LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
May 4, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #736 of 1,909
Currently using Qudelix 5k wired to iPhone. Have tried cable swapping with no change.
That's odd, I use Qudelix balanced out and don't have any hiss. You might want to contact LETSHUOER about this once they get back from holidays (from 6 May onwards). Their customer service is top notch.

May 4, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #738 of 1,909
I dunno, that looks way too big and heavy for daily use out and about. I'd image it would a pain every time I take my phone out of my pocket, I'll have to hold that DAC so it isn't putting strain on the phone's USB-C port, and then when I put it back into my pocket I'll have to arrange it so it's not gonna scratch up my phone.
I am really impressed with letshuoer's DT02 dongle, it is really small profile yet with both 3.5 / 2.5 and noticed with usb-c the connector is not as warm as using the included usb-c to lightening connector on iPhone. if small DAC is what you after, prob worth checking it out (and it is quite affordable too). It drives both 07 and s12 well without any issue.

Also, I have to say it get a bit too warm using the connector on iPhone, with just usb-c seemed fine (on my MacBook Pro dont have non-iPhone to test out), and I do imagine phone's battery life will take a hit. I also have utws5 and able to drive s12 well too, but definitely can tell the drop in quality (most likely due to iPhone's AAC with lack of LHDC)

May 4, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #740 of 1,909
So do you think a pure high purity silver cable would benefit the signal transmission, hence affecting (positively) the sound?
For a sensitive IEM, in portable powered DAC and high quality cable does change sound profiles - snake oil or not my very own ears / setup has been able to tell. of course, a lot other factors involved as well, such as single-ended with balanced. You have to try it to find out for yourself.

Now though, if you are using desktop DAC with plenty power, cable does not change much anymore, my only non-scientific guess is when there are plenty power/voltage to transfer signals over the cables, desktop device is able to properly drive the singles for the IEMs; whereas in portables with limited power, those tiny resistance within the cable (materials/constructions etc.) will somewhat affects the signal (however small, as remember those signals are trying to make IEMs to reproduce htz in sound surely tiny fluctuations make an impact for the sensitive IEMs).

But like many said, it is best for you to try it out using your setup, after all it is your gears for your ears to (or not able to) tell the difference

May 4, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #741 of 1,909
For a sensitive IEM, in portable powered DAC and high quality cable does change sound profiles - snake oil or not my very own ears / setup has been able to tell. of course, a lot other factors involved as well, such as single-ended with balanced. You have to try it to find out for yourself.

Now though, if you are using desktop DAC with plenty power, cable does not change much anymore, my only non-scientific guess is when there are plenty power/voltage to transfer signals over the cables, desktop device is able to properly drive the singles for the IEMs; whereas in portables with limited power, those tiny resistance within the cable (materials/constructions etc.) will somewhat affects the signal (however small, as remember those signals are trying to make IEMs to reproduce htz in sound surely tiny fluctuations make an impact for the sensitive IEMs).

But like many said, it is best for you to try it out using your setup, after all it is your gears for your ears to (or not able to) tell the difference
Thank you! and yeah.. I was thinking in ordering through AliExpress, but I need the option to send it back if it doesn't work, and for that only Amazon has my trust.

May 5, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #742 of 1,909
I get that when using balanced output off of ifi ZEN DAC

Yup, ZEN CAN's balanced out is more powerful that its single-ended out, so some background noise can be heard with sensitive cans/IEMs when there's no playback.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 5, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #743 of 1,909
Wow....so happy you like them. They do seem to divide people. I really love them. Did you try them with the stock cable? They do burn in over time as burn in and brain burn in meet each other. Enjoy.
Steve
Hi, just tried them with Stock 4.4 and Xduoo link2 balanced, i'm fine!:ksc75smile:

May 5, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #746 of 1,909
Does anyone know of an EQ setting for a Harman like response?
Mine, actually
Screenshot_20220505-200654_SoundAlive.jpg

May 6, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #748 of 1,909
So these are really something. Just got them and after a month of the Timeless, these are definitely better right out of the box. Where the Timeless felt a bit too smoothed over (despite being detailed) and boomy. These have just the extra bite that I didn't realize I needed... Interesting to see how they will change over time.

The bass is definitely got more slam (perception of detail).

Edit: Was worried about these being too bright. Not to my ears. I think the entire top end is more consistent too.

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #749 of 1,909
So these are really something. Just got them and after a month of the Timeless, these are definitely better right out of the box. Where the Timeless felt a bit too smoothed over (despite being detailed) and boomy. These have just the extra bite that I didn't realize I needed... Interesting to see how they will change over time.

The bass is definitely got more slam (perception of detail).

Edit: Was worried about these being too bright. Not to my ears. I think the entire top end is more consistent too.
about s12 being too bright, what bothered me at first was the slight sibillance ("s" and "f" on human voice) reducing 8k did not fix it so i did a bit of bass boost (+3db) in eq on 30hz to balance the high frequencies in the overall perception and i no longer notice the sibillance.

May 9, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #750 of 1,909
about s12 being too bright, what bothered me at first was the slight sibillance ("s" and "f" on human voice) reducing 8k did not fix it so i did a bit of bass boost (+3db) in eq on 30hz to balance the high frequencies in the overall perception and i no longer notice the sibillance.
If the increase in bass helped you perceive less sibilance, and if you want a hardware correction instead of EQ, then you might want to try adding a filter to the front vent - should lead to a similar bass boost and tame the treble. I use my S12 with this mod and Final E tips and, while it has good treble extension, I don't hear it as aggressive or sibilant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back