Like my HF-1, but miss my SR-60
Dec 10, 2006 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

wlai

100+ Head-Fier
So I enjoy the HF-1 (with Senn 414 pads), it's a much more neutral and detailed can than anything else I've got. But I sold my SR-60 and I sort of miss its fun aspect for rock and such. HF-1's bass is much tighter but there's something to be said for thick bass.

So I'm considering a new pair for those moments when I just want to rock out. I can either trade in my HF-1 and get something that's a compromise, or get another can altogether. These are what I'm considering:

- Getting a SR60/80/125/225 to complement the HF-1
- Getting a Beyer DT770/880/990 to complement the HF-1
- Replace my HF1 with MS2i or 325i
- Selling my HF-1 and getting a Darth Beyer
- Send in my HF-1 to Larry @ Headphile to upgrade to an HHF-1

What do you guys think? I'm mostly listening to Alternative, Electronica, and Jazz. And I usually do so with iPod line out to Go-Vibe III amp at home.

I don't have a fixed budget per se, but don't want to go nuts either. Feel free to suggest amp+can combos too. Thanks

Dec 10, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #2 of 10
The MS2i should be even MORE analytical/neutral than your HF-1, so you might as well scratch that off your list. After that, 325i/225 is a fiercly debated topic here, but The 225 is usually regarded as closer to the 60/80 signature than the 325i.

I can't comment on the HHF-1 or Darth Beyer sound, but spending $50 and getting another used pair of SR-60 could always be an option if money is tight.

Dec 10, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 10
so are you saying the sr60's bass is THICKER than the hf-1? hmmm, that's not my experience...with flats, the hf-1's bass is huge - too boomy for me, which is why the hf-1 is the only grado on which i prefer bowls.

in any case, if you want something analytical and detailed, i really do like the k701. the k501 for jazz...

but i do agree that the sr60 are something special...pick up another pair and all will be right again
wink.gif

Dec 10, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 10
TOTALLY understand!!
With an HF1 and RS1... I felt the need for something, different and more casual. I can't explain it. I wanted something to just rock out too. Plug into the TV and watch 49er games and NBA hoops, plug into the laptop for some music at work. The SR60 fits that bill VERY well. Phone rings... just toss em' on the couch and get the phone.

Forget the CD deck, DAC, IC's, headphone stand, tube amp... and all the support "stuff" that makes the RS1 SHINE. Thats the SR60, just plug the dam thing in... it sounds good, and won't constantly nag at you "hey you're listening to low-fi MP3 files."

Best of all, you can snag an SR60 used for $50!! What a deal!!

Some random comments

IMHO the DT880 is far from a rock-out can. I found it analytical, accurate, fast and detailed.... bit not groovy enough for my tastes. It also has some treble boost that color guitar and vocal sounds.

The MS2 is more dry and accurate than the HF1, lacks the bass kick and midrange snarl. IMHO the MS2 has more detail resolution than the HF1, by a little bit. If thats what youre after, then it could work for you.

I found the HHF1 very un-grado sounding. Very open, spatious, and some more energy at the ends of the spectrum. Much less center-stage image too. I found it like a mix between an AKG and HF1

garrett

Dec 10, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 10
Maybe you should think about having two cans for your different genres. Now I haven't heard the HF-1, but SR60 and bass where things I didn't equate when I was borrowing the SR60. I liked the SR60 for faster paced stuff, but not so much for general electronica or jazz. It seemed good at pop and some faster paced electronica (like Amon Tobin). That's the concensus of the starting Grados that I've gotten from people.....that they're light in bass emphasis (though I guess you can conteract that with bass boost or a tube amp). I'm awaiting some 325is I ordered (figured I needed something completely different then the HD650 to compliment it
wink.gif
). I'm expecting I'll like them for harder rock stuff....but I've always loved my Senns for electronica and alternative. I prefer a soundstage along with some bass. Now Beyers will do that too....just depends if you want more treble, or softer treble (which to my ears, the softer treble in the Senns is more speakerlike). So if you want some deals, the SR60 and the HD580 might be two cans you need to snare! I think they're both supposed to be good through the Go Vibe.

Dec 11, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 10
You hit it right on the head Kramer! I do think it's an attitude as much as the audio quality. It is the casualness I used the SR60 that I don't with the HF1 since I'm babying it. It's like hanging with the nice girl next door who's alot of fun rather than trying to impress the hottest babe; it's chowing down comfort food rather than gourmet dinning at a fine establishment. In some sense it's a certain freedom that you don't get with the premium rigs.

If I'm to go the route of a low end Grado, what do people think about the choices of SR60 vs. its senior sibilings? I will probably use these cans alot, so I'm willing to spend some money on it. The one thing though is comfort, and I think the Grado bowl will be out for me as I can never bear to wear it for too long. But I can also switch to the 414 again...

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TOTALLY understand!!
With an HF1 and RS1... I felt the need for something, different and more casual. I can't explain it. I wanted something to just rock out too. Plug into the TV and watch 49er games and NBA hoops, plug into the laptop for some music at work. The SR60 fits that bill VERY well. Phone rings... just toss em' on the couch and get the phone.

Forget the CD deck, DAC, IC's, headphone stand, tube amp... and all the support "stuff" that makes the RS1 SHINE. Thats the SR60, just plug the dam thing in... it sounds good, and won't constantly nag at you "hey you're listening to low-fi MP3 files."

Best of all, you can snag an SR60 used for $50!! What a deal!!

Some random comments

IMHO the DT880 is far from a rock-out can. I found it analytical, accurate, fast and detailed.... bit not groovy enough for my tastes. It also has some treble boost that color guitar and vocal sounds.

The MS2 is more dry and accurate than the HF1, lacks the bass kick and midrange snarl. IMHO the MS2 has more detail resolution than the HF1, by a little bit. If thats what youre after, then it could work for you.

I found the HHF1 very un-grado sounding. Very open, spatious, and some more energy at the ends of the spectrum. Much less center-stage image too. I found it like a mix between an AKG and HF1

garrett

Dec 11, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #7 of 10
The SR60 were my first real set of quality headphones and so maybe my memory of it isn't accurate. I just remember that I heard alot of thick low end that was new to me. Now remember that I was comparing to low end ear buds at the time, but it left a distinct impression on me.

How would you guys classify the SR60's sound? I'm just wondering if it's sonically different than the cans I have now, or if it's entirely psychological.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you should think about having two cans for your different genres. Now I haven't heard the HF-1, but SR60 and bass where things I didn't equate when I was borrowing the SR60. I liked the SR60 for faster paced stuff, but not so much for general electronica or jazz. It seemed good at pop and some faster paced electronica (like Amon Tobin). That's the concensus of the starting Grados that I've gotten from people.....that they're light in bass emphasis (though I guess you can conteract that with bass boost or a tube amp). I'm awaiting some 325is I ordered (figured I needed something completely different then the HD650 to compliment it
wink.gif
). I'm expecting I'll like them for harder rock stuff....but I've always loved my Senns for electronica and alternative. I prefer a soundstage along with some bass. Now Beyers will do that too....just depends if you want more treble, or softer treble (which to my ears, the softer treble in the Senns is more speakerlike). So if you want some deals, the SR60 and the HD580 might be two cans you need to snare! I think they're both supposed to be good through the Go Vibe.

Dec 11, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 10
I traded my HF-1s for Alessandros MS2is and haven't looked back. Much less bass boominess and clearer hi's and mid's. I used a M^3 amp with 637's and a 627 on the ground, which gives the headphones a more agressive high and bass kick. All-in-all, I greatly prefer my Alessandros to the HF-1s.

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #9 of 10
If its bass you are looking for - the Darth's have it! They really thump!! But its not a flabby out of control bass -- its very nice -- and the mids & highs are plenty present! The more they burn in the more refined they are becoming.
I"ve been through SR 60, HF1, MS1 & 2, RS1 (still have these & love em'), AT W100, HD580, HD600 - woody & HD 650. The Darth Beyer is, hands down, the most fun can I've experienced so far!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back