Lightning Fast Guitar Work - An Oldie
Nov 25, 2006 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

pds6

1000+ Head-Fier
Its been a while since I played it, but the album, Friday Night In San Francisco has some of the fastest guitar work I have ever heard.

On a Firday Night in 1980, three guitar players, John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola and Paco de Lucia, performed flamenco-fusion inspired music.

Paco de Lucia is one of the great flamenco guitar players and is said to be able to play 18 notes per second.

Al Di Meola is a great jazz guitar player and another speed demon.

John McLaughlin is also a well known jazz and fusion guitar player and a well known speed merchant.

An album that should not be left in the back of the closet. Great album and a lot of fun. Speed!

Nov 25, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 16
Yet another album that made me go back to scale practicing.
biggrin.gif

I still can't fathom playing as fast as Paco de Lucia with my fingers. Yeesh.

Nov 25, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 16
Yep, it's a nice album. How they maintain such cleanliness on acoustic guitars while ripping through that material the way they do is beyond me.

In the words of somebody else on some other forum - 'Screw G3, this is the real shredfest.'

Nov 26, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Paco de Lucia is one of the great flamenco guitar players and is said to be able to play 18 notes per second.

I'm just a bit sceptical:
18 notes per second x 60 seconds = 1,080bpm
eek.gif
That trounces rock/metal shredders by quite a mile. I need to listen to that.

Nov 26, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #5 of 16
according to wikipedia:

"Being an incredibly talented guitarist, he is known to many as the master of rasqueados and picados. Paco de Lucia has an incredible command of blinding speed on the nylon string guitar. It is said that he is able to play 16th note triplets at 180 BPM (that is, 18 notes per second)."

Nov 26, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

That trounces rock/metal shredders by quite a mile. I need to listen to that.

Al Di Meola is one of the original and maybe the fastest shredders ever and Paco de Lucia is probably faster.

Nov 26, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #8 of 16
That is a really great disc, I was lucky enough to see them in New Orleans on April 1981 - that show was really amazing. John Mclaughlin is also a great guitar player, his guitar work on Miles Davis' Bitches Brew and the Mahavishnu Orchestra stuff he did in the 70's is equally impressive.

Nov 26, 2006 at 12:06 PM Post #11 of 16
infinitesymphony says:
Quote:

Mahavishnu Orchestra's Inner Mounting Flame

I have not listened to John Mclaughlin in this configuration in years. I might have to give this a second (maybe twenty-second) listen.

I always acknowledged the talent, but Fusion has alway left me empty. There was always a joylessness that I could never put my finger on. A sense of a wonderfully built machine performing a manual task.

The best electric guitarist in the world love Fusion?

EDIT: The word I may be looking for is "aimless". You can rap with a girl all day long. At some point you have to close the deal and ask her out. I don't think Fusion ever closes the deal.

Nov 26, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its been a while since I played it, but the album, Friday Night In San Francisco has some of the fastest guitar work I have ever heard.

On a Firday Night in 1980, three guitar players, John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola and Paco de Lucia, performed flamenco-fusion inspired music.

Al Di Meola is a great jazz guitar player and another speed demon.

John McLaughlin is also a well known jazz and fusion guitar player and a well known speed merchant.

An album that should not be left in the back of the closet. Great album and a lot of fun. Speed!

which format sounds best? Enhanced, Live, Original recording reissued, Original recording remastered

Nov 26, 2006 at 2:15 PM Post #13 of 16
markmaxx
Quote:

which format sounds best? Enhanced, Live, Original recording reissued, Original recording remastered

Dear Mark:
I lost my hair, waistline and hearing in the 70's.
tongue.gif

The three for ten dollars bin sound damn good to me.
blink.gif

Could one of you youngster help Mark?

ps: Its an older album and I'm not sure how many formats it would now be available in.

Good Luck

Nov 26, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The one listed on Amazon is all of those things. They just felt obligated to tell customers what had been done to the recording since the original.

I've heard this version and it sounds amazing. It's a great example of how good a relatively uncompressed album can sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6
The word I may be looking for is "aimless". You can rap with a girl all day long. At some point you have to close the deal and ask her out. I don't think Fusion ever closes the deal.

Yeah, I agree. I'm not really into fusion as a genre, but like other genres I'm not really "into," I think there are always exceptions. I think Inner Mounting Flame has the dark, trippy, acid-jazz-like atmosphere I like in a fusion recording. It's such a raw-sounding album, and as a guitarist, I love McLaughlin's ripping electric tone and the fact that the album isn't overdubbed to death. Deerhoof is one of a few new rock bands that reminds me of the visceral qualities of the album. It's always nice to hear some solid playing through a cranked vintage tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back