Lightweight cans with good isolation for listening whilst studying
Jul 12, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #16 of 27
Is there much of a difference between the UE4000 and the UE6000 in passive mode?  Also I'm not sure that I'd be up for using active NC - what's the 6000 isolation like without the active NC switched on?

Thanks for some amazing responses, I'm as excited as I am confused! :)

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #18 of 27
Is there much of a difference between the UE4000 and the UE6000 in passive mode?  Also I'm not sure that I'd be up for using active NC - what's the 6000 isolation like without the active NC switched on?

The 4000 is more like the 6000 in active mode, but not quite as bassy. Both have good passive isolation with the 4000 being slightly better IMO.

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #19 of 27

The UE6000 passive isolation is very good. I never use the noise cancelling, and even on planes, I am able to play music at a reasonable volume.

In terms of passive isolation, the best headphone I have tried is the Focal Spirit One. The fit was partly on-ear for me, instead of completely circumaural, though, so I sold them. The clamping force made my ears a bit sore.

The Martin Logan Mikros 90 are on ear, very portable, and have good isolation.

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #20 of 27
I just ordered a UE4000 and UE6000 from Amazon US for $158, including international shipping and customs.  I couldn't look past the fact that they are both heavily reduced from Amazon, and I'll sell whichever one I feel is redundant.  I think I did okay, in that I sort of resisted the temptation to creep up the price ladder until I was commuting wish some Tesla T1s.  :wink:

Thanks to all who contributed, and I'm bookmarking this thread in case I don't like the sound signature, or for when the headphones break in the future.  Really appreciate the help.

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #21 of 27
  I just ordered a UE4000 and UE6000 from Amazon US for $158, including international shipping and customs.  I couldn't look past the fact that they are both heavily reduced from Amazon, and I'll sell whichever one I feel is redundant.  I think I did okay, in that I sort of resisted the temptation to creep up the price ladder until I was commuting wish some Tesla T1s.  :wink:

Thanks to all who contributed, and I'm bookmarking this thread in case I don't like the sound signature, or for when the headphones break in the future.  Really appreciate the help.

how true is that! when you start looking for stuff you just think "these would be so screw** nice, I want them!", and the price goes up and up.... glad you didn't lost to the temptations

anyway... amazing buy, but I would bet you will sell the UE4000 due to the greater comfort of the UE6000. at least you have the option! 
beyersmile.png
 and don't forget to report back once they arrive

Jul 23, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #23 of 27
Okay, the UE 4000s have arrived.  I haven't listened for very long, but I'd like to give my initial impressions.  Disclaimer: I have probably been spoiled in the past with SRH840s, and also probably forgotten just how bad $5 Deal Extreme IEMs are.  :)

I really like the comfort, and they feel well-built without being ridiculously heavy.  Israel is a pretty hot country, but I've been able to walk around outside for 20 minutes without sweaty-ear syndrome.

Sound-wise, I've been a little bit underwhelmed.  So far we've had Signals by Rush, and the first Velvet Revolver album.  At first I was really disappointed, bad artefacts etc...  Then I cleared the cache on Google Play Music (Android) and set streaming quality to High (Normal is the default).  They sound... fine.  I mean, not offensive or anything, but not really making me go wow.  A little muffled / veiled / fake perhaps.  I'm not sure if this is the bass punching too hard, or just a lack of clarity at the top end, I find it hard to describe sound with words.  I checked my phone a few times to make sure there were no EQ or sound processing involved.

To be fair, for $20 plus shipping (yes I went purple), they are great.  I need to keep my perspective and remember I was on a budget this time.  But I'm keen for the UE 6000s to arrive, to see how they compare.  Plus of course, I might appreciate the 4000 sound signature more over time.  I will also say that being comfortable on the veiled side, means that I should have no problem to listen for a long time without fatigue.

I've used the mic as well on a phone call - nice bonus.  Sadly the volume buttons don't work with my Moto G, but that doesn't bother me.

So thanks for the recommendations, and I'll report back when the 6000s come. :)

PS I don't recommend the purple, it's brighter than it looks in the pictures.  :wink:

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #24 of 27
Okay, the UE6000s have arrived.  From the first notes of Velvet Revolver's Sucker Train Blues, I knew this would be good.  Great soundstage, detail, nice and punchy without being overblown. Very comfortable. Definitely more in love with these than the 4000s, but I need to listen to both more.

The bottom line, is that I got myself a couple of decent pairs of cans for what I think is a great price.  I don't see the point of selling the 4000s, I only paid $20, and they'll be good for situations where I need to grab some cans and listen, I'm less worried about nannying them.  I'll see how it pans out.

The noise cancellation seems to do very little.  With no source, if I clap my hands, there's no difference with NC on or off.  It does provide an overblown EQ to the presentation.

Just got to Stone Temple's Interstate Love Song.  Quite a layered mix, and the UE6000s give me a surprising amount of detail as well as excitement without being annoying.

Thanks so much to everyone for your input!

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #25 of 27
Yep. Nice headphones aren't they :)

Definitely handy to have a second set just to leave around the house. Or one to use somewhere where you figure your nicer ones might get messed up.

Jul 24, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #26 of 27
glad to see you like your choices 
wink.gif

about the NC, is works mostly, to avoid saying only, with lower freq noises, like the continuous buzz of an airplane, train, fridge, etc. Almost non-efective regarding voices, cell phones, and as you noticed, clapping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back