LF Headset + DAC
Jul 14, 2013 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Moop

New Head-Fier
Hello. I'm looking for a multipurpose headset. Something to use with games, music, and movies. I don't know where to start with this. I listen to all kinds of music but I guess electronic and rock would be the main kinds.

To go with this I'm also looking for a portable DAC or DAC/AMP. I don't know which headset goes well with which DAC. I've heard that the FiiO e7 and e17 are good. I've also seen the Asus Xonar u3/u7.

I'm looking for a combined total of $200 or less.

Also, what's the difference between a headset and headphones in terms of audio quality?

Thanks.

Jul 14, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 14
Hey, I'll try to help you out.

Headset and Headphones are interchangeable terms, they mean exactly the same thing. My advice would be for you to get a used Sennheiser HD 555 and mod them to a HD 595 (It is very simple) they go for under $120 on Amazon. Get yourself the E7 for $80 and if you're planning on using them with an iPod, buy the line out dock for an extra $10. 

As for your amping question, the HD 555 isn't very power hungry and would do fine out of most portable amps. 

Modding tutorial here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvQ8PzBrHXE

Feel free to ask me any other questions you may have.

Jul 14, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
Hello. I'm looking for a multipurpose headset. Something to use with games, music, and movies. I don't know where to start with this. I listen to all kinds of music but I guess electronic and rock would be the main kinds.

To go with this I'm also looking for a portable DAC or DAC/AMP. I don't know which headset goes well with which DAC. I've heard that the FiiO e7 and e17 are good. I've also seen the Asus Xonar u3/u7.

I'm looking for a combined total of $200 or less.

Also, what's the difference between a headset and headphones in terms of audio quality?

Thanks.

Is the gaming PC? xBox? PS3? other?
Music on a PC? MAC? mp3 player?

For $30, with mail in $10 rebate, you can get an Asus xonar DG sound for your PC?
and get something separate for port amp.

Jul 15, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #4 of 14
Hey, I'll try to help you out.

Headset and Headphones are interchangeable terms, they mean exactly the same thing. My advice would be for you to get a used Sennheiser HD 555 and mod them to a HD 595 (It is very simple) they go for under $120 on Amazon. Get yourself the E7 for $80 and if you're planning on using them with an iPod, buy the line out dock for an extra $10. 

As for your amping question, the HD 555 isn't very power hungry and would do fine out of most portable amps. 

Modding tutorial here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvQ8PzBrHXE

Feel free to ask me any other questions you may have.

Alright thank you, i'll look into this. By headset I mean gaming headset. I see comments sometimes that say something along the lines of: "For a gaming headset, this sure comes close to an equally priced headphone". So, I was just curious about why people say this

Is the gaming PC? xBox? PS3? other?
Music on a PC? MAC? mp3 player?

For $30, with mail in $10 rebate, you can get an Asus xonar DG sound for your PC?
and get something separate for port amp.

Gaming, music, and movies on the PC.

For the sound card, I need something to use with a laptop as well.

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
Alright thank you, i'll look into this. By headset I mean gaming headset. I see comments sometimes that say something along the lines of: "For a gaming headset, this sure comes close to an equally priced headphone". So, I was just curious about why people say this

Headset = headphone with mic (headphones doesn't have mics)

Gaming headset are made for gaming, but that doesn't mean they are good. Some headsets are, though, but mostly you can get more for your money by going for headphones. 

Gaming headsets aren't vodoo, they aren't tuned specifically for gaming in a way that makes them better than many music headphones. Not at all, actually. I think you should go for the hd555 too.

Also, what kind of gaming are we talking about? Have you looked into Mad Lust Envy's guide?

Jul 15, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #6 of 14
Headset = headphone with mic (headphones doesn't have mics)

Gaming headset are made for gaming, but that doesn't mean they are good. Some headsets are, though, but mostly you can get more for your money by going for headphones. 

Gaming headsets aren't vodoo, they aren't tuned specifically for gaming in a way that makes them better than many music headphones. Not at all, actually. I think you should go for the hd555 too.

Also, what kind of gaming are we talking about? Have you looked into Mad Lust Envy's guide?

Yea I do need a headset though. One with a mic. It doesn't have to be a "Gaming" headset. Just something with a mic and good audio quality. The HD555s I looked up dont have one, unless there is a different version. I have looked at that guide but it seems mostly to cover technical details.

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
Yea I do need a headset though. One with a mic. It doesn't have to be a "Gaming" headset. Just something with a mic and good audio quality. The HD555s I looked up dont have one, unless there is a different version. I have looked at that guide but it seems mostly to cover technical details.

Technical details are quite important 
size]

What kind of games do you play? Do you have a sound card?

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:
DotA, DotA 2, FPS games

Im looking for a portable soundcard - something like the Asus Xonar u3, if that's a good one.

Okay, so if positional audio is important to you (you play fps games), you should definitely get a sound card with dolby headphones or cmss-3d. 
I see 2 options. Get a hd555 or alternatively ad700 and a modmic or go for a headset. 

If headset you should look at the offerings from sennheiser, alternatively the Siberia V2 is a decent performer. 

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #11 of 14
Okay, so if positional audio is important to you (you play fps games), you should definitely get a sound card with dolby headphones or cmss-3d. 
I see 2 options. Get a hd555 or alternatively ad700 and a modmic or go for a headset. 

If headset you should look at the offerings from sennheiser, alternatively the Siberia V2 is a decent performer. 

Alright. Yea the DH is something I read in the guide. I've heard that portable sound cards have that, at least some of them. So I guess i'll just have to find one and then go with the headphones. Thanks.

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #12 of 14
Maybe look into the  creative sound blaster x-fi surround 5.1? I dunno much about it, but it has the features you need. My guess is, that the amp and DAC inside it is quite mediocre, but idk.

You should ask in Mad Lust Envy's thread or other thread dedicated to gaming.

Jul 15, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #13 of 14
Maybe look into the  creative sound blaster x-fi surround 5.1? I dunno much about it, but it has the features you need. My guess is, that the amp and DAC inside it is quite mediocre, but idk.

I think I've chosen the HD555. Do you know anywhere to buy new ones? It looks like they're discontinued and I can only find used ones online.

Jul 15, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

I think I've chosen the HD555. Do you know anywhere to buy new ones? It looks like they're discontinued and I can only find used ones online.

The idea is, that you find it used, so it can fit in your price bracket. Else, there is the hd558, which you can have new, but it is more expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back