LH Labs Lightspeed Revive
Jun 20, 2016 at 10:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Angular Mo

100+ Head-Fier
I have not seen a thread dedicated to this battery-powered USB regenerator.

I received mine just this weekend and am using it with my iPhone and Geek Out 1000 v1

Still testing it, I sometimes get horrible crackling noise, could be my cables.

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 22
Just got one, couldn't get it to work. Use the Geek Out Signature v1 as dac. Connected it to Vaunix Lab Brick powered usb for the signal, and to another usb port in the Vaunix for power. Got the initial download of files for the PC, but no sound from JRiver from my PC. Reconnected my old set up, Regen into the GO SE, music back. Any ideas?

Never mind, not sure why, just took it all apart and reconnected it again, don't think I did anything different, but it seems to be working. Now, some time for burn in, then will have to get some impressions.

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 22
I use the Revive with my iPhone as a source, not with a computer since that use-case is when I need a battery. I use it for home-mobility. Sorry I am not helpful.

I use a Schiit Wyrd, or Uptone Regen, or a Wyrd4Sound Remedy USB Reclocker to fix the USB signal.

When you say it is not working, does that mean you are not able to power the DAC/AMP?

Does JRiver have a setting for DAC input? I would check that setting and also ensure your PC can see your DAC now that the Revive is inserted in your audio chain.

(Apologies if these suggestions are trivial.)

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #4 of 22
Thanks for the input, I got it working, listening now, will have to do some comparisons at some point, but just letting it play for now.

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #6 of 22
How does the Revive compare to the LPS?

Beats me, don't have the LH LPS (use a one for my ZOTL, but only connects to 1 unit).

Jul 1, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #7 of 22
  How does the Revive compare to the LPS?

Of course they do fundamentally different things and are complementary, but if your question is which one makes the most improvement in sound quality, that may be difficult to assess across a wide range of systems. I installed mine about two weeks ago and have it powered from the 5V output on the back of the LHLabs LPS. 

After the Revive I use a short Curious Cables REGEN link to a Mutec MC-3+ USB reclocker and USB-to-SPDIF converter, then AES into a LHLabs Pulse Xfi (also powered by the LPS). Input is from a Mac Mini powered by an Uptone JS-2 LPS. Looking for other potential USB A to USB C short cables. Any ideas?

I need more listening time before I remove the Revive and try to discern any potential changes and improvements. Will report back later. The Mutec additionally does galvanic isolation so, I only expect the upstream Revive to provide only minimal improvement, if any. But we shall see....

Jul 1, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #8 of 22
If I'm reading the description correctly, the Revive has an internal battery and can be used without and external power supply?  

Jul 1, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #9 of 22
If I'm reading the description correctly, the Revive has an internal battery and can be used without and external power supply?  

Correct, I believe it charges, so you still plug it in, to charge an internal battery

Jul 1, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 22
I don't get why adding an LPS prior to the Revive should make any improvement, now that I think about it, as one of the functions of the Revive is to provide clean battery usb power to the dac. An I correct?

Jul 9, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #12 of 22
I don't get why adding an LPS prior to the Revive should make any improvement, now that I think about it, as one of the functions of the Revive is to provide clean battery usb power to the dac. An I correct?

Yes! It could use its internal battery. Or external LPS 5V input.

That begs the question...does it NEED an external power supply? (Obviously, it runs without it, but does it benefit sonically? Doesn't it have is own battery, and just use the external power to recharge the battery?

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #13 of 22

It needs external power. But you could unplug the ext power to let battery run itself. If you could input LPS 5V there will be even better. It's a dual power design.

Jul 14, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #14 of 22
Larry,
Why is LPS better? Doesn't the external power solely charge the battery, and the device is powered by the battery during operation?
With that said, mine is powered by an LHLabs LPS, as it had an open port anyway. I just want to know if (and, if so, why) it makes a difference to power the Revive from an LPS.

Aug 20, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #15 of 22
  Larry,
Why is LPS better? Doesn't the external power solely charge the battery, and the device is powered by the battery during operation?
With that said, mine is powered by an LHLabs LPS, as it had an open port anyway. I just want to know if (and, if so, why) it makes a difference to power the Revive from an LPS.

When there is LPS present. Revive will skip the internal battery power and use LPS directly.
Battery power is the second priority when there is no external power supply there.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back