LG G5 with wait, or new LG V10 now, in Canada?
Feb 22, 2016 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ZMan2k2

1000+ Head-Fier
So, with MMW announcements, we have the new G5 with the  HiFi DAC add on.  On the other hand, we have the LG V10, with an app in the app store that allows you to turn the DAC on and off with whatever you're using as headphones.  

In Canada, we don't warrant LG's love for the V10, and therefore, I would be forced to import it, probably through Amazon.ca at a price of $1000CAD.  If I wait, my carrier might have the G5, and I can buy the DAC add on.  

Both have always on screens, they just do it a little different, the V10 has a larger battery, wireless charging, and I have a ton of microUSB cables around, so charging would still be easy. I wouldn't have to buy an add on, just a free app download, but the warranty work would be difficult, or non-existent.  Both are upgradeable memory wise with microSD cards, and the ESS DAC is highly regarded.  I'm looking for an upgrade to my Asus Zenfone 2, and these are on my radar.

For those that have the V10, are you considering upgrading, or are you happy with what you have?  Are you considering upgrading to the G5, and if so, why or why not?  

Thanks for the advice.

Feb 22, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #2 of 10
I have the V10 but will not be getting the G5. Not sure it will really be an upgrade since the B&O logo won't make another ESS chip sound any better.

The G5 will likely be similar cost to the V10 then you have to spend extra (I'm guessing $200-300) for the dac module. Then you may have a harder time finding a case to fit the phone with the longer dac module attached. Also, G5 has even smaller battery, 32GB (vs 64GB on the V10) and no way to add wireless charging (I have and otterbox defender for my V10 and added a wireless charging sticker).

Neither phone is cheap so I understand wanting to have a warranty. The G5 may be a good choice if the V10 isn't officially available.

Feb 22, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for your advice.  I just sent an email to the seller on Amazon.ca, to ask if there is a warranty with the device.  I haven't had a cell contract in what seems like forever, and I don't know if my carrier will even get the G5.  I'm still wavering, but thinking all possibilities through.  That helps though.

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 10
I just found the LG V10 on expansys.ca for $100 less, and there wouldn't be any import fees.  This really has me leaning more towards the V10 now.  I just sent them an email about warranty, so I'll see what they have to say. *edit* Expansys answered quick. 6 month standard warranty, or for $50 18 months. And all warranty goes through them. Now I have a frontrunner.

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #5 of 10

global/international warranty on LG devices as far as I know ... 

edit;

well heck, it seems difficult to discern if they do or don't, suppose a direct answer from LG is required.

Mar 21, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #6 of 10
Bear in mind that on the V10 the HIFI Dac is built in the phone.

As far as i know the G5 does not have any HIFI Dac built in. Hence you'd need to buy that HIFI module separately and it remains to be seen at what price and how the performance is.

On something as short lived as an smartphone i'd rather cut down costs by going with the built in HIFI dac.

Mar 21, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #7 of 10
  Bear in mind that on the V10 the HIFI Dac is built in the phone.

As far as i know the G5 does not have any HIFI Dac built in. Hence you'd need to buy that HIFI module separately and it remains to be seen at what price and how the performance is.

On something as short lived as an smartphone i'd rather cut down costs by going with the built in HIFI dac.

i think LG is trying to offer more versatility by going this way
(having the B/O dac/amp module useable as a standalone item)...this way you can  use it 
like the upcoming new Audioquest Dragonflys in a host of different ways, with various apple/android devices.
so that extra cost allows more versatility...

but hey, only my 2 cents.
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/01/ces-2016-audioquest-mobilise-dragonfly-black-red/

is great that this yr the smartphone will have some fab offerings to cut down on weight and bulk/stackability
while also offering better audio options

Mar 31, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #9 of 10
fyi, on international warranty, LG online support verify this at least 'buying mobile electronics e.g. LG V10 within Europe' (me living in Sweden buying in Germany or UK)

May 3, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #10 of 10
I lost my beloved V10 last month and have been in the market for a replacement. Well strictly speaking, V10 is currently the only phone with replaceable battery, external memory card, 64Gb internal memory and a builtin DAC. It is the best sounding mobile phone I ever listened until I did an AB comparison between V10 and G5 with HiFi Plus. G5 simply sounds better with more pronounced but controllable bass. My lost V10 really sounds great but somewhat today's salesman's one did not produce the sweet sound I used to listen to.
Nevertheless V10 remains the only option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back