LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Jul 15, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #1,066 of 1,906
Does the S12 take a standard 0.78mm 2-pin cable or does it have a notch/recessed port that I should be aware of before ordering a 2.5mm balanced cable?

TIA!

Jul 15, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #1,067 of 1,906
Does the S12 take a standard 0.78mm 2-pin cable or does it have a notch/recessed port that I should be aware of before ordering a 2.5mm balanced cable?

TIA!
Standard 2pin.
I believe what you talking about is referred to as QDC.

Jul 15, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #1,071 of 1,906
They are very comfortable however that cable especially the IEM plug feels too long and straight for me. I really dig the soft light cable on the Dioko with its curved 2 pin plugs.
I got a Tripowin Zonie cable as a replacement and have been enjoying it - much softer and better feel then the stock cable

Jul 16, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #1,072 of 1,906
I just ordered a pair. I wanted a planar and waited for some takes in the Dioko which sounds like it has some of the same errors as Olina tuning. reviewers that aren't engineers going for Frequency response at the expense of technicalities and natural presentation. You can have both but in this price range, there will always be compromises and it appears they make the wrong ones since these reviewers, that I still very much respect, are too frequency focused. Bass damping and high frequency trade offs for a smoother response are normal and often needed compromises here. While I adjusted both to VG effect on the Olina, it's not a given it can easily be done on another device.

The Timeless I heard sparked my interest but it was a little warm/slow for me. Seems the s12 has tried to address that with a more rhythmic bass and snappier top. Probably a little U shaped for my full preferences but seems to have the most PRaT of the bunch :relaxed: and I have a stack of nozzle filters if I want to tone it down a touch.

What really seems odd about the Dioko is that with stronger magnets, it's a couple DB less efficient when it should be the opposite. I wonder if they spaced them further away from that diaphragm or they happen to be thinner width (for less physical blockage) in the same housing with less overall magnetism at the diaphragm as that would be the only reasonable explanation and probably the wrong compromise. Perhaps they are stronger and smaller to offer more air space between them but why fix something that isn't broken. Control and efficiency may be bedfellows in this case.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #1,073 of 1,906
Jul 17, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #1,074 of 1,906
The most what?

PRaT = Pace, Rhythm and Timing. An immeasurable, subjective factor that some people talk about in regards to audio gear, especially higher end stuff. It has to do with whatever audio gear you're using (amp, cables, headphones, speakers, earphones, etc) and whether or not the combination of all of it makes you want to "tap your feet" to the music playback.

Jul 17, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #1,076 of 1,906
prat is one of the stupidest audio terms ever. Might as well say the music 'is musical'. @_@
LOL, Rude and unaware is not a good combo. PRaT comes for a combo of good phase/time domain, group delay, impulse and damping and is simple way to describe that interactive relationship as they influence one another. A piece can have good PRaT and not be considered musical by an individual due to tonality or overdamped bass etc. I'm sure Naim, Linn and respected reviewers that use that term don't hold a candle to your superior intellect. :rolling_eyes: If you know 1/2 as much as I do about audio, you're lucky. When's the last time you repaired an electrostatic speaker, rebuilt a dynamic driver, repaired or modded an amplifier, had major manufacturers adopt corrections you initiated to their kit? Owned genuine Hi End home kit? I won't insult you like you chose to do me but will simply say that post was really uncalled for and should be corrected. This pattern of yours needs to cease. We can disagree on things without that sort of comment.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #1,077 of 1,906
You may think its rude to call something like it is. Just take it at face value. It's not a useful way to describe anything having to do with IEMs.

Jul 17, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #1,078 of 1,906
I should receive my pair as well in a week or two. I am excited yet worried that they will be too bright for my preferred (neutral warm) sound signature. I am just wondering if there are any obvious non-EQ tweaks I could try out to tame their treble? Only different tips, cables and the "tape" mods, right? Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the tips (not a fan of foam tips, which would be the obvious choice I suppose) or a budget "warmer" cable that could slightly tame the high end of S12?

I am using Spinfits on my IEMs, but I ordered MoonDrop Spring Tips as well and I am thinking about ordering "NiceHCK 16 Core High Purity Copper Cable" as someone in this thread mentioned it being on the warmer side. I should probably hear them first and then tweak them if necessary, but I am just trying to make a "what to do" list in advance.

Jul 17, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #1,080 of 1,906
You may think its rude to call something like it is. Just take it at face value. It's not a useful way to describe anything having to do with IEMs.
LOL. OK, internet expert. Guess what made the Jh13fp ground breaking. I had a pair. Even single driver IEMs can lack proper damping and rhythm. Of course it matters. Olina before a mod is a good example of some interesting technicalities sans PRaT. It's clearly underdamped.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back