LF DIY Tube Amp suggestions
Jun 19, 2011 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Undisclosed

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

Currently im using my mini^3 and looking for a DIY desktop tube amp for around $200 (without case).

I have 10+ years of DIY electronic experience, even with high voltages (Nixie Tube clocks are my other hobby)

So whats around in this price range?

Thanks!

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 10
Have you checked out the pete millet page? his Jonokuchi amp looks neat, and has been getting good impressions. 

http://www.pmillett.com/Jonokuchi.htm

The starving student is another popular option. 

If you look up "11ms8" on this forum you can find an older amp that is still available in various levels of trim. Requires lots of mods & tweaking (which you can find in that thread) but that was a very fun build. 

Bottlehead CRACK amp is another possibility, but really more for high impedance headphones. Dunno if that will work. 

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
Have you checked out the pete millet page? his Jonokuchi amp looks neat, and has been getting good impressions. 

http://www.pmillett.com/Jonokuchi.htm

The starving student is another popular option. 

If you look up "11ms8" on this forum you can find an older amp that is still available in various levels of trim. Requires lots of mods & tweaking (which you can find in that thread) but that was a very fun build. 

Bottlehead CRACK amp is another possibility, but really more for high impedance headphones. Dunno if that will work.

Ive looked through the millett page a few times now and also looked at the starving student. Im using grado sr325i which are 75ohms i believe.

Quote:
The Bijou can be built for less than $200. All depends on what kind of caps you want to use.

Ill have to look the Bijou up!

the $200 limit was also assuming i was going to build a separate power supply as well, if they are combined i can boost the budget up too!

Jun 21, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #8 of 10
Im really digging the reviews on the Bijou. Anyone know if its possible to use a different power supply with the bijou, such as the sigma 11, as i was planing to build a separate power supply for the sake of being modular.

Jun 21, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #9 of 10
The bijou uses a high-voltage power supply (+250V). The sigma11 is designed for low voltage (no more than about 36V) designs. It also lacks a tube heater supply (which, it could actually be used to provide if so inclined to go way overboard).

Nothing says you cannot mount the Bijou supply in it's own case and umbilical cord the power to the main amp. Just be careful. We are talking way lethal voltages/currents with the Bijou.

Jun 21, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
The bijou uses a high-voltage power supply (+250V). The sigma11 is designed for low voltage (no more than about 36V) designs. It also lacks a tube heater supply (which, it could actually be used to provide if so inclined to go way overboard).

Nothing says you cannot mount the Bijou supply in it's own case and umbilical cord the power to the main amp. Just be careful. We are talking way lethal voltages/currents with the Bijou.

yeah i just noticed the voltage difference, no big deal ill just case it all up together. Ill leave the modular system to when i tackle the b22.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back