light in pocket and heart
Sep 23, 2004 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

tuatara

500+ Head-Fier
I have a friend whose fond of justifying his 'toys' with the phrase, "you're a long time in the ground". It's catching, a few weeks after getting the ATW1000 i've just ordered RS1s which should be here tomorrow.
It's one thing to search through threads on this site, it's another to get a solid core of opinion on anything. I say this after searching through every thread mentioning RS1 and MS pro, in the end the NZ$200 price difference favouring the Grados swung the choice, I think I'd be happy with either.

After being frustrated with the sound of the ATs and listing them locally for sale I finally found a perfect use for them, with vinyl playback.
Put on the 3lp reissue of Who's Next and the ATs started to sing, the sometimes harsh highs dissapeared and the midrange filled out, great sound.
Perhaps what they've needed with my cd playback is a good valve amp to make them more suitable for me.I've been certain that a system mismatch has been alot of the problem.
Now I'm hoping that my auction doesn't reach reserve as I'd like to hang onto them just for the lps.

Looking foward to hearing the RS1s though, I've wanted a set for years and finally they've reached a price i can justify if I try really hard.

Re the htread on headphone stands, I made one using oval alloy tubing, about 100mm diameter. This is about 30cm long and pluged each end with native NZ Rimu timber. The alloy is covered in black leather and supported on 2 20mm wooden legs that are pegged into a large oblong polished timber base around 40mm deep and 100mm wide. It's big enough to support 3 Grados and the W1000s and the curve of the Alloy tube matches the Grado band quite nicely.
Cost me $20 to make using as many materials to hand as I could find. With making lp racks and cd stands my cabinet making skills are coming along nicely thanks to my audio hobby(that's a good one for the wife)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back