LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Mar 9, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #589 of 1,906
S12 arrived. Obvious driver flex in the right monitor. Slight distortion as well. So these will be going back. Sucks because they do sound pretty great for $150.

Maybe the best timbre in a planar iem I’ve heard. Scales with power like all planars do - ignore anyone who tells you otherwise. However, they don’t require loads of power like other planar iems.

Speaking of that: s12 shows it’s limits when compared to the grossly underrated tin p2. Cymbals are more smeared and less crisp as just one quick example.

S12 bass is very nice, and I think what you should expect from a large planar driver. I’m not surprised some in here can push it to extreme basshead levels for themselves. I’m still not reaching for planars when I want pure bass - yes they have great texture and can dig deep, but lack the visceral experience I’m looking for. XBA-Z5’s coated 16mm driver still the champ for me.

I probably won’t be ordering another s12 even though it’s really good. Not a perfect iem, and priced appropriately, but obviously there’s a pretty big QC issue with these drivers and I’m not sure it’s something I think customers should accept from an established brand like shouer - glad I went with Amazon.

Mar 9, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #590 of 1,906
S12 arrived. Obvious driver flex in the right monitor. Slight distortion as well. So these will be going back. Sucks because they do sound pretty great for $150.

Maybe the best timbre in a planar iem I’ve heard. Scales with power like all planars do - ignore anyone who tells you otherwise. However, they don’t require loads of power like other planar iems.

Speaking of that: s12 shows it’s limits when compared to the grossly underrated tin p2. Cymbals are more smeared and less crisp as just one quick example.

S12 bass is very nice, and I think what you should expect from a large planar driver. I’m not surprised some in here can push it to extreme basshead levels for themselves. I’m still not reaching for planars when I want pure bass - yes they have great texture and can dig deep, but lack the visceral experience I’m looking for. XBA-Z5’s coated 16mm driver still the champ for me.

I probably won’t be ordering another s12 even though it’s really good. Not a perfect iem, and priced appropriately, but obviously there’s a pretty big QC issue with these drivers and I’m not sure it’s something I think customers should accept from an established brand like shouer - glad I went with Amazon.
half of my iems have driver flex but my s12 did not have it unless i block front and back vent, anyway it is not dangerous for the driver (my iems are still working fine) and i think it does not impact sound qualitty ( that is from what i read because it is impossible to test at my level )

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #591 of 1,906
half of my iems have driver flex, it is not dangerous for the driver (my iems are still working fine) and i think it does not impact sound qualitty ( that is from what i read because it is impossible to test at my level )
My EJ07M, Timeless, RAH, Xelento, Vesper, and Eternal all have driver flex. Foam tips mitigate kt, tight sealing silicone exacerbates it. Left ear is stronger than the right except for EJ07M where for some reason the flex is more pronounced on the right.... None of them have been returned all of them are enjoyed....

Mar 9, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #592 of 1,906

I did not know that a planar could have "driver flex"; I thought that was only DD Drivers. You learn something every day.

Mar 9, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #593 of 1,906
The s12 stock cable’s microphonics plus the driver flex makes these some of the noisiest iems I’ve ever put in my ears. Driver flex is very loud when no music is playing and audible at quiet levels of music. It’s just a bad experience… I also mentioned there’s distortion, should I live with that, too?

I’ve been in this game for over 15 years… I know all the tricks to mitigate flex, or treble peaks, etc. Doesn’t mean I want or should have to do that. Driver flex is not normal or common, or at least it didn’t used to be, and just because it’s popping up in many sets, some that are really expensive, doesn’t make it more acceptable, it just means these companies are lacking on QC because it appears many of their customers are fine with that.

FWIW I had no idea about driver flex in the s12 or timeless drivers until listening to the s12 and hearing it, and then I went through this thread and see it it mentioned a lot.

Mar 9, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #594 of 1,906
The s12 stock cable’s microphonics plus the driver flex makes these some of the noisiest iems I’ve ever put in my ears. Driver flex is very loud when no music is playing and audible at quiet levels of music. It’s just a bad experience… I also mentioned there’s distortion, should I live with that, too?

I’ve been in this game for over 15 years… I know all the tricks to mitigate flex, or treble peaks, etc. Doesn’t mean I want or should have to do that. Driver flex is not normal or common, or at least it didn’t used to be, and just because it’s popping up in many sets, some that are really expensive, doesn’t make it more acceptable, it just means these companies are lacking on QC because it appears many of their customers are fine with that.

FWIW I had no idea about driver flex in the s12 or timeless drivers until listening to the s12 and hearing it, and then I went through this thread and see it it mentioned a lot.
Such a shame you have got a problematical set. I don't find the cable microphonic or any driver flex, definitely no distortion. I find them very enjoyable. You should be getting a perfect pair so you should get a return organised. Many have a good experience with the S12. Hope you get it sorted.

Mar 9, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #595 of 1,906
Same here stock 4.4 cable no noise whats so ever? No idea what driver flex is. All i know they sound great.

Mar 9, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #596 of 1,906

I had the same distortion/flex on mine, but ONLY from AC powered source, DC is perfect clear, no distortion no flex.

Mar 9, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #597 of 1,906
I had the same distortion/flex on mine, but ONLY from AC powered source, DC is perfect clear, no distortion no flex.
That’s not driver flex as it’s not dependent on there being any power… it’s audible when unplugged. It’s usually due to air getting trapped in the membrane. What you’re likely talking about is distortion.

Mar 10, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #598 of 1,906
Such a shame you have got a problematical set. I don't find the cable microphonic or any driver flex, definitely no distortion. I find them very enjoyable. You should be getting a perfect pair so you should get a return organised. Many have a good experience with the S12. Hope you get it sorted.
The microphonics on the cable is due mostly to stiffness and is not that big of a deal, it will generally subdue over time. But the combination of cable noise and driver flex is really too much.

I’ll just be returning these for a refund. Like I said originally, I can tell they are very good for the price, buts for me it’s not worth the roll of the dice to get another set with driver flex or other issues and have to return that as well. If I didn’t already own competing and/or better sets I might be more willing to take the risk.

Mar 10, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #599 of 1,906
Really interesting review, I'll now be ordering a pair of these.
CMA has reviewed some titans in the iem world, and his reviews have had me dying to try the likes of MAD24 and other summit iems. To see him give such an insanely high rating for a product in this price range...Interesting.

Mar 10, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #600 of 1,906
[/QUOTE]
Really interesting review, I'll now be ordering a pair of these.
CMA has reviewed some titans in the iem world, and his reviews have had me dying to try the likes of MAD24 and other summit iems. To see him give such an insanely high rating for a product in this price range...Interesting.

He's only telling the truth. To my ears the Letshuoer S12 is way up there with the best I have heard. I got these for $129, which is insane. They take EQ like a champ.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back