LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Mar 26, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #1,831 of 1,906
Get serious, it isn’t like condensation on cold metal in high humidity is a new discovery that manufacturers of metal items that will be shoved into the warm humid environment of peoples ear don’t know about. It is a trade off for the benefits of metal shells just like many IEM manufacturers use on some models.
If this is a problem that has been known to everyone for a long time, then I don’t quite understand why the Letshuoer representative hears about it for the first time, and Letshuoer technical support starts asking me a question about earwax when I write to them about condensation. It seems to me that you overestimate engineers, technical support and all other employees of Chinese companies. What for you is an obvious and long-known fact, for them, apparently, this is actually a discovery ^^ Otherwise they would simply write to me that yes, there is such a problem and there is no escape from it if you use IEMs with metal bodies. But even FiiO technical support is hearing about it for the first time)))

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 4:44 AM Post #1,832 of 1,906
And yes, if the engineers of all these Chinese companies knew about this problem, it is not difficult to guess that they would try to do something about it (for example, they would make sound tubes and meshes from plastic, as in the Sennheiser IE 600). But since no one does this, it means no one knows about the problem. And if all these companies know about the problem of condensation formation, but none of them thought of at least making sound tubes and meshes out of plastic, then this only once again confirms that there really are no smart engineers there.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 4:55 AM Post #1,833 of 1,906
If this is a problem that has been known to everyone for a long time, then I don’t quite understand why the Letshuoer representative hears about it for the first time, and Letshuoer technical support starts asking me a question about earwax when I write to them about condensation. It seems to me that you overestimate engineers, technical support and all other employees of Chinese companies. What for you is an obvious and long-known fact, for them, apparently, this is actually a discovery ^^ Otherwise they would simply write to me that yes, there is such a problem and there is no escape from it if you use IEMs with metal bodies. But even FiiO technical support is hearing about it for the first time)))

Here is something else you may not have considered, it will be my last comment to you, please refrain from another “thank goodness”. I am being courteous but honest please return the courtesy.

If you provided feedback to them in a clear, concise and courteous manner with none of your contemptuous attitude, no sarcasm, no smart arse emojis, a sense that you actually wanted feedback from them and not just complain and act like you know better and if your criticism was limited to one or two important items rather than having a long list of issues, some as trivial as the ear hooks not being the right radius for your ear and as daft as you pulling the termination amplifier end plug apart when you wouldn’t if you considered how it works they might take you more seriously.

Understanding how to treat people goes a long way towards getting good service and frankly your posts here don’t indicate much of an understanding on how to treat people with respect and kindness.

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #1,834 of 1,906
I guess I’m a cheap MF, cause I don’t consider $100-$135 budget IEM. Budget to me is $25-$50 IEM.

Mar 26, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #1,835 of 1,906
Came her to share my enthusiasm about the S12, as I've just ordered a set, but will run away again because of all monolog kind of posts and drama 🫣

Mar 26, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #1,836 of 1,906
Came her to share my enthusiasm about the S12, as I've just ordered a set, but will run away again because of all monolog kind of posts and drama 🫣
Also very annoying to me, which is why I haven't been participating. Since I got my ISN EST50 about a week ago, I have not been listening much to the S12 Pro. But I gotta say, for the money they still offer a very detailed and nice sound. They are just not that comfy for me and the planar timbre combined with my sensitivity to pressure build-up makes me not listen to them over a long period of time anymore. I think I am in the minority here considering comfort and most will be very pleased with what they have to offer for the price! They love a good amplifier though, so drive them if you can :)

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #1,837 of 1,906
Also very annoying to me, which is why I haven't been participating. Since I got my ISN EST50 about a week ago, I have not been listening much to the S12 Pro. But I gotta say, for the money they still offer a very detailed and nice sound. They are just not that comfy for me and the planar timbre combined with my sensitivity to pressure build-up makes me not listen to them over a long period of time anymore. I think I am in the minority here considering comfort and most will be very pleased with what they have to offer for the price! They love a good amplifier though, so drive them if you can :)
Can't wait to hear them. I'm very happy with eh planar sound on headphones, so it might be the same with IEM's?
I have the Tanchjim Origin on the way as well, to have a good DD to compare it against.
That EST50 looks really nice as well 👍

Mar 26, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #1,838 of 1,906
Can't wait to hear them. I'm very happy with eh planar sound on headphones, so it might be the same with IEM's?
I have the Tanchjim Origin on the way as well, to have a good DD to compare it against.
That EST50 looks really nice as well 👍
These are the only planars I tried, so take my comment with a grain of salt. Its not that bad on most tracks, but at times I find instruments and voices to have a slightly artificial touch.

The Tanchjim Origin looks interesting but I think I am happy for now :) It is indeed, if you love a organic, fun sound with stunning bass and great highs, I think it will be hard to get something better at this price.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #1,839 of 1,906
Sorry about that gents.

I think you will enjoy the S12. Did you get the Pro, it has slightly different tuning. Both have a strong V tune with excellent detailed bass and crisp highs without being overdone or bright to my ear. They have a fun energetic sound, I don’t hear any artificialness or a “planar sound”, to my ears the sound I feel like has been mentioned is simply that high energy leaning which I enjoy.

For my taste they sound really good not just good for their price. I genuinely prefer listening with them over my Campfire Solaris despite the $135 versus $1,600 price disparity.

Mar 26, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #1,840 of 1,906
Sorry about that gents.

I think you will enjoy the S12. Did you get the Pro, it has slightly different tuning. Both have a strong V tune with excellent detailed bass and crisp highs without being overdone or bright to my ear. They have a fun energetic sound, I don’t hear any artificialness or a “planar sound”, to my ears the sound I feel like has been mentioned is simply that high energy leaning which I enjoy.

For my taste they sound really good not just good for their price. I genuinely prefer listening with them over my Campfire Solaris despite the $135 versus $1,600 price disparity.
I got the Pro version, as my brief search on the Pro vs non-Pro showed that the difference should be small.

I really enjoy my planar headphones, which also has a bright ish signature, so I have high hopes for the S12 🤞

Mar 26, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #1,841 of 1,906
I got the Pro version, as my brief search on the Pro vs non-Pro showed that the difference should be small.

I really enjoy my planar headphones, which also has a bright ish signature, so I have high hopes for the S12 🤞

Look forward to hearing how they go for you.

I had the standard S12 but gave them to a friend that was interested in the hobby then decided I needed another set so I got the Pro.

It was only based on memory but my initial impression was they Pro was a bit smoother or something I couldn't really put my finger on and from memory didn't help. I was pretty confident there was something that I preferred with the Pro. Just recently I stumbled on a video with a comparison of the original, Pro and Z versions and he said the same thing about the Pro.

He rambles on a lot but around 15 minutes is the start of the comments with the comparison.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #1,842 of 1,906
If you provided feedback to them in a clear, concise and courteous manner with none of your contemptuous attitude, no sarcasm, no smart arse emojis, a sense that you actually wanted feedback from them and not just complain and act like you know better and if your criticism was limited to one or two important items rather than having a long list of issues, some as trivial as the ear hooks not being the right radius for your ear and as daft as you pulling the termination amplifier end plug apart when you wouldn’t if you considered how it works they might take you more seriously.
What are you, a psychic? How do you know in what manner I emailed them? FiiO, for example, I wrote clearly and concisely that there is such a problem as the formation of condensation on the sound tube meshes of their model FD5. After which they asked me what kind of meshes we were talking about. It's funny, but their tech support doesn't even seem to know what sound guide meshes are or where they are located 🫣 And here you are saying something about knowledge about condensate 😂 Laughter and nothing more! 🤣 I have attached a photo. They thanked me and wrote that my wish/complaint had been sent to the appropriate department for consideration. That's all!

I repeat once again: you clearly overestimate the employees of all these Chinese companies. I’m not saying that there are only idiots working there, but I also don’t think that there are all geniuses working there.

When someone writes to me something like: “No idiots work at Microsoft,” I just roll on the floor laughing! 🤣🤣🤣 The whole system there is made so poorly, I would even say terribly, that yes, I think, no, I’m sure that Microsoft employs only complete idiots! You can bite me for this, but it's true 🤷‍♂️ It is enough to simply compare Windows with macOS for everything to become immediately clear.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #1,844 of 1,906
I am a very ordinary consumer, who, moreover, is not an inveterate audiophile who has tried a lot (I have had no more than 10 pairs of in-ear headphones). But with all this, I did a little research and came up with a Sennheiser IE 600. It took me no more than 10-20 minutes! It turns out that I am smarter than the engineers of all these Chinese companies? 🤔 Hmm, strange, very strange... 🤨 For some reason, only the German engineers at Sennheiser thought of this. Therefore, yes, I can confidently call them geniuses and masters of their craft! 👏 Therefore, it’s truly funny for me to read when someone declares that it’s not idiots who work in this or that company 🤭 God, how naive people are! 🤦‍♂️

If you find it unpleasant to communicate with me, then just use the Ignore function. But since you don’t do this, it means you are interested in having a dialogue with me 🤷‍♂️

And yes, I don’t go off topic and don’t offend anyone, so there’s no point in moderators and administrators complaining about me :xf_wink:

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #1,845 of 1,906
It seems you don't even understand what condensation is and when it occurs. Why should I send you my copy if it is completely working? 🤨 You write that if something happened, you could make an exchange and see if this solves the problem. How can exchanging my copy for a completely new one solve this problem? 🤔 I have two S12 Pros and both suffer from condensation. The only way to solve this problem is to release a new version of S12 in a plastic housing (for a pleasant tactile sensation in the ears and better grip, the plastic itself can be covered with soft touch) or, for example, in resin, as in BGVP DMA and Moondrop Blessing 3.

Why haven't you received many complaints about this problem? Firstly, few people, after listening to music, closely examine the mesh of sound tubes for the presence of condensate drops formed there 🧐:sweat_drops: Secondly, condensation occurs only in the cold season and/or with high humidity (I have never encountered condensation in the summer). Secondly, the presence of condensation itself does not lead to damage to the headphones (except in rare cases).

If the Letshuoer engineering team wants to understand what the problem is and what it looks like, then I advise you to send the following message to the engineering department: in order for condensation drops to form on the sound tube meshes, you need to insert the S12 Pro into your ears and wear them for at least 30 minutes (or even better, 1 hour) in a relatively cold room (possibly outside) and preferably with high humidity ❄️🥶:cloud_rain:☔ I think those who live in England understand me very well ^^

And yes, on Amazon you can read a lot of complaints about the problem of condensation in the iconic Moondrop Aria, the housing of which are also made entirely of metal.

The presence of drops of condensation on the mesh of sound tubes is very annoying, because not only do they cause the sound to become blurred, but you also constantly worry that they might get on the earphone driver.

I have never encountered condensation in earphones whose housings are made of plastic or resin. In my case it's: Beyerdynamic Soul Byrd, Sennheiser IE 100 Pro, Sennheiser IE 300, TinHiFi T3 Plus, TinHiFi P1 Max & BGVP DMA. But this problem constantly bothers me in Letshuoer S12 Pro and FiiO FD5.
We have quite a sizeable customer base in Canada for coldness and Singapore / HK for hot and humid, and I haven't gotten a lot of complaints from either. What I am trying to say is that I don't think we can please everybody since people do have preference. If metal shell is not something you'd like, I would steer clear away from it then. Thanks :)

LETSHUOER Stay updated on LETSHUOER at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/letshuoer https://twitter.com/letshuoer https://www.instagram.com/letshuoer/ https://letshuoer.net/ https://www.youtube.com/@letshuoer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back