Light-Hearted Music, Anyone?
Jan 6, 2008 at 3:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Ingo

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm sitting here listening to a nice clean vinyl LP called "Attempted Mustache" from 1973 by a guy named Loudon Wainwright III. The lyrics are light and cheeky and the music is pretty much on par with that.

Well, this got me thinking about all the artists I listen to that have fun, non-serious tunes. Barenaked Ladies is the first thing that comes to mind besides LWIII. Another one is the country legend Roger Miller. Believe me you can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd.

Anyone else ever listen to this kind of stuff?

Jan 6, 2008 at 8:31 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Love /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try The Beatles.

I would agree that the early Beatles were light-hearted but that's not really the kind of stuff I was talking about. I meant more like goofy comical lyrics and such. I didn't explain that at all in the original post.

Jan 7, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #6 of 13
They Might Be Giants.
Some of their lyrics are extremely dark, but most of the time they're just having fun
smily_headphones1.gif
If you like their style I'd start with a compilation, especially the awesome 2-disc Dial-A-Song.

Also The Shins.

I don't really have any albums that are 100% lighthearted but it's not hard to pull a bunch of tracks from the above.

Jan 7, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 13
Crash Test Dummies.

The Give Yourself A Hand album is one big innuendo. Brad Roberts is one funny man.

Obviously theres Weird Al as well, but hes a bit of a genre to himself. White and Nerdy was very win tho.

Jan 7, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #8 of 13
Light-hearted could go all the way form light hearted albums to comedy albums, but here's two picks you might like:

Comedy Album: Monty Python's Contractual Obligation Album
Lighthearted: The Agorophobic Cowboy - Rick Moranis

Jan 7, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pokeylicious /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Light-hearted could go all the way form light hearted albums to comedy albums, but here's two picks you might like:

Comedy Album: Monty Python's Contractual Obligation Album
Lighthearted: The Agorophobic Cowboy - Rick Moranis

Rick Moranis, Ay?

Thanks for the reccomendations everyone.

Jan 7, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #10 of 13
Tenacious D. Jack Black and Kyle Gass are f'ing brilliant. Also, check out Kyle Gass' other project, Trainwreck.

Also, Stephen Lynch is pretty brilliant, if a bit dark.

Jan 8, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #11 of 13
I Personally thought Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica was a nod to lighthearted. I mean, how can a guy who has an album cover with A Fish Mask be considered serious?

I also believe you could (sort of) put Zappa into this category too, although Zappa really defies ANY categories really. Montana, anyone?

Jan 8, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pokeylicious /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I Personally thought Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica was a nod to lighthearted. I mean, how can a guy who has an album cover with A Fish Mask be considered serious?

I also believe you could (sort of) put Zappa into this category too, although Zappa really defies ANY categories really. Montana, anyone?

I thought Trout Mask Replica was an inaccessible and discordant cocophany of squeaks and burbles, as melodic and pleasing as a dentists drill, although not as uncomfortable and about as light-hearted as a stretched cassette tape.

Loved (most) of Hot Rats though, which is the only Zappa I'm familiar with.

Jan 8, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #13 of 13
**** sword tobacco

Users who are viewing this thread

Back