LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Feb 19, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #526 of 1,906
I fianlly bit the Bullet. I just have to satisfy my own curiosity. S12 will be my 8th Planar IEM and I just need to compare it to the Timeless for myself. It should be in my hands in about 10 days! Another set of impressions is forthcoming! I'm excited to get 'em and to start the shoot out!

Feb 20, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #527 of 1,906
Does anyone care to comment on the supplied cable? Recommendations for a cable swap?

Feb 20, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #528 of 1,906
Does anyone care to comment on the supplied cable? Recommendations for a cable swap?
I've got the 4.4mm stock cable and the 2.5mm stock cable. Both are excellent to me. I didn't like the stock tips, so am now on the Azla Sedna Earfits Large. Spiral Dots and Azla Xelastecs also work well for me. Something I'm aware of, in using Amazon HD, 2.5mm balanced with my Radsone ES100, or FiiO BTR3 (3.5mm) as a USB dac/amp, the power does not seem to be enough unless using the ubiquitous UAPP. So I use my own music folders or Tidal through UAPP, which allows 'Hardware volume control' through UAPP and really unleashes the FiiO BTR3's and especially the Radsone's balanced power.....and sounds great. I could imagine some users underpowering the S12, which is quite easy if is using an Android phone without using UAPP. Looking forwards to your comments on the S12, Timeless quandary.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #530 of 1,906
Hi, how do they sounds for rock? For exemple Red Hot, Chevelle, ACDC, Royal Blood...

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #531 of 1,906
Hi, how do they sounds for rock? For exemple Red Hot, Chevelle, ACDC, Royal Blood...
They rock! :metal:

Seriously, they sound great.

Feb 22, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #532 of 1,906
I’m new to IEMs and decided to get involved late December as a gift to myself for being so good the last 2years. Initially it was the purchase of the L&P W2 for my headcans, and then came the hype for the Moondrop Kato and the 7Hz Timeless. I decided on the Kato believing it was a more conservative entry purchase, if for any reason, the Kato’s well-received tuning and the newness of acceptably tuned planars.

Then came the LETSHUOER S12, and I decided I could afford getting into the realm of planars, if for any reason, accustoming myself to their character at a very affordable price. I’ve ordered the 4.4mm balanced cables for both IEM sets, and have an ‘4.4mm to 3.5mm SE’ adapter for comparison. In any case, that was mid-January and I’m still waiting for both IEM sets, both vendors now claiming to be restocked by the end of the 1st week in March.

If I’ve learned anything from reading all 531 posts in this thread, is that we all have different ears and the S12 appears to be quite sensitive to the fit. I’ve ordered one of the short-range size of Xelastic ear tips for my Airpod Pros just for sizing, while hoping the “sticky” character of these ear tips will better help keep them in place of my fuzzy ear canals. I’d appreciate any insight…

The SPDIF output for the L&P W2 should allow me to test both IEMs relative to power using the same DAC, but I’m really hoping the balanced out from the W2 is going to suffice for powering all situations and genres.

Cheers from the Avalon…

Feb 22, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #533 of 1,906
We might share the same tastes, still hard to chose yet between S12 and Olina. But the fact you rank the S12 at first place might convice me!
s12 like any iem is not perfect, it is bright border sibilant so it can get fatiguing having so much information in the trebble. adding bass with equ to s12 tames down the fatiguing trebble (balancing of all frequencies done in our brain i guess). no idea why the vent mod to boost bass did not work for me on s12 it almost cancels the sound when i push on the iems inside my ears, weird, it doesn't do that canceling effect on my modded heart mirror, so i ended up using an eq to boos t the bass on s12, give it a try, it is surprising how our brain no longer pay attention to trebble hotness when we add bass or is it frequency masking ? i am not an expert in acoustics but it helped with the trebble fatigue on my heart mirror and my s12. precision i am not adding bass to s12 because it lacks bass like heart mirror, s12 stock bass is plenty enough, i add bass to s12 to attenuate this trebble fatigue, i am trading a bit too much subbass for less trebble fatigue

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #534 of 1,906
Hi there rarewolf

I used the Azla Xelastics with the S12 for a while and thought they worked very well with it. They have that sticky quality but don't bounce back to shape very quickly. I've used the Xelastecs, Spiral Dots, and Azla Sedna Earfits and I thought they all worked well and sounded good on the S12.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #536 of 1,906
Well I broke down and ordered the Olina to compare with the S12. Wonder which one will arrive first? I'm going to spend a few days playing the A to B game to decide which one will be "the Highlander".
I was choosing between the two but went for the S12 because I am curious how planar sounds. I believe they'll be more complementary sets rather than rivals. I think Olina will probably be the safer option for most.

Feb 23, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #537 of 1,906
The S12 sound keeps reminding me of electrostatic headphones. I find while full sized planar and electrostatic headphones don’t sound alike, especially the budget planar sets like LCD2, which sounds fat and rich at the expense of precision, some high end planar, with thinner diaphragm, do sound a little like electrostatics. My guess is thinner diaphragm allows a faster speed, lower distortion and therefore less coloration. That’s why many people like pairing electrostatic headphones with tubeamp to enrich the sound. If so, that would suggest the driver in the S12 could be pretty thin, resulting in a fast, clean, precise, detailed, low distortion response, while giving away the euphoric aspects like richness, thickness, slower decay of bass notes. I would imagine the S12 pairs well with tube amps.

Feb 23, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #538 of 1,906
The S12 sound keeps reminding me of electrostatic headphones. I find while full sized planar and electrostatic headphones don’t sound alike, especially the budget planar sets like LCD2, which sounds fat and rich at the expense of precision, some high end planar, with thinner diaphragm, do sound a little like electrostatics. My guess is thinner diaphragm allows a faster speed, lower distortion and therefore less coloration. That’s why many people like pairing electrostatic headphones with tubeamp to enrich the sound. If so, that would suggest the driver in the S12 could be pretty thin, resulting in a fast, clean, precise, detailed, low distortion response, while giving away the euphoric aspects like richness, thickness, slower decay of bass notes. I would imagine the S12 pairs well with tube amps.
It does with my mini twin tube amp, The Little Bear 4x. It sounds very analogue as the tubes warm up. I guess it will sound even better with proper tube amps. Mainly I use them 4.4 mm, stock cable (which is excellent) with my HiBy R5 which is a bit warm. Personally I don't find that my particular S12 gives away the euphonic aspects. I have compared it A/B with a lot of similar priced IEMs, including a well received much more expensive hybrid IEM and I don't find that sweet musical euphonic sound is all lost with my set. Maybe they just suit my ears/brain because there are divided opinions on them. I use them as my go to set and I have burned them in over many hours. Generally I don't need to EQ them but they take EQ very well. Mind you I can only hear to about 13khz nowadays as I age. I find the bass strong, detailed yet well rounded and pleasing even without EQ.
I do agree though I think that they are made for tube amps. But they seem to be 'heard', so differently by many in the community.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #539 of 1,906
It does with my mini twin tube amp, The Little Bear 4x. It sounds very analogue as the tube warm up. I guess it will sound even better with proper tube amps. Mainly I use them 4.4 mm, stock cable (which is excellent) with my HiBy R5 which is a bit warm. Personally I don't find that my particular S12 gives away the euphonic aspects. I have compared it A/B with a lot of similar priced IEMs, including a well received much more expensive hyprid IEM and I don't find that sweet musical euphonic sound is all lost with my set. Maybe they just suit my ears/brain because there are divided opinions on them. I use them as my go to set and I have burned them in over many hours. Generally I don't need to EQ them but they take EQ very well. Mind you I can only hear to about 13khz nowadays as I age. I find the bass strong, detailed yet well rounded and pleasing even without EQ.
I do agree though I think that they are made for tube amps. But they seem to be 'heard', so differently by many in the community.
Well, one can make a headphone more euphoric by matching with the right components, but can’t make a colored headphone sound clean. So it’s a good thing. Glad that you like the S12 with a tubeamp, I think I’ll take the same path. Thanks!

Feb 28, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #540 of 1,906
Got them today and you know what?... I'm happy! These sounds pretty good, just needed about an hour to open up.
Great ones... tested with Pc and shanling up2, hiby r3 saber, and now with Phone/Btr3k, excellent!
Using a balanced silver cable, spinfit CP100.
Thanks to the ones helped me decide to buy them🤘

Users who are viewing this thread

Back