LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Jul 17, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #1,081 of 1,906
@Hepanlol This will achieve what you desire

Intriguing, thanks. I guess that rubber insert doesn't need to be specifically from those Etymotic tips, the only crucial thing is the right diameter of the insert and its hole. I have to browse thru my plethora of different tips, I am sure some of them has this bulkier stalk, thanks again.

* bummer that you didn't measure its diameter instead of its depth, you were so close haha

Jul 17, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #1,082 of 1,906
I should receive my pair as well in a week or two. I am excited yet worried that they will be too bright for my preferred (neutral warm) sound signature. I am just wondering if there are any obvious non-EQ tweaks I could try out to tame their treble? Only different tips, cables and the "tape" mods, right? Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the tips (not a fan of foam tips, which would be the obvious choice I suppose) or a budget "warmer" cable that could slightly tame the high end of S12?

I am using Spinfits on my IEMs, but I ordered MoonDrop Spring Tips as well and I am thinking about ordering "NiceHCK 16 Core High Purity Copper Cable" as someone in this thread mentioned it being on the warmer side. I should probably hear them first and then tweak them if necessary, but I am just trying to make a "what to do" list in advance.
Check out this thread
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/vwqzp6/comment/igckufm/?context=3

and this one https://www.reddit.com/r/HeadphoneA...nking_of_getting_a_letshuoer_s12_how_much_of/
(look for "TagalonON" reply)

and then check out posts by "TagalonON" as he usually has good links.

Best of luck.

PS..In terms of EQ'ing, check out the Qudelix 5K...should be able to do a better job of "fine-tuning" by using EQ vs tips.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #1,083 of 1,906
@Hepanlol This will achieve what you desire

Sure looks like the highs take an early dive after the measurement resonance peak with that nozzle mod. The bass mod may work but poking out the front vent is not something you can revert. Not saying it won't work but if you don't care for it, you can't really go back. It's a similar warning to the one I gave Olina folks.

I'd think just finding the preferred filter for the nozzle as opposed to that significant narrowing would do better at maintaining bandwidth as filters tend to have greater effect on the pinna gain than the highs.

His curve is less U shaped which I like but I actually prefer the bass not come up that early. Your RSV or my S8's response are actually closer to the stock s12's bass response, where it doesn't start a significant rise until below 200hz. Also, he should have matched amplitude at 1k in the compare graph as it's what we're all used to, so we can actually see a better comparison. But if not, even the lowest amplitude points are a couple DB off from each other. There's no real reference which if you're going to overlay...

All that said, It could be great as I haven't heard it and that's where the proof lies but I suspect it may be a bit extreme and the idea of doing something irrevocable to the front vent is unappealing. Imagine doing that and not liking it and/or if they get sold. If I desired more back resistance, instead of changing the filter on the driver I'd add a filter to the rear vent. The comment that Shuoer just doesn't care what's there is misguided and they tune with back port resistance (diameter) instead. That can be changed with an additional filter (in or outside) on the port or a narrowing of diameter instead which is exactly how Shuoer actually did it. The front vent is in the same chamber as the nozzle so adding that much restriction to the nozzle may have made opening the front vent more needed even though the nozzle is playing into a larger sealed chamber (ear canal).

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #1,084 of 1,906
Check out this thread
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/vwqzp6/comment/igckufm/?context=3

and this one https://www.reddit.com/r/HeadphoneA...nking_of_getting_a_letshuoer_s12_how_much_of/
(look for "TagalonON" reply)

and then check out posts by "TagalonON" as he usually has good links.

Best of luck.

PS..In terms of EQ'ing, check out the Qudelix 5K...should be able to do a better job of "fine-tuning" by using EQ vs tips.
Will do, thanks. Regarding the EQ, I am not worried here as I have more than solid EQ options on my Shanling DAP, I am just trying to avoid the bother of using software just to make them sound good (to me) as that would diminish the range of their usage with different sources.

Jul 18, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #1,086 of 1,906
Intriguing, thanks. I guess that rubber insert doesn't need to be specifically from those Etymotic tips, the only crucial thing is the right diameter of the insert and its hole. I have to browse thru my plethora of different tips, I am sure some of them has this bulkier stalk, thanks again.

* bummer that you didn't measure its diameter instead of its depth, you were so close haha
I'll measure it later and post here.

Jul 18, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #1,087 of 1,906
Pretty. I'm still happy I ordered stock S12 during the sale for under $130. Will be fun to play with. IF I mess with it, I won't try to make it sound like an S8 etc and just see what it's capable of doing on it's own thing. Goodness goes well beyond frequency response. It's not like an S8 doesn't need help either. Pinna gain is too high until you use Comply tips which I usually don't care for since they have a more noticeable sig than others. Just happens to fit the S8 perfectly with a snappy cable... for me.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #1,089 of 1,906

OK, Bore is about 4.75mm, inner diameter of insert is 2.65mm.

Jul 18, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #1,090 of 1,906
Anybody compares the hook x and s12?

I'm personally biased against piezo drivers so was happy to get S12 on sale. That said, proof is performance and the driver may be fine. Open back is a bit of a misnomer because of the driver construction, if it's the same driver, but it's a good looking device.

Here's a review that points to some of what I'd expect from a Piezo tweeter but still gets a recommended review. It would likely bother me but obviously it's not an issue for others.
https://primeaudio.org/raptgo-hook-x-review/

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #1,091 of 1,906
OK, Bore is about 4.75mm, inner diameter of insert is 2.65mm.
Much appreciated, this will help a lot.

Btw, I saw your IEM spreadsheet and your enjoyment of DUNU SA6. You mentioned somewhere in the YT comments that your music library consist of death metal as well, so I assume they perform well with heavier and denser stuff as well, right? My music library is 90% black/death metal and SA6 have been on my (end game) wish list for a while now, that's why I am nosy.

Jul 18, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #1,092 of 1,906
Yeah I love metal man. I play it, have since I was a teenager. I play more in the thrash/hardcore style but I know the way its supposed to sound very well. Yes this tuning is one of the only ones that does stupid well with metal. SA6 might be a bit much.. its more reference style. Metal needs a good amount of low mids and high bass to sound thick and correct.

Jul 18, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #1,093 of 1,906
Which tips are you guys using? I'm having trouble finding one that does not fall. Anyone can recommend me somethng like spinfit 145?

Jul 19, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #1,095 of 1,906
AZLA SednaEarFit Max. They’re new. I like them a lot with the S12.
How are they on sizing. Is the medium a true medium. Usually a good fit for me but have come across a few that are smaller. Could you also comment on that in relation to the insertion depth of the S12. Would you recommend a 1/2 size up on these since folks are saying they're a shallower fit?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back