LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Mar 24, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #631 of 1,909
I tried a few eartips with the S12, here are my impressions:
Azla xelastec (ML): best sounding, clean and dynamic, best texture and resolution, very good feat. Be sure to get the good size!
Spinfint CP100 : sounds good, better than CP145
Spinfit CP 1025 : sounds as good as Xelastec.
Spinfit CP 145 and Final type E : imo, loose a bit in resolution and texture, bloated bass, darker sound, loose clarity and air.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #632 of 1,909
Azla xelastec (ML): best sounding, clean and dynamic, best texture and resolution, very good feat. Be sure to get the good size!
Spinfit CP 145 and Final type E : imo, loose a bit in resolution and texture, bloated bass, darker sound, loose clarity and air.
A couple of years ago I bought a 3 pack of final E tips and have tried the, on every iem that has passed through my hands. To date I have found one instance where I liked them. In every case I ghear what you describe. I think I keep them just to keep proving to myself how much I dislike them.

Mar 24, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #633 of 1,909
Yep i agree with top 2 and use the azla xelastec as well and SednaEarfitLight and CP100 xl plus

Mar 24, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #634 of 1,909

JCally JM10​

DAC Chip: Cirrus Logic CS43131
PCM 32bit – 384kHz, SNR: -120db, Power: 1-2 Vrms Adaptive, USB Type-C Female, 3.5mm SE (Microphone: YES), 10g

Abigail​

Abigail Prototype 00
DAC Chip: Synaptics (Conexant) CX31993 Single
PCM 32bit–384khz, SNR: -128dB, Power: 1 Vrms 65mW x2, USB Type-C Male, 3.5mm SE (Microphone: YES), 12mm, 5g,

TempoTec Sonata HD Pro​

DAC Chip: Cirrus Logic CS43131 (Single)
PCM 32bit–384khz, DSD256, SNR: -128db, Power: 2 Vrms Adaptive, USB Type-C Female, 3.5mm SE (Microphone: NO), 10g

Hey thanks for a through answer.

How can I know which Vrm they will run at S12 16ohm?
And should I always seek more than 2 Vrms? As many people suggest to feed it more power?
Unfortunately they normally provide imcomplete specs, just maximum power at any load. Usually that's @32ohm, but you can consider that value for 16ohm load also because rarely is lower when single ended (3.5mm). Max voltage is not that useful as it happens at higher impedances, typically @300ohm on dongles.
You should seek more than 2V if the headphone need that to reach your loudness target with a lot of headroom. That's usually the case with higher impedance headphones, but not iems. Power directly translates into volume, 120db spl should be the limit for safe listening, more than that is immediately painful and cause hearing damage/tinnitus.
Don't forget if you're using EQ that's double the power for every 3db added.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #635 of 1,909
Yep i agree with top 2 and use the azla xelastec as well and SednaEarfitLight and CP100 xl plus
Totaly agree, using CP100 L or XL on almost all my iems, they fit very well and sound good.
Azla are sometimes hard to fit. I only use them on S12 and Believe. Firstly i bought the L, they became way too big, i did a 3D print of my ear canal with them (particulry after i cleaned them with a hot water bath!). Just got the ML and they are good (will avoid hot water).

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #636 of 1,909
I should have the Timeless planar (thanks to a friend) within a couple of days, so I hope to make a comparison with the Shuoer S12 which I've had for a few weeks. I'll use the same stock cable, same tips, same source and try to volume match. I am so looking forward to hearing the Timeless. After being lucky enough to have the TR1 i3 and the S12, the Timeless is hopefully 'up my street'. Will post my comparisons after a few days with it.

Mar 24, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #637 of 1,909

Thanks for these 1st-hand comparisons.

Judging from other responses, it seems I’m on the right track with Spinfits and Azla. Too bad it’ll be another week before I can try them. The CP1025s also looked interesting but I could only find them for wireless earbuds(?)

Mar 25, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #639 of 1,909
Thanks for these 1st-hand comparisons.

Judging from other responses, it seems I’m on the right track with Spinfits and Azla. Too bad it’ll be another week before I can try them. The CP1025s also looked interesting but I could only find them for wireless earbuds(?)
Yes, there is only that tiny size, i will try the largest size. Azla is a safer choice.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #640 of 1,909
Just came here to say that the S12 is the one IEM I keep thinking of purchasing again having sold my set to fund Dusk and eventually Variations.

Probably going to buy these again as they really do blow everything under 300 dollars out of the water IMO. And this might be blasphemous, but I personally enjoyed them more than the Dusk, especially after some EQ tweaks.

Mar 27, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #641 of 1,909
Mine should (finally) arrive next week, maybe even tomorrow. This little one will have big expectations to fill, right now I'm pretty happy with the one I have, to the point of even selling my Aria (Oh... Blasphemy, but I don't have this much of ears left to keep every IEM I test)

Mar 27, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #642 of 1,909
So, I've spent a few hours comparing the Olina and the S12 now and I don't think I've found a single instance in which I prefer the Olina.

As has been pointed out, most especially by dharmasteve, these things do drums so much justice it's hard to even explain. Every hit is distinct and the cymbals have a shine and crispness that I haven't experienced since my Audio Technica ATH-AD900s back when I had a vinyl collection and tube amps. But then, they do the low end as much if not more justice then my Sennheiser HD-25 1 Mk. IIs. Like, the kick drum really kicks and the bass evokes a resonance that I can feel in my body. It's glorious.

I was just doing a bunch of A to B comparisons, playing sections of a song over and over and then switching to the other IEM and comparing. I listened to Deftones, Porcupine Tree, Big Thief, **** Buttons, Nine Inch Nails, Bon Iver, Tool and a fair bit more and in every instance the S12 won out. The last two comparisons were where I finally decided to call it quits and accept the fact that I'm probably not going to find a song in which I prefer the Olina: the beginning of "UFOF" by Big Thief and the beginning of "Flume" by Bon Iver.I had heard the Olina were good with acoustic stuff so I figured I'd it was time to put them in their wheel house. In the first instance I paid particular attention to the drums as played in the first 15 seconds. On the Olina they kind of melded together and were a little lost in the rest of the song. On the S12 they were distinct and clear, but in no way overpowering anything around them. For "Flume" the acoustic guitar was just so much more clear and resonant on the S12 it really wasn't even fair to continue. To me it felt like a knock out blow so that's where I stopped the comparison.

There was one song, "Piggy" by Nine Inch Nails, where I felt the snare hits had more oomph on the Olina but then the S12 revealed so much depth to each hit -- you could hear the damn chains rattle like your head was next to the drummer! -- that I instantly forgot that it didn't have quite as much punch. This was one of the only instances in which I felt I could give a slight edge to the Olina. There were moments during comparisons where I thought I heard a detail I hadn't noticed on the S12 while listening to the Olina, but switching back over instantly proved that I was wrong: I just hadn't been paying attention to that particular sound because the S12 was blowing my mind with other things. That's kind of the story over all though: the S12 is just fun as hell to listen. There were moments where I caught myself continuing to listen to a song because I was just so into it, something I realized wasn't happening with the Olina.

To get less technical, what I noticed every time upon the immediate switch was that the Olina felt darker and colder to me while the S12 was brighter and warmer. I don't know if I'm using those terms correctly, but those were the sensations that came to mind. The S12 had an appreciably bigger sound stage and gave the impression of being in a room with analog instruments, something I just didn't feel with the Olina.

I feel really weird bad mouthing the Olina because they are a really nice set of IEMs. I love their case and their look and for $100 they sound really, really good. I had a week with the Olinas before the S12s arrived and I was digging them so much I considered not opening the S12s. I thought I was totally satisfied. I'm glad my curiosity won out, though. I got the S12 for one $130, and to be honest for only $30 more it's not really a fair comparison. Now, it looks like Letshuoer is upping the MSRP on the S12 to $170 and that's where you might be able to start to make a value judgment concerning price to performance but honestly, even then, if you can afford the extra $70 it's not really a contest.

Let me say this to finish off: I am just a laymen and I would hardly call myself an audiophile. I'm at best audiophile adjacent, lol. I'm listening to FLAC files and 320 kbps mp3s through a lower end DAP, the FiiO X1 (to be replaced by the Sony NW-A55 tomorrow). Take my opinion with a grain of salt, and of course everyone's ears are different. But I just spent a few hours of my life shoving foam ear tips (the same Comply tips were used on both the Olina and the S12) into my ears over and over again like I was trying to achieve some kind of audio climax through half inch penetration, and I figured I might as well share my viewpoint if it helps someone out. I'm a guy who can't afford the latest and greatest and I had to choose between the S12 and the Olina for the IEM that will be with me for at least the next few years. The S12 won out handily, and I'm even more excited than I thought I would be because it's exactly the type of audio device that makes you want to re-listen to your entire collection, I don't think there is any higher praise than that.
sure s12 has more clarity, more detail more bass than olina but on acoustic instruments and vocals i feel olina sounds more natural and meaty, s12 vocal sounds thinner and border sibilant for my ears. s12 is so clean and detailed it is a bit unnatural (like turning the sharpness or contrast up on a tv). i enjoy them both for these differents reasons, too bad we can't have both s12 details and olina natural timbre in one iem, i'd happily pay $200 for such iem :)

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #643 of 1,909
I have Abigail and CX Pro . Is this enough for S12?

I read Andydongle website, he says Jcally Jm10 and Tempotec HD Pro (both vrm2) Is this gonna power it better? Should I aim for vrm4 like tempotec e35?

I dont know anything about audiophile system, I just need something to listen with S12. within 20-30$
yes your abigail is enough for s12 i was casually at 50% volume on abigail for s12. $10 apple dongle was also around 50% volume for s12 and sounded smoother than abigail i prefer it for s12 that is on the bright/sharp side

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #644 of 1,909
To be honest, the one area I didn't feel an appreciable difference between the S12 and the Olina was with vocals, they both sounded great there. As for acoustic instruments, to my ears the S12 are great with acoustic guitars, sounding chunky, resonant, and detailed.

I haven't noticed any sibilance but the S12 are a little bright to me. However, coming from the Tin T4, they don't ever feel harsh the way those did. Like, I listened to Ben Frost's 'By the Throat' yesterday which has a lot of piercing distortion that can murder the ears on lesser headphones and the S12s handled it flawlessly.

I will admit though that my collection leans toward electronic and rock primarily. One album Olina sounded great with was The Fountain OST by Clint Mansell and the Kronos Quartet. Were I big into Classical and music comprised entirely of vocals maybe the Olina would be more my speed, but for the stuff I listen to they just came across as thin in comparison to the S12. The bass and the drums are just on a whole different level which gives rock music a body I haven't experienced in a while.

And yeah, it would certainly be interesting if someone could marry these two sounds. Is it technically possible to put a DD and a Planar in together?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back