LG G7 ThinQ to DAP...upgrade?
Dec 25, 2019 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tool462

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

I am in the process of converting my desktop stuff to full portable setup due to my job.

I currently have an. LG G7 ThinQ dedicated to only music listening. I use it with Mee Audio M6 Pro/KZ ZS10 at the gym and Mee Pinnacle P1 or Campfire Audio Dorado for airplane/work.

I love the sound and capability of full Android on the G7.

But naturally I am curious how much of an audio upgrade it would be if I went to a pure dedicated DAP like a Fiio M11 Pro, Hiby R6 Pro, or iBasso DX200?

I don't mind having a less sexy UI or anything, sound is all that matters. If my Zune HD had a microSD slot and a little more driving power I would still be using it!

Dec 25, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 11
Ibasso dx160.

Dec 25, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 11
Hey all,

I am in the process of converting my desktop stuff to full portable setup due to my job.

I currently have an. LG G7 ThinQ dedicated to only music listening. I use it with Mee Audio M6 Pro/KZ ZS10 at the gym and Mee Pinnacle P1 or Campfire Audio Dorado for airplane/work.

I love the sound and capability of full Android on the G7.

But naturally I am curious how much of an audio upgrade it would be if I went to a pure dedicated DAP like a Fiio M11 Pro, Hiby R6 Pro, or iBasso DX200?

I don't mind having a less sexy UI or anything, sound is all that matters. If my Zune HD had a microSD slot and a little more driving power I would still be using it!
It would be a major upgrade. It's not as simple as just 'buying some stuff', you have to research it. Different daps have different dacs and different sonic qualities. Then you have to look at IEMs, and how their particular strengths and weakness jive with the dap, you want good synastry. You also have to decide what your budget is.

Dec 25, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 11
It would be a major upgrade. It's not as simple as just 'buying some stuff', you have to research it. Different daps have different dacs and different sonic qualities. Then you have to look at IEMs, and how their particular strengths and weakness jive with the dap, you want good synastry. You also have to decide what your budget is.

I posted the thread as part of my research! I realize mid range DAPs have various signatures but as a whole, I am more curious what people have to say moving from an ES9218P based phone to a dedicated DAP.

The ES9218P is as good as it gets for phones and is even in some budget DAP/portable DACs.

Signature wise I'm leaning toward Fiio M11 Pro, especially if the used prices drop if the M15/Pro is released on the 28th like we assume.

But, the ultimate question is...is it worth the money to upgrade from the G7 to a mid range DAP?

Dec 25, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #5 of 11
I posted the thread as part of my research! I realize mid range DAPs have various signatures but as a whole, I am more curious what people have to say moving from an ES9218P based phone to a dedicated DAP.

The ES9218P is as good as it gets for phones and is even in some budget DAP/portable DACs.

Signature wise I'm leaning toward Fiio M11 Pro, especially if the used prices drop if the M15/Pro is released on the 28th like we assume.

But, the ultimate question is...is it worth the money to upgrade from the G7 to a mid range DAP?
Oh, I see, my bad!

Dec 26, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 11

With easy-to-drive IEM's like CCA C16, I am perfectly satisfied with SQ of my LG G8 and have no desire to "upgrade" to DAP's, which I know I won't bring everywhere like I bring my phone.
With G8, I can choose among 3 completely different sound characters by changing the Digital Filter settings (short, sharp, slow), and usually one setting sounds the best with certain IEM/music combo, so I would experiment with that first before changing anything myself.

Dec 26, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 11
worth or not is the matter of each person. I don't know how to judge worth of buying one thing...

I believe it is about solving the problem or causing you trouble.

"Better sonic experience" vs "carry one more thing in your bag"

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #8 of 11

Do you need that extra sound difference at the gym or at work ?

Are you willing to deal with issues that will or will not be resolved for chi-fi DAP , while you don't have issues with your G7 ( DX160 = Wifi issues , M11 = Streaming issues ... ) ?

Keep in mind that those device have short lifespan as they won't be updated anytime soon , iBasso's and FiiO's won't be updated to newer version of Android for example ...

Dec 26, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #9 of 11
Don't we all need better sound everywhere? :o2smile:

I don't stream or plan on using anything but Airplane Mode. My G7 doesn't even have the right time and date because it's been in AP mode so long.

OS issues is a good point! I do computer and cell phone forensics as part of my job so I spend a lot of time dissecting hardware as well as software but I suppose a certain persistent bug that went unfixed could be annoying over time.

I'll take the comments thus far as saying, yes, the sound is better but the experience may not be.

I'll keep an eye on the classifieds and probably make a beer influenced purchase and resell if I'm not happy!

Dec 26, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #10 of 11
Don't we all need better sound everywhere? :o2smile:

I don't stream or plan on using anything but Airplane Mode. My G7 doesn't even have the right time and date because it's been in AP mode so long.

OS issues is a good point! I do computer and cell phone forensics as part of my job so I spend a lot of time dissecting hardware as well as software but I suppose a certain persistent bug that went unfixed could be annoying over time.

I'll take the comments thus far as saying, yes, the sound is better but the experience may not be.

I'll keep an eye on the classifieds and probably make a beer influenced purchase and resell if I'm not happy!
That's why it's called a hobby, good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back