LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Jul 23, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #1,126 of 1,906
Does anyone have a Harman EQ for S12? Or even an "elevated low end with tamed treble" one? 10 bands EQ preferably. I found some pics of user's custom S12 EQ's in this thread but all of them looked kinda dodgy. Or maybe those are on point and the issue is my inexperience, it could be.

Jul 23, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #1,127 of 1,906
Does anyone have a Harman EQ for S12? Or even an "elevated low end with tamed treble" one? 10 bands EQ preferably. I found some pics of user's custom S12 EQ's in this thread but all of them looked kinda dodgy. Or maybe those are on point and the issue is my inexperience, it could be.
If you go here you will find. Either use a preset curve or match to another unit and the one you want to EQ goes into the top eq bar. The make sure to delete all the other curves other than your target and hit auto EQ

https://squig.link/

Jul 23, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #1,128 of 1,906
The S12’s treble really isn’t that enhanced. It’s not sibilant, and is still accurate. It’s as if you’re only sitting closer to the source. I can well imagine you may be rolling tips—you can try small bore tip for attenuating the treble if you like. The Spinfit CP145s work well…
That sounds assuring. I'm a bit treble sensitive.

Jul 23, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #1,129 of 1,906
Don't user KA3 vs S12 . I tried this but I had to sell it and move on to q5k after one week .q5k Very good .
current I am using this peq . You can try maybe you will like or not or try peq other. Good luck
dude this PEQ is good. I accidentally kept the treble at 0 instead of -6 gain and I like it like that. The -6 felt like it was muddling the treble. I didn't notice the difference at first but I'm digging it. Thanks. If anyone has their PEQ's I'd be interested to see how I can make the most out of the S12.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 6.48.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 6.48.00 PM.png
    278.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #1,130 of 1,906
If you go here you will find. Either use a preset curve or match to another unit and the one you want to EQ goes into the top eq bar. The make sure to delete all the other curves other than your target and hit auto EQ

https://squig.link/
Wow, this is a brilliant, much appreciated. I am wondering if there is an option of converting these frequency values into a graphic EQ band presentation form? I see the "export graphic EQ" option, but I didnt find the option to do that internally, within the software. My Shanling DAP has only bands, it doesnt support frequency values input, no preamp customization etc. Maybe I should install the "Wavelet" app on my phone and mimick the output bands with my DAP, that could work.

Jul 24, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #1,133 of 1,906
dude this PEQ is good. I accidentally kept the treble at 0 instead of -6 gain and I like it like that. The -6 felt like it was muddling the treble. I didn't notice the difference at first but I'm digging it. Thanks. If anyone has their PEQ's I'd be interested to see how I can make the most out of the S12.
This is two that I really like:
IEF Comp + bass boost. LSQ and HSQ are for tweaking (just play around with +/- gain) I love it for classical.
002C306A-110A-4290-A863-F6ED681E42E0.jpeg

The SO made tuned this manually.
Again adjust gain on HSQ & LSQ to suit.
Ignore the 8k adjustment, it doesn’t show up in the ear (not that much anyway) this is their everyday (Harmann) profile.
E1F351CE-5577-4F90-9391-0D437F2D145E.jpeg

Jul 24, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #1,134 of 1,906
Finally getting round to trying these.
Going to do a proper basshead assessment later after doing my own EQ, but first thing I notice is, yeah these are going to need more power than normal IEMs.
First impressions without EQ:
Midbass is nice and strong, treble is present, but it never gets too much, even on treble heavy tracks, it's perfectly controlled (as in, just before it's painful, it stops).
Sub bass is pleasantly present too.
Mids are close enough (intimacy wise - better than my Legacy 9s and probably around the same place as my Mangird Teas) which is where I wanted them.
Resolution is good, but it's only really on display when you give it power - I already know these are capable of more >=)
I'm currently using it single ended on my Qudelix 5K and I'm on 1 bar from max, whereas usually, even with EQ, I don't need to go much past half. Ordering a balanced cable for it ASAP, as it stands there's probably not enough headroom to do silly basshead things yet, so just going to enjoy it without anything crazy.
Somewhat tempted to plug it into the iFi iDSD Micro BL using IEM match and get experimenting with Equaliser APO, we'll see.
Using it with Spinfit CP100 M tips and my usual Kinboofi 16 core silver plated cable.
Signature is getting more pleasing as I go - good recommendation so far.

Jul 24, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #1,135 of 1,906
Going to do a proper basshead assessment later after doing my own EQ, but first thing I notice is, yeah these are going to need more power than normal IEMs.
Midbass is nice and strong, treble is present, but it never gets too much, even on treble heavy tracks, it's perfectly controlled (as in, just before it's painful, it stops).
Mids are close enough (intimacy wise - better than my Legacy 9s and probably around the same place as my Mangird Teas) which is where I wanted them.
Resolution is good, but it's only really on display when you give it power - I already know these are capable of more >=)
I'm currently using it single ended on my Qudelix 5K and I'm on 1 bar from max, whereas usually, even with EQ, I don't need to go much past half. Ordering a balanced cable for it ASAP, as it stands there's probably not enough headroom to do silly basshead things yet, so just going to enjoy it without anything crazy.
Somewhat tempted to plug it into the iFi iDSD Micro BL using IEM match and get experimenting with Equaliser APO, we'll see.
Using it with Spinfit CP100 M tips and my usual Kinboofi 16 core silver plated cable.
Super interested to see basshead EQ on the S12. Near max SE with the Qudelix tho? I’m not trying to speed run my ears just yet

Jul 24, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #1,136 of 1,906
Super interested to see basshead EQ on the S12. Near max SE with the Qudelix tho? I’m not trying to speed run my ears just yet
I'll let you know how it goes :L3000:
And, they're literally just that inefficient (relatively speaking, compared to an over-ear, they're still very efficient of course), I'm not doing anything crazy with that volume.
Coming to think about it, there's probably a little headroom, think I have my dsp to always be at -6.
Unit volume is at +1db and with a particularly "hard to listen to without EQ" track (Out Of Time - Monrroe; the treble is fatiguing), I'm at -5.50db (3 clicks from max) on system volume, but with dark and/or well recorded tracks, I can go to 1 click from max and feel no fatigue. That's not going to be enough headroom if I'm adding 6-9db or so of 40hz and below and reducing 6db of mids/highs for compensation. But who knows, these may respond better to EQ than expected.

Regardless, even without EQ, these defo have 3 or so more clicks up from normal in-ears, but SE from the 5K is defo enough. Never need to actually go max (which usually leads to distortion anyway) and I could remove the -6 and add a couple more db on the unit volume if I really wanted to (but as mentioned, that'll lead to distortion if I'm EQ'ing).

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #1,138 of 1,906
I did give it a go, however it's proving difficult to hit the mids/highs without completely destroying the FR. It will take time to really go through the most prominent peaks to keep the listening experience enjoyable whilst being (very) bassy. The driver itself isn't complaining thus far though which is good as I've reached the desired perceived amount of bass quantity. Might hit the the dynamic vs planar limitation regarding actual output when compared to the Legacy 9, but more testing is needed.
Not sure when I'll get time to properly comb through the EQ, but impressed so far - and will be nice to see what happens when I have more headroom on tap.

1658696940278.png

For more sensible listening, for my preferences it just needs some more sub bass (maybe a wide band +5/6db at 30hz or so) and a little high end treble to give some sparkle (maybe +2/3db at 14Khz). Possibly a tiny reduction in the treble to accommodate brighter, less forgiving tracks (-2db at around 4Khz), but for its price, I could listen to it without EQ and be happy.

Jul 24, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #1,139 of 1,906
I ordered one of these last night. They should look nice with the Z12s
Nicehck 16 cores 2.5mm balanced for ~$13
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKMN7O2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back