LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ?
Apr 11, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #481 of 1,050
  Bad news Friends...

In Short, it doesn't complete to boot sequence at all when using the module... I sent an e-mail to LG to ask if they have any way to make it work. But I doubt it's anything they can make work easily... I'm kinda disappointed as this was my main reason for moving to the G5.... Not sure if I'm gonna keep it now... (PS, The G5 is a FANTASTIC PHONE WITHOUT IT)

Wow ok. Thanks for letting us know. Hopefully that T-Mobile one comes out soon, for LG's sake. lol

So I guess it didn't work for you either jklass??

Apr 12, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #489 of 1,050
Hey guys, just a small heads up. If you are planning to order international unlocked version, keep in mind that LG has two different models - H860N which is dual-sim and H850 which only supports one sim card. While support of an extra sim card seems like a great feature keep in mind that dual-sim (H860N) has much worse stand by time and only supports LTE Cat6 (300 Mbps) and some other features (which are of  dubious use for most people on the forum I believe like TD-LTE a.k.a China LTE). So in short if you want super international phone with dual sim get H860N, otherwise do yourself a favor and get H850 with better battery and faster LTE.

P.S.Important - so far there has being no confirmation of B&O module (AFD-1200) working with H860N model. I think it's reasonably to assume that it does, but just be warned.

Apr 12, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #490 of 1,050
just to add some more confusion:

http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-hi-fi-plus-dac-module-availability-685502/

"The LG Hi-Fi Plus, also known as the Bang & Olufsen DAC module which enhances the audio on the G5, will not be sold in the U.S. market." ...   "All mentions of the audio module have been removed from the LG U.S. site for the LG G5 and no longer appear on the LG Friends page either."

With all this going on, plus the absence of waterproofing, plus the arguably better camera on samsung, i've returned my pre-order G5. 

Apr 12, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #491 of 1,050
  just to add some more confusion:

http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-hi-fi-plus-dac-module-availability-685502/

"The LG Hi-Fi Plus, also known as the Bang & Olufsen DAC module which enhances the audio on the G5, will not be sold in the U.S. market." ...   "All mentions of the audio module have been removed from the LG U.S. site for the LG G5 and no longer appear on the LG Friends page either."

With all this going on, plus the absence of waterproofing, plus the arguably better camera on samsung, i've returned my pre-order G5. 

Yeah I saw that last night. I dunno...........someone posted earlier on here that T-Mobile is supposed to get the B&O DAC I think first? But no idea when. 

If you care about sound quality, then get the new HTC 10. I have the S7 and I have issues when connecting it to my amp/DAC via USB. When playing stored music, it hiccups quite often in one sitting. And when I tried watching a YouTube video last night using same setup, it kept stuttering (like hiccup but worse lol) like CRAZY so I had to listen from (crappy) speaker (or could've done direct-connect to headphone). lol Someone on here said he tested out the S7 DAC itself (something I wouldn't even bother doing lol) and said the bass was kinda muddy on it. I bet ANYTHING the HTC 10 will sound MUCH better, despite their dumb decision to remove one of the front-facing speakers and put it at the bottom. Plus word is it has a really solid DAC and super powerful (for a smartphone lol) amp on it as well. Just google today's reviews and you'll see. 

I'm gonna wait for the Sony Xperia X Performance though. It will have to be purchased unlocked (Amazon or Best Buy), but I think it's worth it (see nice vid). Comes out in June. PM me if you want more details

Apr 12, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #492 of 1,050
Just wait until Custom Roms and the lot come out, I'm sure someone will be able to make the module work even if LG doesn't want too!! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 12, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #493 of 1,050
So this time HtC really taunted about their audio, certified high-red from Japan. The question would be how does Sony have it certified and still doesn't sound as good on the Z5 :D lol...anyways, they say they will have 3 amplifier for headphones jack ? Very interesting

Apr 12, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #494 of 1,050
It should work if connected to the G5 via the USB C port (if you have the right cable. I really like the quality of this one, and it works with the G5 and my HRT DSP: http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-RAVPower-Convertor-MacBook-Devices/dp/B017XARUKC) in USB OTG mode, or connected to a computer.

Have you tried it either of these ways? Could you give a review?

I'd hope/guess that LG will eventually get this cleared with the FCC and push a software fix to enable this, but in the meantime, I'd like to see how it fares as an external dac/amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back