LG G8 ThinQ
Sep 1, 2019 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

udesign48

100+ Head-Fier
https://www.meridian-audio.com/abou...with-new-lg-smart-phone-listening-experience/

The new LG G8 ThinQ smartphone boasts exceptional fidelity and fine-tuned audio quality. A stereo musical image is delivered from balanced drive units working in harmony to produce a realistic sound stage, positioning vocals from a central image. Improvements to bass timing and alignment ensure maximum, undistorted audio performance and the overall spatial balance is improved to create a crisp, clear sound reproduction. The smartphone’s precise and detailed tuning removes any unwanted distortion, resulting in realistic vocals for a natural and engaging sound experience that feels more like the original recording.

“This is the next exciting phase of our ‘Audio Tuned with Meridian’ partnership with LG, following our collaboration on the innovative LG V40 ThinQ smartphone last year” comments John Buchanan, Meridian’s Chief Executive Officer. “Meridian delivers experiences that go beyond the ordinary and working together with LG to develop these new smartphone models for 2019 allows us to expand our offering and make the Meridian experience more accessible for people to enjoy, no matter where they are.”

The LG G8 ThinQ smartphone features Crystal Sound OLED (CSO), an innovative technology that utilises the phone’s OLED display as an audio amplifier. CSO also improves clarity, making voices easier to discern and subtle musical notes more noticeable.

The LG G8 ThinQ also comes complete with DTS:X 3D Surround Sound that emulates a 7.1-channel system with or without earphones, Hi-Fi Quad DAC that elevates the listening experience by reproducing sound with exceptional fidelity and the added ability to up-sample most audio files for increased clarity and depth, Master Quality Authenticated (MQA) that supports high-quality audio streaming even without an unlimited data plan, and a Boombox Speaker that takes advantage of the internal space of the phone as a resonance chamber to generate powerful bass and more volume.

http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en...nables-high-audio-quality-latest-lg-g8-phone/

SABRE® and QUAD DAC TM Technology from ESS Enables High Audio Quality in the Latest LG G8 Phone
The G8 ThinQ Continues LG’s Commitment to Innovative Audio Features and Market-Leading Sound Quality Based on SABRE®and QUAD DAC™ Technology from ESS

Milpitas, California - ESS Technology, the industry leader in HiFi audio and analog design, announced today that its audio System-on-Chip (SoC), The ES9218P, powers the latest G8 ThinQ smartphone by LG.

The new G8 ThinQ from LG delivers audiophile sound-quality delivered by ESS Technology’s ES9218P. The ES9218P is a System-on-Chip that offers impressive sound quality to mobile devices, designed to meet the demanding needs of mobile applications. The ES9218P is built around the legendary ESS SABRE® DAC. The technology provides amazing sound quality with a stable image and immersive sound-stage. The ultra-low noise QUAD DAC Technology reduces background hiss without consuming significant power from the battery.

The ES9218P has a unique high-power headphone driver that allows the G8 ThinQ to deliver up to 2vrms output power, enough to support the most demanding of headphones. This gives the G8 significant headroom compared to other phones which deliver less than half the voltage. The extra power eliminates the need for accessory devices that are bulky and expensive.

“ESS is pleased to be working with and enabling LG, the market leader in providing high audio quality phones. The G8 ThinQ sets the new phone audio standard by combining ESS audio chip technology with other audiophile features like MQA, Boombox speakers, audio tuning by Meridian, and the new Speaker Screen technology” said Robert Wong, VP of Sales and Marketing for ESS Technology.

About ESS Technology
For more than three decades, ESS Technology has been on the cutting edge of audio technology. A privately-held fabless semiconductor company, ESS Technology designs and markets high-performance analog and HiFi audio devices for mobile, consumer, automotive, and professional audiophile systems. The company was founded in 1984 and Today ESS Technology is best known for its SABRE series of high-performance audio products. For more information, visit http://www.esstech.com.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 58
You are late with the thread. V50 and V50S are both out and far superior I would say audio wise amoung other things.

What you don't take into account is that not everyone uses Sprint or Verizon. For those on the likes of say T-Mobile the LG G8 ThinQ is the phone available. I personally would be interested in hearing others (owners) thoughts of the SQ of the QuadDac used.

Oct 12, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #6 of 58
So can you guys agree that we can rank SQ of LG devices like below ?
1.V50
2.G8
3.V40
4.V20, V10
5.V30

I own both V20 and V30. V20 sounds better than V30. I had V10 too... and I think it sounded just as good as V20.
I don't hear much difference between V10 and V20 but I think V10 was better in some ways.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 58
You are late with the thread. V50 and V50S are both out and far superior I would say audio wise amoung other things.

Why is it better audio wise? Is it not the same processor/dac? What else does the US v50 do that the g8 cant do?
Does the unlocked v50 work on ATT? I do like the dual screen of the v50...but thats only for korea...Should I wait for the v60?

I have the v30 now

Oct 24, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #9 of 58
I'll wait for v60.

Or the G8x being released next week in the US. The is the model people thought was going to be the V60 when introduced but LG pulled a fast one. For the time being, it seems the "G" series will be reserved for 4G while the "V" is handling 5G, so the G8x should be top-of-the-line for all else, unless you need 5G. Unlocked G8x model with second screen refined and improved from V50s included will be only $700 retail.

All LG phones use the same 9218P DAC, but starting at the V40 (and G8) they changed tuning partner to Meridian (from B&O)---resulting in a noticeably smoother sound than the previous models. Starting at the V35, all the audio "extras" like DTS-X and EQs were added.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #10 of 58
Why is it better audio wise? Is it not the same processor/dac? What else does the US v50 do that the g8 cant do?
Does the unlocked v50 work on ATT? I do like the dual screen of the v50...but thats only for korea...Should I wait for the v60?

I have the v30 now
I always important from Korea my LG V series phones. I get the first updates and is fully unlocked device.

Oct 24, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #11 of 58
Using this page, target any phone LATER in the list than the V40--that includes the G8. These are all Meridian tuned and sound smoother than the pre-V40 models IMHO (having owned many of them for comparison).

The V50 adds 5G as it's main advantage, not any audio improvements.

https://www.gsmarena.com/lg-phones-20.php

If you want to read about Meridian's involvement with LGs later phones (developer of one the greatest audio invention in history--DVD-Audio), see the previously posted info.

Oct 24, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #13 of 58
Or the G8x being released next week in the US. The is the model people thought was going to be the V60 when introduced but LG pulled a fast one. For the time being, it seems the "G" series will be reserved for 4G while the "V" is handling 5G, so the G8x should be top-of-the-line for all else, unless you need 5G. Unlocked G8x model with second screen refined and improved from V50s included will be only $700 retail.

All LG phones use the same 9218P DAC, but starting at the V40 (and G8) they changed tuning partner to Meridian (from B&O)---resulting in a noticeably smoother sound than the previous models. Starting at the V35, all the audio "extras" like DTS-X and EQs were added.

Looking like I will be picking this up either upon release or during the holiday season. not only for the dac, but also for the second screen.

Oct 24, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #15 of 58
... and no I'm not expecting any audio enhancements with the G8x. But I have the similarly tuned V40 and it really doesn't need any...

It would be nice if LG would freaking give us the ability to change the impedance. We're not morons that are going to blow our ears out by hooking up earbuds on high impedance. But I guarantee they don't offer that to protect themselves from a lawsuit... from some idiot who does just that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back