LG G4 as a portable source (2015 model not G3)?
Aug 15, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #16 of 26
Yes but isn't that digital gain? The more it's amplified like this,the worst the sound quality.

Only if it clips. If it doesn't, you have nothing to worry about.

If you guys don't mind rooting your phones, you can actually change the amount of gain your internal amp has. At least, all the current Sony phones can, to fix their low volume issue. Of course, if you overdo it, I hope you like listening to noise.

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #17 of 26
V4A db boost amplify the aux voltage I think, so it's hardware boost, apps like Neutron are amplifying software wise making the sound quality muffled if too much gained.
I love my hifiman but it looks like only the m9 can drive them well out of the box.
Still waiting for v4a reports on G4

Sep 18, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #18 of 26
i have this phone now and the sound quality  with headphones plugged in is pretty bad

i had samsung s5 and s4 and the lg g4 is similar to the Samsung s4
for this reason  i think i will be selling  it

Sep 18, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #19 of 26
You definitely need Viper4Android if you are rooted or Neutron,poweramp...if you are not rooted.
It will give you as good quality sound and power as the HTC M9, and yes I had the M8 for a year and the M9 for 3 months, the G4 is very capable for audio but you just need to play with the equalizer and add some volume (V4A or apps).

Sep 18, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #20 of 26
  You definitely need Viper4Android if you are rooted or Neutron,poweramp...if you are not rooted.
It will give you as good quality sound and power as the HTC M9, and yes I had the M8 for a year and the M9 for 3 months, the G4 is very capable for audio but you just need to play with the equalizer and add some volume (V4A or apps

sorry i dont agree with that . when the audio is bad from the source no amount of EQ will fix it
and iam rooted  and i had  V4A  but it didnt fix the problem

the phone speaker sounds good thats about it

Sep 18, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #21 of 26
I have an G4 and tried everything to improve sound quality. Ended up buying a Soundblaster E5 and wow, night and day difference! I use it as DAC to stream from my phone and it improves even the poorest quality streams. Thinking that some magic app will make you phone sound like a dedicated thousand dollars audiophile digital player is simply delusional.

Sep 19, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #22 of 26
Of course the G4 will never be as good as a 2500$ player or even a fiio high grade player,, even the HTC M9 can't beat a fiio X1, but compared to an old samsung P3 or Cowon J3 it's better (I have both), specially in terms of BT as it's aptx + BT 4.1 while P3 and J3 are just BT 2.0.
It's like if you want to compare a camera on a phone with a Full Frame Nikon DSLR lol.
I am planning to buy a fiio E06, specially for my car to boost even more the volume.
But I can clearly say the G4 + Hifiman RE272 + V4A = awesome quality and volume sound.
Out of the box it has a very good soundstage but lacks warmth and amplitude, V4A is here for that, be sure to choose a good earphone/headphone profile, I chose ''high end v2'' for my RE272 and it made a good difference coupled with some added bass and dynamic

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #23 of 26
Sorry for necroposting, but I'd like to know, how the LG G4 is compared to the Cowon S9, that I use at the moment for audio. So if anybody can give me some advice on this, I really would be very happy.

Thx allready now for your answer!

May 25, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #26 of 26
I've a g flex 2.. Changed from a redmi note 2 prime.. My problem is the SQ detiorates from Ok to being terrible.. I'm using fiio q1 as dac/amp, grado SR60, akg y50 and Soundmagic e50s.. Help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back