Lightning to USB-B cable (anyone using this?)
Feb 14, 2022 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

redryder

100+ Head-Fier
I'm interested to buy a Topping DAC/Amp (EX5) that has USB-B has an input. My source is an iphone.

Amazon has Lightning to USB-B midi cables on sale, but I wonder if they work? Has anyone tried it before for external DACs?
Amazon link

Alternatively, could I use the Apple camera kit and connect a separate USB-A to USB-B cable?

Feb 16, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 5
I have used USB-C to B and it carries audio well. Can only assume Lightning would work, too.

Feb 16, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 5
I have used USB-C to B and it carries audio well. Can only assume Lightning would work, too.
I wouldn't be so sure. USB-C can do just about anything, from fast charging to connecting external monitors, while lightning ports are sort of stuck in the stone ages as far as compatibility goes. To connect something external, you usually have to use apple's lightning to camera adapter, as its one of the few things that iphones support, and then run USB-A out from it to USB-B on the topping. Of course there may be exceptions to this, but if you want the most reliable solution, go with the camera adapter and a usba to b cable. (A cheap printer cable should do the trick unless your running it over a distance greater than about 12ft or 4 meters).

Feb 16, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 5
Ah, learned something new. Thank you!

Feb 19, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #5 of 5
Those cables supposedly work but the quality is questionable. I use CCK and a usb A to B cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back