Like a tank, a frickin' tank
Nov 20, 2009 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

FourierMakesFunk

100+ Head-Fier
Now that I have a little bit of free time I'm finally getting down to making a pair of headphones I've been dreaming about. The idea is to make the most tank like headphones possible (with-in reason, but we are talking about things like a solid milled aluminium body, gimbal mounted cups, etc.). Doing a lot of mixing, teching on shows and lots of audio based performances, one wants a pair of headphones that can take a licking and keep on ticking, and being an art student ( Example ) with machining skills, why not go all out?!

I need some help figuring out which interconnects would be best. I'm making a couple of pairs since the cable will be replaceable on the cans (4 pin xlr connection using the Neutrik X-HD series since I love working with Neutrik XLRs and their chuck-type strain relief system is lovely).

So in your guys experience [size=small]what are the most rugged and well build 1/4" and 1/8" plugs available?[/size] Furutech 1/4" looks good and I've looked at the Viablue 1/8"-ers, but their strain relief seems a bit weak for them.

Nov 20, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 11
I think I have some Neutrik X series connectors. Haven't put them to use yet but they are well made.

I think your biggest challenge will be choosing open vs closed and selecting drivers for your custom headphone. I've made my own k1000 style headphone and have modded several headphones with different drivers, so I know how hard it can be to get it right.

I made a thread in the Full Size forum about available drivers. You should check it out.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/pos...rivers-456070/

There's also a lot of driver information in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/diy...1-29-a-378233/

Nov 20, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 11
Furutech.... its overengineered just the way I like it
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think your biggest challenge will be choosing open vs closed and selecting drivers for your custom headphone. I've made my own k1000 style headphone and have modded several headphones with different drivers, so I know how hard it can be to get it right.

I'm using the Beyerdynamic DT48 drivers since they are durable, well regarded in my field, and the housing they are mean to fit in is just a milled out cap of metal (closed is needed). Good luck with your project!

Quote:

Originally Posted by aloksatoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Furutech.... its overengineered just the way I like it
smily_headphones1.gif

Just the way I like it also
wink.gif
but what about 1/8" plugs?

Nov 22, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #6 of 11
What are your plans for the headband? I find that this piece of the headphone which holds the cups in place is the hardest to engineer.

This goes for the bendable headband material, padding, swiveling cup supports and adjustable cup height.

Nov 22, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't a 165mm demolition gun be a bit too heavy for your head?

Perhaps, but I bet the subbass, though a bit boomy, would be killer. A looot of impact.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are your plans for the headband? I find that this piece of the headphone which holds the cups in place is the hardest to engineer.

This goes for the bendable headband material, padding, swiveling cup supports and adjustable cup height.

Since these are for me, the headband and cup height will be fixed. The cups will be mounted in a gimbal type support affixed to two arms. The arms will be hinged and sprung on the end opposite the drivers so the cups are pushed to the ears. I'll sew up a microfiber suede headband which will support the cans (in the same way AKG headphones do it).

So, the strongest 3.5mm plug? Anything stronger that Furutech and Neutrik 1/4" plugs?

Nov 22, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #10 of 11
Furutech are sexy big...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back