Library Cans?
Jul 17, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #16 of 27
Hopefully, people aren't talking loud in a library. But there are obnoxious people everywhere, so it's bound to happen occasionally.

At my listening level, I've not found a closed can that isolates well enough to block out loud people. IEMs don't work for extremely loud people.

The HD280 comes closest of the ones I've tried. I've not tried the HD-25-1 because I didn't want to spend that kind of money only to be disappointed.

Jul 17, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #17 of 27
If you have a good seal, IEMs isolate well. Even my cheapo Skullcandys reduce loud lawn equipment to a quiet hum in the background of the music. And the volume doesn't have to be anywhere near the ear-damaging levels of open earbuds. Plus, since they're sealed, there's no leakage-great for the library.

Jul 17, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #18 of 27
k1000s

Jul 19, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoPants /img/forum/go_quote.gif
k1000s

Is this supposed to be a serious suggestion?

-----------

To OP: I would look around iem's before anything if you're using this mostly for library.

I don't know what kind of person you are but if I ever go to the library (which I rarely do) with an iPod, I'd just use my iBuds or whatever earplugs I can get my hands on because I use it just for background music. In fact I almost never carry an iPod to a library in my life.

Why? It's just that for me, if I'm forced make myself go to a library, I know I'm in business... Get the job done asap and listen to music afterwards. Distraction is unacceptable.

Jul 19, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #20 of 27
The 770s 80ohm would do it, but they make a vise grip clamp on your head. Plus they don't sound near their best out of a portable (not as good as other easier to drive cans).

I'd get some iems and call it a day. I also like the px200 suggestion. Lightweight phones that won't clamp your skull too hard.

Jul 19, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #21 of 27
Something closed is pretty much a must. Or an IEM. You don't hopefully want to disturb the others.

Jul 20, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #22 of 27
I would suggest a boombox. Turn it on, crank it up and enjoy!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Nah, really I'd go with an IEM. Best isolation and low leakage.

Jul 20, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hopefully, people aren't talking loud in a library. But there are obnoxious people everywhere, so it's bound to happen occasionally.

At my listening level, I've not found a closed can that isolates well enough to block out loud people. IEMs don't work for extremely loud people.

The HD280 comes closest of the ones I've tried. I've not tried the HD-25-1 because I didn't want to spend that kind of money only to be disappointed.

The 25-1 has less isolation than the HD280.

Jul 20, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #24 of 27
As a former library geek I suggest iems or Audio Technica ES7s or one of their over-the-ear sets.

After a year I still like my ES7s very much. Better than my D1000s.

Mooch

Jul 21, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #25 of 27
thanks guys. all of this information is making this decision even harder. haha.

anyways, i should have been more specific, isolation is to block music from reaching others, the isolation of sound coming in is not my highest priority.

Jul 21, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by numberoneoppa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks guys. all of this information is making this decision even harder. haha.

anyways, i should have been more specific, isolation is to block music from reaching others, the isolation of sound coming in is not my highest priority.

Again, your best choice would be an IEM. They're great for keeping your music in as well as blocking outside noise. Plus in-ear is the most comfortable in the long run as a pair of cans that retains sound really well would also be very tight and clamping on the head.

Jul 21, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #27 of 27
ES7s and the don't leak out enough to be a problem even for someone sitting next to you. Other than iems (for the price I like my Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3s) I'd take ES7s to the library and grin a lot while I was there.

However, as someone who used to teach college students and business execs how to study I would generally recommend music only if it was boring and used only to block outside noises. The better you make music sound and the more you like your music selections the harder it is to maximize concentration. A lot of people will argue with this, but I haven't heard any arguments from someone who has credentials in the study of memory and learning comparable to or exceeding mine.

Mooch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back