LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ?
Apr 8, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #421 of 1,050

Both have 9018 dac chips but the HA-2 has a K2M while the V10 has a C2M.

Can't say for sure how the HA-2 compares soundwise to the V10 but I rated the V10 as being 90% close to my iBasso R10 which has a desktop 9018S chip.

I agree, the HA-2's gain switch (and imo bass boost) is preferred but you're still stacking as opposed to the V10 being an all-in-one solution.

As for the exact differences in V10 volumes, @HipHopScribe did a test of all 3 modes here (took me a moment to find it again):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/785335/lg-v10-hi-fi-audio-quality-review-on-serious-audio-performance/615#post_12453321

Yeah, I knew there were both 9018 DAC chips but didn't know the v10 had a "C". 

Cool. 90% is pretty good!

I know. lol But I can't stand phablets. I had the S7 Edge for like 10 days and then decided it was simply too big & bulky for my tastes, so I switched it for the S7. But I'm done with Samsung as soon as the Sony Xperia X Performance comes out in June. Me and Samsung just don't click like I do with Sony phones. lol The HA-2 and the Xperia Performance will still sound amazing, as the HA-2 did with my Z3 and even current S7 (which hiccups all the time when I do digital connections to my HA-2 with it, blahh. My Z3 very rarely did that.)

I keep Bass Boost off, but I leave High gain on. So even the quietest Hi-Res albums I have are loud enough. This is crucial b/c I didn't pay good money to NOT fully hear my Hi-Res tracks clearly. lol

Hmm that is interesting. Thanks for sharing. I guess it IS possible the Aux mode would be loud enough. I dunno. Maybe I'll consider checking it out if someone on here compares it to the v10 or HA-2, or similar (9018 premium quality). I thought it was gonna be $160 here but on Amazon it's selling for like $228, so not as cheap as I thought. I could sell my $299 HA-2 now for maybe that much though. I dunno. Plus I don't like that I have to do a "trick" just to get it loud enough. I don't have an extender and don't plan on buying one. 

Apr 8, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #422 of 1,050
Yeah, I knew there were both 9018 DAC chips but didn't know the v10 had a "C". 

Cool. 90% is pretty good!

I know. lol But I can't stand phablets. I had the S7 Edge for like 10 days and then decided it was simply too big & bulky for my tastes, so I switched it for the S7. But I'm done with Samsung as soon as the Sony Xperia X Performance comes out in June. Me and Samsung just don't click like I do with Sony phones. lol The HA-2 and the Xperia Performance will still sound amazing, as the HA-2 did with my Z3 and even current S7 (which hiccups all the time when I do digital connections to my HA-2 with it, blahh. My Z3 very rarely did that.)

I keep Bass Boost off, but I leave High gain on. So even the quietest Hi-Res albums I have are loud enough. This is crucial b/c I didn't pay good money to NOT fully hear my Hi-Res tracks clearly. lol

Hmm that is interesting. Thanks for sharing. I guess it IS possible the Aux mode would be loud enough. I dunno. Maybe I'll consider checking it out if someone on here compares it to the v10 or HA-2, or similar (9018 premium quality). I thought it was gonna be $160 here but on Amazon it's selling for like $228, so not as cheap as I thought. I could sell my $299 HA-2 now for maybe that much though. I dunno. Plus I don't like that I have to do a "trick" just to get it loud enough. I don't have an extender and don't plan on buying one. 

No offense, but I just don't understand how someone would rather carry a stack around than a slightly larger phone.

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #423 of 1,050
No offense, but I just don't understand how someone would rather carry a stack around than a slightly larger phone.

None taken! lol

The thing is, I don't exactly ever carry it anywhere. I only listen while I'm relaxing on my couch, or else like on train rides. I'm only doing that when I'm stationary is the point. The phone by itself I'm constantly using and carrying around, so the bigger size would become annoying very quickly. I had the S7 Edge for about 10 days and THAT was too big, and that's actually still smaller than the v10. lol So that's why. 

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #424 of 1,050

Personally, I agree. I've always sought good all-in-one equipment.

But, for some, being able to swap components may be preferred. No one wants to get stuck paying for something that doesn't perform as well as another solution. I have no problems with my V10 and wish well for anyone going the G5 route but very few integrated devices will outperform a chain of dedicated pieces.

I'm willing to give up some performance on the go (as we all invariably do; no portable setup can equal a TOTL desktop system) but others may still choose to stack for maximum portable sound.

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #425 of 1,050
None taken! lol

The thing is, I don't exactly ever carry it anywhere. I only listen while I'm relaxing on my couch, or else like on train rides. I'm only doing that when I'm stationary is the point. The phone by itself I'm constantly using and carrying around, so the bigger size would become annoying very quickly. I had the S7 Edge for about 10 days and THAT was too big, and that's actually still smaller than the v10. lol So that's why. 

Lol, gotcha man.

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #426 of 1,050
  Hey guys. I'm here to deliver some extremely sad news. While reading Android Authority (fairly reliable source) I noticed this part about his review of B&O dac:
Quote:

Before you get too excited about the Hi-Fi DAC though, it’s not going to work with G5 smartphones sold in Korea, Canada, Puerto Rico or the USA; LG declined to comment on why it won’t work with these devices (and why listings were pulled in the US), but it’s worth keeping this in mind if you planned to buy the G5 in one of these markets and wanted to buy the Hi-Fi Plus.

So in short womp womp womp. Oh well there is always gigantic V10 I guess, or maybe International version of G5 or HTC10 or magical Chinese unicorn >< 

Being that Android Authority is the only one stating this, and LG support seems to think it will work (but we all know customer service can be wrong) I have ordered a Hifi+ module for my G5. Should be here late next week. I will keep everyone informed of the potential good or bad news. Someone's gotta be the guinea pig! 
beyersmile.png

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #427 of 1,050

But, for some, being able to swap components may be preferred. No one wants to get stuck paying for something that doesn't perform as well as another solution. I have no problems with my V10 and wish well for anyone going the G5 route but very few integrated devices will outperform a chain of dedicated pieces.

I'm willing to give up some performance on the go (as we all invariably do; no portable setup can equal a TOTL desktop system) but others may still choose to stack for maximum portable sound.

I'm with ya man. I have a pretty respectable home rig, and I'm amazed by the sound quality of this phone. I was very pleasantly surprised. If the g5 and hifi dac sounds this good or better, you guys should be happy

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #428 of 1,050

If the v11 is smaller for example, I'd def consider it over the Sony phone. I def would prefer an all-in-one phone, but bulky and/or Samsung and I just don't mix well. lol 

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #429 of 1,050

Being that Android Authority is the only one stating this, and LG support seems to think it will work (but we all know customer service can be wrong) I have ordered a Hifi+ module for my G5. Should be here late next week. I will keep everyone informed of the potential good or bad news. Someone's gotta be the guinea pig! 
beyersmile.png

Nice Vividcard!! I look forward to reading your review!

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #432 of 1,050
I've heard about it, is it worth it? If I don't use the stock player, I usually use USB audio player pro. I'm one of those touching the bass or treble or eqing is sacrilege kind of guys lol

Same here. Always try to avoid EQ and was using UAPP (and the stock player) until I finally tried the Alpha trial (not from the Play Store). You can get it here:
http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/8656-poweramp-alpha-build-702/

If you were impressed by the V10 before, Poweramp Alpha takes it to another level, especially with the proper settings (send me a PM if you need detailed settings). I bought the full unlocker soon after. Other than getting the V10 itself, best $3.99 I've spent.

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #433 of 1,050
Same here. Always try to avoid EQ and was using UAPP (and the stock player) until I finally tried the Alpha trial (not from the Play Store).

If you were impressed by the V10 before, Poweramp Alpha takes it to another level, especially with the proper settings (send me a PM if you need detailed settings). I bought the full unlocker soon after. Other than getting the V10 itself, best $3.99 I've spent.

Really? Huh, I'll check it out. I paid for the regular poweramp years ago, will it carry over?

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #434 of 1,050
One thing I love about the newest Poweramp Alpha is being able to adjust the number of volume levels on the V10. Technically the V10 has 75 volume steps with the hifi DAC out of the box, which is good, but the physical volume buttons only move it in increments of 5, so it's really only 15 steps unless you turn on the screen and move the slider. But now Poweramp lets you set the number of volume levels up to 100, and each increment works with the volume buttons! No need to turn on the screen! This sounds small but it solves one of my only big annoyances with the phone. 

Poweramp sounds great too, and the sound is very adjustable if you're a tinkerer 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back