Life After ATH-CK7
Jan 18, 2008 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Cecala

Headphoneus Supremus
I currently own the Audio Technica ATH-CK7 earphones and while pleasant, I now wish to move on to bigger and better things.
I am after very good to excellent isolation and better sound than the CK7s. I am after detail, clarity definition and body.

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:22 AM Post #2 of 9
Remember that when it comes to canalphones, many people hear things differently.

From the CK7, you might wish to seek earphones higher up in the Etymotic family tree. The ER4P is a very good option to look at, and I liked its details a lot if anything. It performs at a higher level as compared to the CK7, but incomparison, the bass would lack the slam that the CK7 can deliver.

If you're after a different sound though, the UE and Shure line of earphones are always worth a look. Coming from the CK7 though, IME, the SF5P is only the slightest bit of an upgrade, but the sound would carry a greater impact of bass, and a trade off being mids that feel recessed in comparison to the CK7.

I for one, went from the CK7 to the E4/SE310, but still switched back between the E4 and CK7 every now and then when I wanted a different presentation of sound.

The rest however, is perhaps a story for next time =)

Jan 18, 2008 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by raptor84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went form ck-7 to er-4p and am loving the extra detail and slightly wider sound stage. The isolation is also way better and I guess thats a contributing factor..

Thanks for the reply.
What is the Bass response compared to the CK7s?

Jan 18, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by glac1er /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ X2

For similar sound sig with more refinement you could try the ER4P/S or q-JAYS for that matter. Seems that in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=286389 , mwallace573 was happy upgrading to q-JAYS from CK7.

Or you can always try other brands for different type of sound and Shure SE530 is a good option.

Thanks. I will read this pronto after some sleep.

Jan 18, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by glac1er /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mwallace573 was happy upgrading to q-JAYS from CK7.

Or you can always try other brands for different type of sound and Shure SE530 is a good option.

Darn tooting I was.
biggrin.gif

Real quick on the subject of tips. The q-JAYS have some kind of propritary nozzle, so you can only use their tips for the time being AFAIK. It's similar to a UE nozzle but about half the diameter. Man I can't wait for their foamies to come out.

If you want to save some money you can coax a bit more isolation out of your CK7 by getting some UE foamies. They will darken up the sound just a tiny bit, but they are still quite enjoyable. You can get a set of 20 for $20 from seller idealsound on the eBay.

Jan 18, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #8 of 9
The bass definitely goes much deeper but unless you can get a good fit and seal the slam is not as apparent. IMO it needs to go with a warm amp if you want to feel the THUMP
biggrin.gif
A-Bing with the ck-7's now the amount of detail that the er's can reproduce is astounding..

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #9 of 9
My ER4S is more refined than my CK7 but I actually prefer the CK7 on a day to day basis because the ER4S sounds too thin without a 3 dB boost at the lower end.

My next IEM will be the Triple Fi 10which will combine the best of both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back