Life of a Dubstepper
Dec 20, 2013 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

Bassbanger101

New Head-Fier
Whats up guys. Here is a brand new thread for all things dubstep, all the time. It is also a place where bass lovers (such as myself) can bask in the glory of head rattling bass.  I will mention a dustep song to get this thread going. Just add onto it with your personal favorites and give some recommendations. We also accept noobies to the dubstep world and give suggestions or recommendations to them as they become hard core dubsteppers. However anyone caught using songs with inappropriate language in the song title or using inappropriate language in the thread itself will be immediately flagged.   Lets kick this off with one of my personal favorites, Swagga- Excision and Datsik. This song brings it all to the table and if you want bass that will shake your skull, this is the one. In no time at all this song gets right into the drop and will have your head vibrating before you realize how awesome the modulated vocals are. I mean seriously, I like the vocals in this song so much that I wish I had a bane style mask that would let me talk like this all the time. Overall the beat of this song is very direct and doesn't really get going too hard like some other songs. The beat is also fairly slow and uses the same sounds and in my opinion that lets you soak up the bass all the more because you don't have to spend time concentrating or trying to pay attention to other sounds and frequencies. But basically, the bottom line is, if you love bass, I would defiantly recommend this song but if you like high, fast beats, then I don't think this tune if for you. Make sure to keep checking out this thread for new dubstep news and as always new drops. Peace out.

Dec 20, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 56
Awesome, I couldn't think of a better way to start an epic thread - with a little Swagga.
Here's the highest quality version out there: 

Remember to hit that 720p button.  There are actually pretty good bass boosted versions out there, but -dare I say- Swagga truly sounds best in its original form. Huge sawing synths and a smooth, undulating bassline; certainly sets the bar high for any song!

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #3 of 56
Whats up Cap'n slow. Sweet name by the way. I am glad you agree with what I had to say. I also in turn agree with the fact that swagga sounds the best in its original form. Unless the person that bass boosts it really knows what they are doing, the song will sound all muddy with recessed mids and highs. Speaking of great bass songs, check out song of storms, ephixa remix. Talk about a good remixes, it reminds me of the epic Ellie Goulding song remix, Lights- Ellie Goulding bassnecter remix.  Over all the song isn't actually considered filthy dubstep with very hard pounding sounds that will have your skull rattling. It is more of a house song with a dubstep edge and a less repetitive synth line. Mixed in with that is some darn good bass lines. Each bassline is hard but not too hard to ruin the overall more relaxed feel of the song. The synths and basslines both work together to create a softer dubstep song but still with some great bass. Here is the best version i have been able to find. I hope you like it and make sure to help this thread get some replies. Peace out.

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 56
Good find Bassbanger.  The mastered version of the song (on the same channel) sounds even better IMO, it's just a bit smoother sounding with an ever-so-slightly different beat:

Speaking of Bassnectar, and thanks for reminding me, it's time for electronic music's best kept secret to come to light: Bassnectar & Seth Drake - Above & Beyond.  I stumbled across it recently, and could not believe how hard this song hits.  If you dislike harsh mids and treble, this might not be for you - grating describes much of the synth line.  But for some of us, it's exactly what we live for.

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #5 of 56
wub wub dubby!!!!!

Feed Me: Blood Red

Cookie Monsta: Ginger Pubes

Flux Pavilion - R00R

Zomboy - Pirate Hooker

random girl w/ a gun mix - couldn't resist posting this =P

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #7 of 56
Whats up guys. Thanks for the replies and make sure to keep them coming. I noticed the amazing female vocal dubstep posted by money4me247 reminded me a lot of, explosions (Gemini remix) - Ellie Goulding. Her last hit, and arguably more popular than the original, was Ellie Goulding's, Lights, Bassnectar remix. Bassnectar really brought the tempo of the song up and made it somewhat of a pop song with a dubstep edge. This is much like what Gemini did here. Just like in the Bassnectar remix, Gemini really brought the song to life with fast synths and  modulated vocals. It makes the song, much, much better (in my opinion) because, and I think a lot of people will agree with me here, Ellie Goulding's songs are usually too slow for what genre they are trying to fit in. That's what makes them so good to put dubstep remixes on. The dubstep mixes combine both things that people want to here which is Goulding's amazing voice mixed in with the bass and electronic sounds.That is demonstrated here as well as in many other remixes of Ellie Gouldings songs such as Starry Eyed- Ellie Goulding ( Jakwob Remix), under the sheets-Ellie Goulding ( jakwob remix) ( I know very few people have ever heard of that one but I will be doing a breakdown of it soon),Blackmill – Your Song (Ellie Goulding Dubstep Remix) , and the obvious , Lights- Ellie Goulding (bassnectar remix. These all are known for there great electronic interpretations of a great pop singers voice. Here are the links of the songs mentioned in this post.

Lights (Bassnectar Remix) - Ellie Goulding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGlIDlOqurA

Explosions (Gemini remix)- Ellie Goulding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9-O2OfTD5Y

Starry Eyed (Jakwob Remix)- Ellie Goulding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MTVREYgC7w

Your song (Blackmill Remix)- Ellie Goulding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScLVtsi0cfc

Under the sheets (Jakwob Remix)- Ellie Goulding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osUIm121egQ ( sorry for the bad sound quality but this song is pretty hard to find)

I hope you guys enjoyed and make sure to leave a reply. Help make this thread become more popular. Peace out.

Dec 27, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #8 of 56
Good stuff everyone.  I notice we're going more in the direction of melodic dub/chillstep/liquid dub/pop - and that's not a bad thing, I'm loving this stuff actually.  There's time in the future to post some classic dubstep, even drum and bass.  But for now, how about some pulsing bass and modulated vocals:  Emalkay - When I Look At You  pulls if off perfectly.  A classic tune, uploaded to the UKF Dubstep channel in 2009.

And these links are practically gold mines for lighter dubstep.  Just putting up the links because there are tons of videos.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20131005213532AA0wvMi

http://www.edmsauce.com/2013/02/04/10-melodic-dubstep-tracks-you-need-to-listen-to/

Enjoy!

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #9 of 56
Whats up guys. I am loving all the great dubstep flowing in this thread, keep it coming. I just have a quick post today and one amazing group to share. Like cap'n slow said in the last post, it does seem that we are flowing in the direction of some dub/chillstep/liquid dub/pop. I decided that I would add onto that are share a gem that I have been holding onto for a while now. There is not a whole lot I can say about this group and I recommend you just go check it out yourself. I also know that this isn't strictly  "Dubstep", per say but I think that you guys will enjoy it. Here is the link to the youtube channel, make sure to check it out and make sure you have your headphones on and  the volume to the max, this ,is monstercat.     http://www.youtube.com/user/MonstercatMedia

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #11 of 56
Not sure if a lot of the songs I'm thinking of belong in an "electronic" thread (the amount of sub-genres in electronic music is a bit inane). I actually discovered dubstep in 2009/2010 when I came across Angry Goose. It was simple and genuine and unlike anything I'd ever heard. I've since "softened up" up a bit and enjoy quite a bit of electro and very melodic tracks nowadays. I think many people would consider the tracks I speak of as dubstep but many long-time OG dubstep fans may disagree.

I absolutely love tracks like this, for example. Climatic points in the track as they build: 0:36, 1:05, 2:00.

Climatic points in the track as they build: 0:54, 1:21, 3:10.

Surely most know of this amazing track. 

Climatic points: 0:55, 1:34.

Another great track (IMO). 0:25, 1:20, 2:00.

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #13 of 56
Some seriously good stuff here. While we're (sorta) on the subject of pop remixes, I'm just going to throw in two of my favorites.
Foster The People - Pumped Up Kicks (Butch Clancy Remix), some of you might recognize this as the song in the viral dance video, PUMPED UP KICKS|DUBSTEP

Coldplay - Paradise (Glebstar Remix), I actually like the original song and this remix keeps the best parts intact while mixing in a masterful synth line.

Medicalpartisan, excellent point regarding the subgenres of electronica (and thanks for sharing some great tracks). I've always remarked that a few hours on Wikipedia educating oneself on the world of electronic music is a great idea, as there is a staggering amount to learn (as with other genres as well). Also, your musical tastes sound a bit like mine, I believe my journey started with some Skrillex and Excision. That's a whole other story though. Now I find I can appreciate most any electronic music, actually I recently listened to one of those hour-long trance/dance mixes in earnest and really enjoyed it.

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #14 of 56
I just spent about four to five hours on SoundCloud and got about 40 new tracks. I wasn't click-happy; I took time in picking tracks I really liked. I've liked and favorited all of them on my Soundcloud (@MedicalPartisan) so you don't have to search for them all yourself. Most of this is what I consider melodic dubstep/electronic. If you like that genre I highly recommend peeping some of these tunes!

Also, if on mobile, soundcloud says I have no liked music, just click the likes tab again and it will show them. Soundcloud glitch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back