Lightning Equipped Headphones from Philips (Fidelio M2L)
Sep 10, 2014 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

ubjuris

Head-Fier
I wanted to share this with everyone; just saw it online: http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/10/philips-fidelio-m2l-lightning/

Apple recently updated it Made for iPhone (MFi) program with a new set of specificationsthat allow for the transmission of audio through Apple's Lightning cable port instead of the traditional 3.5-mm headphone jack. As spotted by Pocket-Lint, one of the first manufacturers to produce this new category of Lightning cable-equipped headphones is Philips, which is preparing its Fidelio M2L headphones for launch later this year. 

color]
The Fidelio M2Ls connect to an iPhone or iPad via a Lightning port and will support 24-bit audio using an internal DAC and amplifier built into the headphone unit. The closed headphones also feature two 40-mm high magnetic intensity neodymium speaker drivers and leather memory foam ear pads. 

The Philips Fidelio M2L headphones will be available starting in December. They will debut in Western Europe and North America with a suggested retail price of €250/$320.

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 25
I just saw that too. Though I do have an iPhone, I don't like the idea of being limited to using the headphones with only Apple devices. I don't think it has a 3.5mm jack for anything else.

And what about in 5-10 years when Apple moves on to the next interface? I'm still pissed they abandoned the 30-pin. :mad:

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 25
[They had to in order to design thinner and faster interface devices]

They only need to sell to a fraction of an installed customer base numbering in the millions and it pays off.

Seems kinda cheap relative to what others charge off the marketing of high res music, without factoring in mfi certification and built in Dac. Hmm

Sep 11, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #5 of 25
Interesting idea. I just saw this on The Verge and as long as the amp/dac is good, it might be a really good all in one solution.

Sep 11, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #6 of 25
I just saw that too. Though I do have an iPhone, I don't like the idea of being limited to using the headphones with only Apple devices. I don't think it has a 3.5mm jack for anything else.

And what about in 5-10 years when Apple moves on to the next interface? I'm still pissed they abandoned the 30-pin.
mad.gif

I think before long either Phillips (or which ever brand) and most of all little Chinese factories will come out with some adapter that allows these lightning only headphones to be reverse compatible with 3.5mm jacks. (just my theory) so the thoughts of being locked out to using these headphones with lightning only devices will not be a concern.

But if they however start taking the inbuilt dac/amp root inside the headphone it could cause quite a stir. I do wonder if technology is ready to take on such devices offering an audio experience we could consider worthy, or at this stage simply a gimmick.

I think one things for certain, it won't be long before we see beats start surfacing taking on the above concept. It's the perfect way to lock users out leaving them no other choice but to enjoy their ' beats' with an iPhone, touch, pad only. (keeping in mind Apple just bought beats)

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #7 of 25

I think before long either Phillips (or which ever brand) and most of all little Chinese factories will come out with some adapter that allows these lightning only headphones to be reverse compatible with 3.5mm jacks. (just my theory) so the thoughts of being locked out to using these headphones with lightning only devices will not be a concern.

But if they however start taking the inbuilt dac/amp root inside the headphone it could cause quite a stir. I do wonder if technology is ready to take on such devices offering an audio experience we could consider worthy, or at this stage simply a gimmick.

I think one things for certain, it won't be long before we see beats start surfacing taking on the above concept. It's the perfect way to lock users out leaving them no other choice but to enjoy their ' beats' with an iPhone, touch, pad only. (keeping in mind Apple just bought beats)

That's be quite the cumbersome little adapter.  I'd have to have power and it's own ADC, and then implement the Apple side of a lightning connector.  Then you'd basically be going digital->analog->digital->analog before it hit your ears.  Something tells me that'd not be of the highest fidelity.

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #8 of 25
Like any other tech it needs to be refined several generations down the line. That has been true since before the industrial revolution when they used mechanical instruments to navigate the sea for example.

Agree with above poster then that talk of adaptors and whatnot is premature.

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #9 of 25
That's be quite the cumbersome little adapter.  I'd have to have power and it's own ADC, and then implement the Apple side of a lightning connector.  Then you'd basically be going digital->analog->digital->analog before it hit your ears.  Something tells me that'd not be of the highest fidelity.

The adapters I mentioned were hypothetically for a headphone that simply replaced a 3.5mm jack for its audio signal 'only'. It's not possible when they're adding dac/amp inbuilt into a headphone, why my post continued on further.

Sep 11, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #10 of 25
The adapters I mentioned were hypothetically for a headphone that simply replaced a 3.5mm jack for its audio signal 'only'. It's not possible when they're adding dac/amp inbuilt into a headphone, why my post continued on further.

I'm not super familiar with the lightning spec, but I think it's a digital only connection, unlike the old 30pin, that did have an analog line out.  So a pair of headphones with a lightning connector must have a built in DAC.

Sep 11, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #11 of 25
I'm not super familiar with the lightning spec, but I think it's a digital only connection, unlike the old 30pin, that did have an analog line out.  So a pair of headphones with a lightning connector must have a built in DAC.

No, I think you're right, far as I'm reading lightening only supports digital therefore you were well within your rights to take my
post the way you did.

I'm reading this thread .
http://www.head-fi.org/t/627077/iphone-5-line-out/30

While admitting I haven't followed the whole lightning story I was under the assumption many of these new headphones would just be swapping out there 3.5mm plugs for lightening plugs but it's all out the window.

Sep 11, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #12 of 25
A much better solution would be a lightning to female 1/8" jack.  An adapter like that would have a DAC and pull power from the lightning port.  Then, your headphones 1/8" plug would still be universal, while also being "lightning" headphones.

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #13 of 25
  A much better solution would be a lightning to female 1/8" jack.  An adapter like that would have a DAC and pull power from the lightning port.  Then, your headphones 1/8" plug would still be universal, while also being "lightning" headphones.

This is an excellence Idea.  I like it, but in order to have this Adapter, I think the adapter needs some small chips and circuitry as the lightning is different in all aspect.  Somehow, if you can engineer a good diaphragm with the most efficient, you will win the market in a huge way. 

Apr 25, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #14 of 25

Users who are viewing this thread

Back