LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Jan 31, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #1,456 of 1,909
Has anyone tested the s12 with a&k pee51?

I use my S12 original (no mods) often with my A&K Pee51. With the 51 connected to my Windows 10 lap running Foobar2000, the S12 can be pushed upwards to 25 - 30 (quiet tracks, older more dynamic recordings), anywhere past that is too loud. On modern compressed music, 16 - 18 is often too loud. With other non-planar IEMs I have, the volume is usually anywhere between 4 - 16 on average depending on the track and how loud I feel listening. Volume is not an issue with the S12, so no worries with that.

Tonally, as a pair-up, I'd be careful with ear tip selection. I use Symbio W with my S12 now and the 51 and it is decent enough for longer listening sessions. The 51 seems to lean toward brightness, albeit in a good way, and the S12 original is bright too. I do remember the S12 being intense with Spinfit CP145 and I couldn't listen for too long without needing a break.

s12-p51.jpg

Agree with @rayliam80 .

I think the AK PEE51 shares the AK house sound which is a bit on the bright/edgier side, and the S12 is already quite bright in the treble, so personally I'm treble sensitive and find that they don't synergize that well. YMMV, cause we have different eartips, different hearing health, and play at different volumes (fletcher munson curve).

Eartips that tame treble will help for sure, if you wanna use this combination.

Feb 19, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #1,458 of 1,909
Okay. Question:

I have the original S12. They’re great. But they do lack some in the bass and the treble can be bright.

The S12 Pro can he had for about $110. Is that the upgrade or should I be looking at one of the other current planar sets?

Feb 19, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #1,459 of 1,909
Okay. Question:

I have the original S12. They’re great. But they do lack some in the bass and the treble can be bright.

The S12 Pro can he had for about $110. Is that the upgrade or should I be looking at one of the other current planar sets?
I have had the S12 pros twice and sent them back... Amazon hates me. :wink: I have tried a bunch of other IEMs and I have the S12 Pros coming in literally just a few minutes from Amazon. I bought a pair of Fiio FH9's that cost 559.00 and realized that the S12 Pros were about 95% as good. So I sent them back and ordered the S12 Pros for the THIRD time! The cable on the pros with the 3 different terminations is really just about as nice as the cable on the 600.00 Fiio. I think they call it the Chimera cable. I heard some reviewers saying the S12 is comparable to 500.00 IEMs. I have found this to be true. I am talking in generalities, but fit, sound, accessories, build... it is pretty amazing. Sometimes a special unit comes along and I think these are pretty special.

Feb 19, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #1,460 of 1,909
I have had the S12 pros twice and sent them back... Amazon hates me. :wink: I have tried a bunch of other IEMs and I have the S12 Pros coming in literally just a few minutes from Amazon. I bought a pair of Fiio FH9's that cost 559.00 and realized that the S12 Pros were about 95% as good. So I sent them back and ordered the S12 Pros for the THIRD time! The cable on the pros with the 3 different terminations is really just about as nice as the cable on the 600.00 Fiio. I think they call it the Chimera cable. I heard some reviewers saying the S12 is comparable to 500.00 IEMs. I have found this to be true. I am talking in generalities, but fit, sound, accessories, build... it is pretty amazing. Sometimes a special unit comes along and I think these are pretty special.

That’s a solid vote for the Pro!

Feb 19, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #1,461 of 1,909
That’s a solid vote for the Pro!
The @12's arrived about half an hour ago. I would adjust what I have said about a couple of things. 1. The cable on the Pros are very nice but they are two strands and in fairness to the FH9s, those I believe are four strands. So a nice feel on both but not the same level. 2. I would say the sound on the S12's is more like 90 percent of the FH9s, not 95 percent. All subjective but I paid 138.00 for the S12s after tax and 600.00 for the FH9s after tax. So for a quarter of the cost.

Feb 19, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #1,462 of 1,909
Okay. Question:

The S12 Pro is sonically same as S12, according to YouTube reviews. Pro comes with 3 interchangeable modular connectors (2.5mm, 3.5mm, 4.4mm).

Feb 19, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #1,463 of 1,909
Okay. Question:

Bro, I would advise to just save the money and upgrade up the line if you are already an existing S12 owner.

The S12 and S12 Pro are very similar sonically - maybe some graphs show a bit tamer treble with 3dB bass boost on the S12 Pro - but this could be unit variation? Maybe on A/B testing then it may be apparent. The S12 Pro comes with a modular cable, but IMO, not worth the extra outlay.

Feb 19, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #1,464 of 1,909
Bro, I would advise to just save the money and upgrade up the line if you are already an existing S12 owner.

The S12 and S12 Pro are very similar sonically - maybe some graphs show a bit tamer treble with 3dB bass boost on the S12 Pro - but this could be unit variation? Maybe on A/B testing then it may be apparent. The S12 Pro comes with a modular cable, but IMO, not worth the extra outlay.
I would agree with this assessment. Especially in light of the fact that you already have the S12s… I have never heard them so I don’t have a reference for the difference between the two. I also agree that it could be very minimal difference. I do EQ my earbuds to heavier bass as a rule and this makes up for any lightness in that area.

Feb 19, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #1,465 of 1,909

Right on. Thanks for the feedback. I had a feeling that they were basically the same tune.

Feb 20, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #1,466 of 1,909
Okay. Question:

I have the S12 Pro and unfortunately can not compare them to S12, but if you want to boost the bass and tame a bit the treble I can recommend to use Final type E tips. In my opinion it is quite nice combination if you want more punchy bass. I use type E with S12 pro in parallel with SednaEarfit Standard tips which on the other hand are more balanced.

Feb 20, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #1,467 of 1,909

Only difference is the cable per Letshuoer booth at CanJam SoCal last year.

Feb 21, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #1,469 of 1,909
If you guys listened to planar sets competing with S12, anything from PR1 to Zeitan Wu, I'd like to know if you liked any of those better than S12. I have a feeling that since the driver is the same, there are just minor tuning differences, but resolution and staging are the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back