Like K601's, is ATH-W5000 a good choice ?
Mar 28, 2008 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mnemonix

100+ Head-Fier
I very much like my K601s and although I haven't heard the K701 I understand the 601 is warmer. I don't want to lose this warmth, but I am looking for more definition. Music tastes are all across the board but mostly acoustic, jazz & electronica.

The W5000 is often described as a detail monster, but ATs generally are also described as more "fun" than AKGs, which I interpret as being coloured and perhaps therefore warmer ? So... Is the W5000 what I'm looking for as an upgrade to my 601s ? I already have the ESW9 and don't seem to mind closed cans. If I went down this route I'd consider the HA-02 as a possible amp.

Mar 28, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 3
The W5000 is a headphone that definitely needs to be auditioned. I first heard it on the HeadAmp GS-X and was amazed. Then I heard it on the Yamamoto HA-02 which sounded ok, but not quite as good as on the GS-X. I've also heard it on the Lehmann Black Cube Linear and Eddie Current EC/SS, which were ok, but not really special for it. I also heard it on the Eddie Current Zana Deux and was less than amazed. That of course doesn't mean it doesn't sound good with the ZD, it just wasn't to my liking that much.

Very amp-picky these headphones...

Mar 28, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The W5000 is a headphone that definitely needs to be auditioned.

Unfortunately not possible in the UK (to my knowledge). I took a chance on the ESW9's and wasn't disappointed, but at their price they were obviously much less of a gamble.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very amp-picky these headphones...

Well, the AT-HA5000 might be the safest bet then for something guaranteed to synergise well with them, even if there is an amp somewhere out there that works even better. I've read and will re-read the W5000 owners amp registry thread anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back