LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Mar 3, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #1,486 of 1,906
The S12 is a V shaped set with big bass and boosted treble.

If you are treble sensitive, the treble/upper midrange might bite a bit. It can be tamed somewhat with playing at softer volumes (fletcher munson curve), using treble attenuating tips (eg foams, Final E black tips), or even with warmer sources. You can EQ the upper mids/treble down too.

The planar timbre can't really be gotten rid of via EQ solely, it is an inherent characteristic of most planar IEMS, where the very fast transients and rapid decay gives notes a thinner weight and a less natural timbre. But the S12 has one of the best technicalities/resolution at its price point, compared to say single DD types with better timbral accuracy.

Agree with you here. Very competitive resolution for the price point but tonally and timbrally quite unnatural. Foams/narrow bore silicone, cable changing and EQ can help but you're still dealing with a planar driver that prioritises resolution.

I'm hoping Shuoer will release a V3 with a fresh approach to the treble and a change of stock cable. The Chimera (I think that's what the stock cable is called) is highly resolving but leans sharp and bright and wouldn't be what I would personally throw in with an already aggressive V shaped IEM.

Mar 3, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #1,488 of 1,906
So after some consideration I went ahead and got the S12 Pro. I really love the S12, so I figure it can’t hurt to have a backup.

They do sound largely the same as the S12 OG. Maybe just a tad shifted toward the bass, but it’s subtle at best. What I DO like about these is the aesthetics. The OG version is very bland looking. Just gunmetal gray and that’s about it. The Pro is a nice blue powder coat and the chamfered edges of the cable ports are polished now. The logo text is in bright white now so it pops against the blue. As far as the cable goes, it’s a little less gummy this time and the hardware is very nice. It’s the same color blue as the body of the shells.

So, just another confirmation that the Pro and OG are basically the same with the Pro being aesthetically superior for what that’s worth.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #1,489 of 1,906
So after some consideration I went ahead and got the S12 Pro. I really love the S12, so I figure it can’t hurt to have a backup.

They do sound largely the same as the S12 OG. Maybe just a tad shifted toward the bass, but it’s subtle at best. What I DO like about these is the aesthetics. The OG version is very bland looking. Just gunmetal gray and that’s about it. The Pro is a nice blue powder coat and the chamfered edges of the cable ports are polished now. The logo text is in bright white now so it pops against the blue. As far as the cable goes, it’s a little less gummy this time and the hardware is very nice. It’s the same color blue as the body of the shells.

So, just another confirmation that the Pro and OG are basically the same with the Pro being aesthetically superior for what that’s worth.
lol yeah, they did nail the colors on the Pro, they also look so good with the snow white tips.
Unfortunately the anodizing is not great - my vanilla is all banged up by now. Don't know about the Pro, but I don't think it will last longer.

Apr 1, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #1,492 of 1,906
How would you suggest a solution to the sibilance problem in the "s" sound?

Try foam tips or a black Final E tip, these tame treble.

Sibilance is usually an over zealous 6 - 8 kHz boosted region, so if you are not adverse to EQ, you can try taming this region too. Playing music at softer volumes (Fletcher Munson curve), will also make the perceived treble to be lower.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #1,493 of 1,906
I recently bought the ultra hyped Linsoul 7Hz Salnotes Zero and thought they were just ok. I am considering buying the s-12 to try out a planar IEM. I am also considering the IE-600 which are on sale now.

I'm buying because my long used RHA T20 died.

Anyone want to help me make a decision?

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #1,494 of 1,906
I recently bought the ultra hyped Linsoul 7Hz Salnotes Zero and thought they were just ok. I am considering buying the s-12 t try out a planar IEM. I am also considering the IE-600 which are on sale now.

S12 is very good. Are you only interested in pure planar? Because Hook-X is also very good but it’s a hybrid.

Apr 7, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #1,496 of 1,906
S12 is very good. Are you only interested in pure planar? Because Hook-X is also very good but it’s a hybrid.

I suppose I am curious about Planar IEM. My desktop headphones are all Audeze.

My main concern in ordering the s-12 is in how many reviewers say the treble is hot.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #1,497 of 1,906
I recently bought the ultra hyped Linsoul 7Hz Salnotes Zero and thought they were just ok. I am considering buying the s-12 to try out a planar IEM. I am also considering the IE-600 which are on sale now.

What are the music genres that you regularly listen to?

And are you a basshead/treblehead etc?

These info will help the community to give a better suggestion.

Apr 7, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #1,498 of 1,906

Wasn't aware the salnotes Zero is linsoul exclusive

Apr 8, 2023 at 4:03 AM Post #1,500 of 1,906

I would recommend the ie 600 without hesitation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back