LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Jan 8, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #1,441 of 1,906
Hello to all.

This is my humble opinion about the Letshuoer S12 PRO.
I hope you like it!

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/letshuoer-s12-pro.26277/reviews#review-29944

LetShuoer S12 Pro 27_r.jpg

Jan 13, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #1,442 of 1,906
Dropped my S12 from about 20-30cm height on a hard desk surface, one shell popped open :see_no_evil:

s12_separated_shell.jpg

seems like the adhesive they used just gave up. ambient temp was around 20°C, they were never exposed to extreme cold or hot conditions.

For now i'm using external tape to keep the halves together, but looking to use glue to fix it. Any recommendations on the kind of glue to use?
Did that happen to anyone else before?

Had a similar thing happen to nicehck n3 once, but that was when they had been exposed to very hot sun and they were much cheaper. I certainly didn't expect this to happen to the s12.

Jan 13, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #1,443 of 1,906
I recommend using soft glue so that the shell can close tightly and lock into place. superglue is not the best option. glue b7000 should be good (excess glue is easy to remove from the shell)

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #1,444 of 1,906
Love, love, love the S12.

Now searching for a full-size equivalent. Any suggestions?

Tried the Sundara and the Monolith M1070, but they don't come close...

Jan 16, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #1,448 of 1,906
Goes to show how underpriced the S12 is.
But really, you think we have to spend $500 to get $120 worth of sound?
My take. Similar, but not equivalent. S12 is nice, but no comparison vs full sized headphones.

S12 advantage: Boosted bass. Most planar magnetic headphones do not have boosted bass; actually most have bass roll off. So need to EQ to get the bass.
Headphone advantage (e.g. Sundara, Edition Xs, others): better detail/resolution, imaging/separation, and soundstage. But of course more expensive.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #1,450 of 1,906
Got the S12 pro around 2 weeks ago and I love it. The fit is good, the shell is small so I can wear it for a long listening session (5+ hours). I've had 7Hz Timeless and Raptgo Hook-X so I know what to expect from Planar IEM and the S12 pro doesn't disappoint. Comparing between the three planar IEMs that I have, the S12 pro is in the middle of them. The S12 pro took what good in those two IEMs and combine them.
It has smooth treble, I can hardly hear any sibilance and I can listen to it for a long time. The bass is punchy and has good weight to it. The mid is more fully bodied than the Timeless. Soundstage is bigger than the timeless but fall short than the Hook-X. Not to mention that The S12 pro is the cheapest of them all. It is hard not to recommend it really.

Jan 17, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #1,451 of 1,906
My take. Similar, but not equivalent. S12 is nice, but no comparison vs full sized headphones.

S12 advantage: Boosted bass. Most planar magnetic headphones do not have boosted bass; actually most have bass roll off. So need to EQ to get the bass.
Headphone advantage (e.g. Sundara, Edition Xs, others): better detail/resolution, imaging/separation, and soundstage.

I've compared the Sundara to the S12 and I feel as though the S12 is still better in the technicalities you mentioned.
The Hifiman XS is pricey.
According to Crinacle, the Audio Technica ATH-R70x may be full sized cans that come close, and for a lot less $$$ than the XS.

Anyone here have the S12 and the ATH-R70x?

Jan 18, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #1,452 of 1,906
I am now listening to the S12 again, even though both the Tri I3 Pro and the Hakugei Sea-elf sound better to my ears, just because it's easier to sleep with.

Jan 31, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #1,455 of 1,906
Has anyone tested the s12 with a&k pee51?

I use my S12 original (no mods) often with my A&K Pee51. With the 51 connected to my Windows 10 lap running Foobar2000, the S12 can be pushed upwards to 25 - 30 (quiet tracks, older more dynamic recordings), anywhere past that is too loud. On modern compressed music, 16 - 18 is often too loud. With other non-planar IEMs I have, the volume is usually anywhere between 4 - 16 on average depending on the track and how loud I feel listening. Volume is not an issue with the S12, so no worries with that.

Tonally, as a pair-up, I'd be careful with ear tip selection. I use Symbio W with my S12 now and the 51 and it is decent enough for longer listening sessions. The 51 seems to lean toward brightness, albeit in a good way, and the S12 original is bright too. I do remember the S12 being intense with Spinfit CP145 and I couldn't listen for too long without needing a break.

s12-p51.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back