Lifespan of a CD
Feb 12, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #16 of 21
30-40 years, or most probably a lot longer.
If stored in the right conditions that is (cold, dark, low humidity?)

Feb 12, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #17 of 21
Better brand CD-Rs when handled and stored properly should last a lifetime. Cheaper and generic brand CD-Rs IME in some cases have gone bad within 5 years. Archival quality and gold CD-Rs are said to have a shelf life rated at about 300 years.

I have a few audio cds I bought back in 1988 and they're perfectly fine today. Have kept those cds in their jewel cases when I'm not listening to them. Also stored them in a cool and damp free location.

Feb 12, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #20 of 21
There was a study done in the Caribbean that was started because a bunch of people reported that their CD's were no longer being read by their players.

What was found was, that the constant humidity in a non-climate controlled environment was causing a mold (unseen by the human eye) to form in the grooves of the CD's rendering the TOC unreadable and the CD's were useless.

So, I guess that one thing that should be avoided is years of humidity attacking your CD's.
Also, I've had CD-R's in my cars for years through many hot summers and cold winters that now say "no disc" in all of my players except for a computer CD-ROM (even then some don't read), so I would have to disagree with the statements that CD-R's don't degrade more quickly. These CD's are not scratched BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back