LF closed back headphones for pretty much everything but classical, powered by a HTC m8 and sony nwz-s545, max £150 budget, willing to go used!
Feb 16, 2016 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Installation

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

I currently own some sony MDR XB500s, which are okay, but they leak a lot of sound. Also I split up my music listening between a sony nwz-s545 with some sony mdr-xb60ex IEMS when I want ridiculous bass (for rap/hip hop mostly), though I feel the mdr xb500s are actually also very, very good on that front. The IEMS take it to a silly level though which can be fun sometimes. The rest of my music is on my HTC one m8, a mixture of everything but classical music. The reason I'm making this is because the IEMs I have are frankly rubbish at mids, which is fine when with hip hop most of the time though even there they can lack.

So! What I'm ideally after are closed back headphones (which leak no/very little sound) which have amazing bass but don't slump too much as my IEMs do when it comes to rock and such. However I understand that might be asking too much, so if there are headphones out there which have slightly less bass than the sony MDR XB500s I'm willing to take that hit and carry around my IEMs when I switch players/music.

My budget is a max £150, I'm more than willing to go used if it delivers savings.

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #2 of 7
  Hi!

I currently own some sony MDR XB500s, which are okay, but they leak a lot of sound. Also I split up my music listening between a sony nwz-s545 with some sony mdr-xb60ex IEMS when I want ridiculous bass (for rap/hip hop mostly), though I feel the mdr xb500s are actually also very, very good on that front. The IEMS take it to a silly level though which can be fun sometimes. The rest of my music is on my HTC one m8, a mixture of everything but classical music. The reason I'm making this is because the IEMs I have are frankly rubbish at mids, which is fine when with hip hop most of the time though even there they can lack.

So! What I'm ideally after are closed back headphones (which leak no/very little sound) which have amazing bass but don't slump too much as my IEMs do when it comes to rock and such. However I understand that might be asking too much, so if there are headphones out there which have slightly less bass than the sony MDR XB500s I'm willing to take that hit and carry around my IEMs when I switch players/music.

My budget is a max £150, I'm more than willing to go used if it delivers savings.

When you say 'amazing bass' do you mean emphasized bass, or neutral, highly accurate bass?

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #3 of 7

When you say 'amazing bass' do you mean emphasized bass, or neutral, highly accurate bass?

Hi!

Most probably emphasized. The headphones/IEMs I currently have are well known for it I believe. However I don't want them to totally fail in the mids as my IEMs do (but my headphones don't to my ears anyway). So that requirement is almost optional, it just means I'll keep my IEMs for when I want silly amounts of bass.

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #4 of 7
  Hi!

Most probably emphasized. The headphones/IEMs I currently have are well known for it I believe. However I don't want them to totally fail in the mids as my IEMs do (but my headphones don't to my ears anyway). So that requirement is almost optional, it just means I'll keep my IEMs for when I want silly amounts of bass.

Given your preferences, I would look at the V-MODA m100 first. You may have to stretch your budget just a bit, depending on UK pricing. There are used m100s out there if you look thoroughly. This can fits what you're looking for perfectly. Worth the stretch, if necessary.

Feb 16, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #5 of 7

Given your preferences, I would look at the V-MODA m100 first. You may have to stretch your budget just a bit, depending on UK pricing. There are used m100s out there if you look thoroughly. This can fits what you're looking for perfectly. Worth the stretch, if necessary.

Thanks. There are some used ones out there for just over £150 or just under, so you're right. I'll go take a look at some reviews of them right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back