Lifespan of leather earpads
Feb 26, 2013 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

squallkiercosa

Headphoneus Supremus
I was just wondering, usually earpads are the first part of a headphones that wears out, so for those with Stax, or Denon real leather earspad? how long have you been using your earpads? Thanks

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 2
As far as I know the Denon earpads are all synthetic...:ph34r:

The leather on my Sony and AT headphones has never been a problem, but let me qualify that:

- I've not had any of those cans for longer than around a year and a half individually.
- I take exceptional care of my equipment, and generally never have to replace earpads due to normal wear (I've accidentally torn/knicked a few though).

That said, just based on what I've felt "in hand" (so to speak), I would honestly venture that the leather pads I've variously had from Sony and AT would be among the last to wear out (the only thing I'd put ahead of them, purely because I've seen the results, would be Koss Pneumalite pads (these can last DECADES and still be functional, assuming they don't get punctured and deflate or dry out) - leather tends to be more comfy though).

With STAX I wouldn't worry about it as much - sure they're expensive, but not much more than competitive offerings from AT and Sony. Denon is where I'd be more concerned with parts availability long term.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back