LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ?
Mar 18, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #241 of 1,050
Some new developments regarding the G5 and its mods: 

http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-g5-module-pricing-announced-korean-market-680939/

Thoughts: At $160, my guess is........ LG knows more people will buy this mod to go with the G5 because way more ppl buy smartphones than amp/DACs, so they were able to buy many more 9028 chips, which means they got them at a bulk discount, and therefore can sell them cheaper (agree?? lol). My Oppo HA-2 is $300, and it has the 9018 DAC chip, so if the Plus mod (9028 chip) sells here for $160 or close AND sounds better, then that makes it much more appealing. 

Also, b/c this is compatible with other at least Android (if not Apple and Windows phones) & PC devices/computers, LG expects to sell many more than if not. I prob won't get the LG G5 b/c I felt my now former S7 Edge was too big, and the G5 will be bigger with Hi-Fi Plus mod attached, but I MAY in fact get just the Hi-Fi Plus mod and sell off my HA-2 as well since the Plus has a 9028 chip and the HA-2 has a 9018 chip, and BOTH have a Low/High Gain switch (very important!). It all depends on Whitigir haha.................

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/lg-g5-friends-playground-module-news/

Thoughts: So I guess LG is making it so other developers can make their own apps to further increase compatibility of the mods with other phones/devices. Sounds like a good plan. But would this mean that I can't the Hi-Fi Plus mod until an app is made available? Or will that app be available on Google Play Store when the Plus mod comes out? Anyone know how it will work if you DON'T have a G5?? 

Mar 18, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #244 of 1,050
I have the G4 and love it. I'll be interested in seeing how well the G5 does. Might switch to the G5 when my contract expires in a year...or just upgrade if I really can't wait haha.

Mar 18, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #246 of 1,050
My contract with Verizon is up and I've got the itch pretty bad. Debating on whether I should grab the v10 or wait for the g5. Obviously with being on this site audio quality is very important to me lol. Thoughts?

Mar 18, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #248 of 1,050
Just pre ordered a G5, does this have the same dac etc as the v10?

The ESS DAC and amp are in the B&O module, so you'll have to buy that separately. The module has a similar DAC to the V10, but it's new. Same amp I think. 

Mar 18, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #251 of 1,050
Ok it's official now.................. the Hi-Fi Plus WILL sell for $160 in the U.S. (and globally). 

One thing though....... I don't see the Hi-Fi Plus listed on the U.S. LG site though, do you guys? 

Since the first link above says $160 globally, I'm assuming it's just a matter of time before the Hi-Fi Plus shows up on the LG U.S. site. 

Mar 18, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #255 of 1,050
  $160 isn't bad for a dac module that is also supposed to be compatible with other devices (like PCs and other phones) over usb.

gr8, 

No it's not. And again, I believe since LG plans to sell a ton of these and probably has more money to spend than the smaller amp/DAC makers, they probably bought the DAC & amp chipsets in bulk, which of course brings the price down, but also means more bang for the buck with regards to the DAC's (and amp's) quality. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back