nice, detailed highs would definitely be a plus. Also, I'd be willing to try an IEM, but I don't know where to start with them at all.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

May 29, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 7
I haven't heard the RP-21, but owned the RP-22X which I traded for an HD595 because I needed an open phone. I liked it a lot and would recommend it. Very nice sounding can.

May 29, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 7
inmy persoanl experience i've yet to come across a pair of closed headphones that sound as smooth as the HD595's. I would advise the HD25-1's but they are a bit forward sounding.

May 29, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by UtzY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about RP-21? I think (I heard from others here on head-fi, but I do not know) it would fit. EQUATION AUDIO :: Beyond Equal

There's a vague chance a local place may actually have those! I will have to see if I can check them out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by santiclaws /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard the RP-21, but owned the RP-22X which I traded for an HD595 because I needed an open phone. I liked it a lot and would recommend it. Very nice sounding can.

Equation Audio's site implies these are bassier than the RP-21. How heavy was the bass on the RP-22X?

Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
inmy persoanl experience i've yet to come across a pair of closed headphones that sound as smooth as the HD595's. I would advise the HD25-1's but they are a bit forward sounding.

All I can say is, I'm definitely happy to be keeping the 595's as well
smily_headphones1.gif
Those things have already spoiled me.

May 30, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #6 of 7
I'm sure others here have better/more experienced ears, but I have the HD595 for general listening, but use the HD280 on planes and when I can't sleep. They don't leak in or out, and while they're not as enjoyable as the 595s, but I don't consider them a huge downgrade.

Jun 3, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 7
Elsewhere I'm also reading the ATH-ES7 might be a good choice.

The RP-21 looks nice, but I've read the highs can be a little strange sounding (I see them described as "chalky" or "hissy"). This is one situation where I really wish I could try before I buy
wink.gif

Of course, it wouldn't be hard to beat the MDR-V600 I'm using at work now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back