LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ?
Sep 28, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #948 of 1,050
​No where close without the DAC.  With, the measurements looks like it's between the X1 and X3ii.

Have you even heard the Hifi Plus module, or the two FiiO for that matter?

Sep 28, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #950 of 1,050
whats your opinion then?

My opinion is to not have a opinion on things I haven't heard :wink:

As for the Hifi Plus module I found it to be better sounding than the FiiO X3 and at least on par with most sub $150 dac/amps I've heard.

As always ymmw.......

Sep 28, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #952 of 1,050
better than fiio e17k?

I'm sorry but I've never heard the e17k :wink:

Edit: Fwiw I'd like to add that I got the Hifi Plus module before I ordered a G5 and would've never had bought the phone if I wasn't happy with the sound from the dac/amp.

I've heard (and own) a lot of great amp/dac's and I don't feel that I'm missing out that much with the Hifi Plus given that it's able to be perfectly integrated with my phone.

Sep 28, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #953 of 1,050
I'm sorry but I've never heard the e17k :wink:

Edit: Fwiw I'd like to add that I got the Hifi Plus module before I ordered a G5 and would've never had bought the phone if I wasn't happy with the sound from the dac/amp.

I've heard (and own) a lot of great amp/dac's and I don't feel that I'm missing out that much with the Hifi Plus given that it's able to be perfectly integrated with my phone.
now I am confused now. I think I will need more opinions

Sep 28, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #954 of 1,050
Have you even heard the Hifi Plus module, or the two FiiO for that matter?

​We have the measurements of the HiFi plus module, including how it responds to low and high impedance headphones.  The DAC appears to be superior to the X1, which I've heard, and not as good as the X3, which I've own both (first and 2nd gen).  The shortest comings from the HiFi module is the amp.  The DAC is great.

Just a quick note; I doubt you've been to Africa, how do you know it exists?  I think you'll get the point.  We have the charts and user opinions here that would back my statement.

Sep 28, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #955 of 1,050
now I am confused now. I think I will need more opinions

No you need less options :wink:

​We have the measurements of the HiFi plus module, including how it responds to low and high impedance headphones.  The DAC appears to be superior to the X1, which I've heard, and not as good as the X3, which I've own both (first and 2nd gen).  The shortest comings from the HiFi module is the amp.  The DAC is great.

Just a quick note; I doubt you've been to Africa, how do you know it exists?  I think you'll get the point.  We have the charts and user opinions here that would back my statement.

You'll probably write a travel guide to Africa without having been there, I wouldn't.

This hobby is purely subjective when it comes to what we like and don't and I sure enjoy the Hifi Plus more than the X3 and you believe that you don't so as always ymmw.

Sorry but I totally disagree with your reasoning and no charts or user options will change my own opinion (from real life experience). This is not the place to discuss it though so I won't comment any more on it but keep reporting what I've actually heard, in my home with gear that I'm familiar with.

Sep 28, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #956 of 1,050
No you need less options
wink.gif

You'll probably write a travel guide to Africa without having been there, I wouldn't.

This hobby is purely subjective when it comes to what we like and don't and I sure enjoy the Hifi Plus more than the X3 and you believe that you don't so as always ymmw.

Sorry but I totally disagree with your reasoning and no charts or user options will change my own opinion (from real life experience). This is not the place to discuss it though so I won't comment any more on it but keep reporting what I've actually heard, in my home with gear that I'm familiar with.

​Although personal preference is important and would vary one's opinion; audiophila is no pseudo science mister peturr. But let's post some charts.

Fiio X1, X3, and X5

Fiio X1
Fiio X3ii
Fiio X5
Approx cost
USD 100​
~ USD200 (RRP)​
~ USD 349-399​
Dimensions
~96 x 57 x 14mm​
~96 x 57 x 16mm​
~ 114 x 68 x 16mm​
Weight
106g​
135g​
195g​
Lossless file formats supported
APE, FLAC, WAV, WMA, ALAC​
APE, FLAC, WAV, WMA, ALAC, DSF, DFF​
APE, FLAC, WAV, WMA, ALAC, DSF, DFF​
Lossy file formats supported
MP3, aac, ogg vorbis​
MP3, aac, ogg vorbis​
MP3, aac, ogg vorbis​
Use as external DAC?
No​
Yes​
Yes​
Battery
1700 mAh 3.7V​
2600 mAh​
3700 mAh​
Play time
11 hours+​
11 hours+​
10 hours+​
DAC chip used
PCM5142​
CS4398​
PCM1792A​
Main amp chip
ISL28291​
OPA1642+LMH6643​
OPA1612+LMH6643​
S/N (H/O)
110 dB (A-Weight)​
113 dB (A-Weight)​
115 dB (A-Weight)​
THD+N (H/O)
<0.004%​
<0.003%​
< 0.0015%​
Output into 16 ohm
>100 mW​
>224 mW​
>460 mW​
Output into 32 ohm
>65 mW​
>200 mW​
>255 mW​
Output into 300 ohm
>8 mW​
>24 mW​
>28 mW​
Highest resolution lossless
192 kHz, 24 bits​
192 kHz, 24 bits​
192 kHz, 24 bits​
DSD/DSF/DFF support
No​
Yes - Native​
Yes – converted to PCM​
Output impedance (H/O)
< 2 ohms​
0.2 ohm​
0.26 ohm​
Line Out
Yes (shared with H/O)​
Yes / Separate (shared with digital out)​
Yes – separate port​
Digital Out
No​
Yes – 3.5mm to Coax (cable supplied)​
Yes – separate port, 3.5mm to Coax (cable supplied)​
External storage (current)
Micro sdxc up to 128Gb​
Micro sdxc up to 128Gb​
2 x Micro sdxc up to 256Gb​
Screen
2in colour TFT, 320x240 px​
2in colour TFT, 320x240 px​
IPS 400 x 360​
Shell / Casing
Aluminium (silver)​
Aluminium (gun-metal)​
Plastic shell over aluminium body​

LG HI-FI module:

CategoryLG G5G5 with HiFi DACLG V10
Frequency response+0.05, -0.04+0.01, -0.03+0.01, -0.03
Noise-93.3-95.1-95.3
Dynamic Range92.69495.1
Total Harmonic Distortion0.00510.00340.0021
Intermodulation Distortion + Noise0.0370.00980.0075
Stereo Crosstalk-50.7-93.0-95.1
(source: http://www.androidcentral.com/look-lg-g5s-bo-audio-module​)

So, it's a step up above the Fiio X1, but not as good as the X3ii (pretty darn close tho).  But again, personal preference.. lol  Any difference would really be seen by the output current/voltage load and if there is any colouration from the amps themselves.  I don't notice there is much colouration between the two but there is some settle differences that may just be appealing to you.  But, non the less, the circuitry in the X3ii is superior (but not as great as one would think).

Sep 28, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #958 of 1,050
I have neither, so...

I did buy the hifi plus to try it out. Very nice little DAC that works with my PC. My major concerns for the G5 are:

Strength. Will the connection between the module and phone become weak over time? Does it weaken the phone overall?
Data: Apparently you cannot use the Hifi Plus to transfer data to the phone. To me that is a HUGE fail.
Cases: Or lack of them. I am mystified as to why B&O did not make a case to go with the phone+DAC. They could have made a killing.

The V10 fixes all these issues but creates a different one. It is huge. Too big really. If they had capped it at 5.5 inches I think it would be a virtually perfect phone.

Sep 29, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #959 of 1,050

Data: Apparently you cannot use the Hifi Plus to transfer data to the phone. To me that is a HUGE fail.

I don't think that is correct.  You just can't transfer data while USING the DAC.  Not 100% sure on that but I swear I have transferred files with the module on.  I'll double check tonight if I remember.  

As for the comparison with Fiio I only have the E07K and I prefer the B&O DAC but the Fiio amp.  The onboard G5 audio is typical cell phone garbage and shouldn't even be considered except for skype/podcasts.

Sep 29, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #960 of 1,050
I don't think that is correct.  You just can't transfer data while USING the DAC.  Not 100% sure on that but I swear I have transferred files with the module on.  I'll double check tonight if I remember.  

As for the comparison with Fiio I only have the E07K and I prefer the B&O DAC but the Fiio amp.  The onboard G5 audio is typical cell phone garbage and shouldn't even be considered except for skype/podcasts.
correct, same that if you want to listen to music and charge at the same time, it is INCREDIBLY slow (I've said in the past usb1 power, might even be less!)... Maybe that is where Apple got their inspiration for the 7 haha...

If nothing connected to the 3.5 Jack then acts as normal USB C :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back