Lightweight over-the-head(phones) for running
Jun 18, 2007 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Moody

Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of lightweight over-the-head headphones which I can use for running.

I discovered my in-ears (Atrio M5's) are not suitable because of the seal. (when bouncing up and down the vacuum in your ears makes an annoying sound)

I think the Sennheiser PX100 will come close to the perfect running headphone, but also the Grado SR60 looks tempting. (but maybe too big/heavy for running???). Soundwise I'm prety spoiled with my M5's and Senn HD25's, so sound quality is an important issue.

Can you guys help me out here?? Thanks!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 11
I don't think a PX-100 would be tight enough. I'm seriously considering buying a PMX-100 for this purpose though
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firestarter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think a PX-100 would be tight enough. I'm seriously considering buying a PMX-100 for this purpose though
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't think I'd like an neckband headphone, beacause it's attached henging on the ears. I'm really looking for some over-the-head models.

Jun 18, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 11
+1 PX100

Jun 18, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #7 of 11
I own both the Sennheiser PX100 and AKG27i (they are labeled JBL but they are identical). I prefer the AKG's, both the sound and the fit. I think the AKG's will stay on your head. The Sennheisers sound bass shy. Some might describe this as neutral, but I think you'll lose what bass is there while running. I also find the Senns "cuppy" sounding. The AKGs are almost too tight for my head, but I use them while shooting hand-held camera and, so far, they work quite well and are accurate enough.

My other suggestion would be some Koss Porta-Pros. I have some that feature clips that are pretty snug. No matter which of us you listen to, you really want to try them first. Fit varies so much with headphones and even makes sound comparisons difficult.

Good luck.

Jun 18, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #8 of 11
the good thing about grados is that you can adjust them. mine fit very loosely - but you could bend the headband so that they have a tight fit. by the way, if you need a real headclamp, the sennheiser hd485 might be the choice
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 19, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Sinnott /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own both the Sennheiser PX100 and AKG27i (they are labeled JBL but they are identical). I prefer the AKG's, both the sound and the fit. I think the AKG's will stay on your head. The Sennheisers sound bass shy. Some might describe this as neutral, but I think you'll lose what bass is there while running. I also find the Senns "cuppy" sounding. The AKGs are almost too tight for my head, but I use them while shooting hand-held camera and, so far, they work quite well and are accurate enough.

My other suggestion would be some Koss Porta-Pros. I have some that feature clips that are pretty snug. No matter which of us you listen to, you really want to try them first. Fit varies so much with headphones and even makes sound comparisons difficult.

Good luck.

IMO everything except the Super fi.5 EB is bass shy to the K27i's.

Jun 21, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #11 of 11
Erm, I couldn't possibly imagine running with SR60s on. They might hold tight for the first few weeks, but the headband will flex and loosen. Though, iGrados might work. The Grado sound in a behind the neck form factor.

Even so, PX100s or PMX100s would be lighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back