LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ?
Apr 11, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #466 of 1,050

Ordered from Ecomade Arena for my US device already. will have in at 4:30 PST when I get home from work. Will test, will report! Guinea pig FTW!

Nice Vivid!!

Do you have the G5 too yet?? If so, U.S. or int'l?

Also, do you have any devices with the ESS9018 DAC in it to compare the B&O DAC to? Like the Oppo HA-2 or the LG v10??

Apr 11, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #469 of 1,050
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/lg-g5-1315187/review/2

Nice. Good info, but I'd still rather wait for ppl on here to compare it and remark on it. I think the main difference between audiophiles (or audiophile "lites" like me lol) and non-audiophiles is that non-audiophiles only appreciate improved sound quality if it's HUGE. But to me, even not so huge difference still matter to me. Having a soundstage expanded out, hearing little "fills" in the high-end/treble region that I couldn't before or on other headphones, having a great & well-isolated bass sound, etc............these ALL matter greatly to me. 

P.S. That is kinda cool that the G5 displays that "Hi-Fi" symbol at the top of the screen when the B&O DAC is in though. lol

Apr 11, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #470 of 1,050

Nice Vivid!!

Do you have the G5 too yet?? If so, U.S. or int'l?

Also, do you have any devices with the ESS9018 DAC in it to compare the B&O DAC to? Like the Oppo HA-2 or the LG v10??

US Model, LG G5 Titan from AT&T. I don't actively own any ESS9018 devices. But I did spend quite a bit of time the the FiiO X7 which had the ESS9018s. But I don't have it here to actively compare. But if I can confirm it works I will do my best to locate one that I can test along side of!

Apr 11, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #471 of 1,050

US Model, LG G5 Titan from AT&T. I don't actively own any ESS9018 devices. But I did spend quite a bit of time the the FiiO X7 which had the ESS9018s. But I don't have it here to actively compare. But if I can confirm it works I will do my best to locate one that I can test along side of!

Ok. You da MAN Vividcard! lol

Yeah that would be cool. If you can't locate one, then even going off your "memory" of the ESS9018's sound quality vs. the B&O DAC would still be useful to us I'm sure. The X7 is pretty new, so that helps too. 

Apr 11, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #472 of 1,050

Ok. You da MAN Vividcard! lol

Yeah that would be cool. If you can't locate one, then even going off your "memory" of the ESS9018's sound quality vs. the B&O DAC would still be useful to us I'm sure. The X7 is pretty new, so that helps too. 

I'm also fairly certain that my step-dad has an LG v10... I can probably go to his house and bug him to let me test side by side. From what I understand, the V10 has the 9018 built in.

Apr 11, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #473 of 1,050
  I'm also fairly certain that my step-dad has an LG v10... I can probably go to his house and bug him to let me test side by side. From what I understand, the V10 has the 9018 built in.

Vivid,

Yeah good thinking! That would be awesome!

Yes it does....... Whitigir already confirmed that earlier in this thread as he too owned it up until recently. 

If you did all that, your review would prob be the first one to REALLY be taken seriously here. lol

Apr 11, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #474 of 1,050
Guys enadget got their review in for the G5 and the guy mentions the issues of the hifi plus approval in the states.
http://www.engadget.com/2016/04/11/lg-g5-review/

Here is his quote
"As it turns out, that cable would be crucial to my testing. See, the FCC hadn't certified this particular module, so it absolutely refused to work with my T-Mobile G5. I had to use the cable as a pass-through to even get the phone to boot normally, so please: Make sure you have all the facts before you buy a Hi-Fi Plus from overseas for your personal G5. This hiccup also raises some curious questions about the future of the Friends program: Will we see other modules launch only in certain markets? And will they refuse to play nice with the US G5 too?"

Apr 11, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #475 of 1,050
Guys enadget got their review in for the G5 and the guy mentions the issues of the hifi plus approval in the states.

Here is his quote
"As it turns out, that cable would be crucial to my testing. See, the FCC hadn't certified this particular module, so it absolutely refused to work with my T-Mobile G5. I had to use the cable as a pass-through to even get the phone to boot normally, so please: Make sure you have all the facts before you buy a Hi-Fi Plus from overseas for your personal G5. This hiccup also raises some curious questions about the future of the Friends program: Will we see other modules launch only in certain markets? And will they refuse to play nice with the US G5 too?"

Well hopefully it works for VividCard. lol 

Apr 11, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #476 of 1,050

Here is his quote

Holy heck ! Nice catches. I hope they fry this fish before it gets out of hands

Apr 11, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #478 of 1,050
​So:  Imagine my surprise when a customer service rep from LG called me today!!!  He said that a hi fi  module from another country should be compatible with US g5's but he couldn't guarantee it, whatever that means.  But he also told me that T Mobile will shortly be selling the mod in the US.  I guess the FCC doesn't like the other carriers, huh?  Anyhow, I ordered the mod off Amazon last night, and it has shipped.  I have a bunch of things to compare it to, including Oppo Ha 2, and a S7 edge.  This should be fun.  Can life get any better?  Will let you all know within the week when it gets here.

Apr 11, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #479 of 1,050
  ​So:  Imagine my surprise when a customer service rep from LG called me today!!!  He said that a hi fi  module from another country should be compatible with US g5's but he couldn't guarantee it, whatever that means.  But he also told me that T Mobile will shortly be selling the mod in the US.  I guess the FCC doesn't like the other carriers, huh?  Anyhow, I ordered the mod off Amazon last night, and it has shipped.  I have a bunch of things to compare it to, including Oppo Ha 2, and a S7 edge.  This should be fun.  Can life get any better?  Will let you all know within the week when it gets here.

Wow. It's something NEW everyday isn't it? lol I just hope it does work, because if it does with the U.S. G5, then it should with other phones like the S7 and Xperia X Performance. 

Oh nice! I could care less about the S7 Edge comparison lol, but the HA-2 I will most definitely read!!

Apr 11, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #480 of 1,050
Bad news Friends...

In Short, it doesn't complete to boot sequence at all when using the module... I sent an e-mail to LG to ask if they have any way to make it work. But I doubt it's anything they can make work easily... I'm kinda disappointed as this was my main reason for moving to the G5.... Not sure if I'm gonna keep it now... (PS, The G5 is a FANTASTIC PHONE WITHOUT IT)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back