LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Sep 16, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #1,306 of 1,906
Different filters? But that would have some impact on the FR, wouldn’t it?

Yeah, it would. If the driver were somehow different I suppose they could say it has an inherently smoother delivery, but their statement seems to be tantamount to saying nothing was changed, but the treble is smoother. IDK...🤔

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #1,308 of 1,906
Got these bad boys two weeks ago jumping on the planar train. Although the first unit they sent suffered from sound breaking up on the right side, they sent the replacement right away and arrived my hands in just three days(one of the perk living in Hong Kong).
I was first get acquaintances with planar with the beloved Tri i3 and was curious if the planar hype train was real.
I need to say that I was quite disappointed when I first listen to these out of the box. With stock cable and stock hard tips the sq didn't impress me.
Comparing to my current daily driver um mest hk special edition, the s12 sounds thin in the mids and borderline peircing on the highs (I'm a 33 year old).
The only good thing is the bass, which is fast and snappy but still lacking body and didn't hit deep enough for my taste.

So I did a little tip rolling and settled on the Azla sedna light tips which give me a perfect seal. I taped the upper vent tried cable swapping to see what happens.
The result surprised me. With the effect audio aros s (8 cores silver and copper hybrid)the s12 sounds much fuller in every spectrum. Although still maintain the slightly v shaped tuning, the mids have much more air comparing to the stock cable and soundstage is significantly wider (though not so much improvement in depth). Peircing highs are gone and the bass digs deeper and rumbles more.
P_20220919_175235.jpg
Switching to the NOBUNAGA Labs cochou cable (8 cores gold-plated 4N Pure silver) the s12 sound much balanced. It turns to a much u shaped sound with a tad of sweetness in the mids. Bass is much faster than the eros s and soundstage remains almost the same. There are some smoothness added to the highs and the vocals shines with this cable.

P_20220919_175429.jpg

All my testing was done on a hiby rs6 in 4.4 high gain. I like the r2r signature which gives the mids more body and I think It has better synergy comparing with my cayin n3pro in tube mode(maybe because of the output power?). And burning in seems very effective for the s12 to open up the soundstage and smoothing the edges of sibilance. I know these cables are costing much more to the earphone itself but in my opinion they get the s12 to its full potential. Next I may do some comparison with my mest.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #1,309 of 1,906
A note on the Shortbus mod: once you do it you can start using wide bore tips for improved soundstage etc. Originally when unmodded I was using Final E tips to tame the treble a bit, but since the mod narrows the bore I would reccommend something like Sedna Earfit Short to pair with it, it sound amazing.

Sep 21, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #1,311 of 1,906
Can anyone suggest good aftermarket cable for S12?
I got the openheart grizzly (or openheart 2 on aliexpress) balanced and I'm very satisfied. Big, Malleable cable with a clip, a leather carrying case, as sturdy as the stock one but the part of the cable which goes behind the ear is smaller than the stock one, making it way more confortable for me. There is also a 2.5 and 4.4mm option for this cable.
20220921_113742.jpg

Sep 23, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #1,316 of 1,906
Does anyone have the S12 & Timeless & Sony WM1A (original) with the MrWalkman firmware mods?

For me, the Timeless has an absolutely amazing synergy with the WM1A (especially with the JVC Spiral Dot ++ tips) - but, all this talk of the S12 being potentially better has me intrigued - I wouldn't want to lose the synergy though...

Any thoughts welcomed :)

Sep 23, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #1,318 of 1,906
Well, the housing on my right monitor has fallen apart. This is my replacement pair. I'm also finding the connection on both IEM's to be pretty spotty. I constantly have to take them off and push on the connection to stop them from cutting out and producing static.

I love the sound of these things but I'm not a fan of the build quality. A small amount of weak glue holding them together and there's very little solder holding the wires in place once they break open.

Not sure what to do here. Request a replacement for my replacement? First pair fell apart in two months and now this pair has suffered the same fate but on the other side. I feel weird hitting up customer service again but at the end of the day I'm still out $130 and still don't have a functional pair.

Sep 23, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #1,320 of 1,906
Bro, just glue them back together. Takes seconds..
e6000 glue.
I actually did glue my first pair together and they fell apart again eventually.

Also doesn't solve my sound cutting in out and static issue. To the naked eye the connection is as far in as it can be, flush with the housing, but I still have to take them off and push down to maintain a decent connection.

So yeah, maybe I could glue them back together and seek out an aftermarket cable with a tighter connection. Sure. Hardly seems like crap I should be having to do for a >$100 product that's mere months old but okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back