Lets try this here: Upgrade from E-MU1820?
Mar 31, 2010 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Brandon7s

100+ Head-Fier
I tried posting this in the dedicated source forum, with no response, so I figured I'd try here. I apologize if this just clutters things up.

I'm using an E-MU1820 as my DAC currently, and I think that this is my weakest component in my chain (see sig). How much would I need to spend before I approach the price range of a DAC that would be a clear upgrade from the EMU1820? Would almost any DAC be an upgrade?

Also, any suggestions on DACs in the 200-300USD range that are a good match for K701s?

The DACs I have my eye on currently are the Audiophile Spitfire and LD_DACII. Any opinions on those? Could I do better in my price range?

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #2 of 8
If you're using a computer as a source, there's a computers-as-sources forum too

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Apogee mini DAC will be a great and a clear upgrade. BTW, the Matrix M-Stage looks like a great clone of the Lehmann Audio Black Cube.

Honestly, I tried doing some A/Bing test with my Emu1820 headphone out jack, and the Matrix M-Stage... and for the life of me, I could not tell the difference between them with any of my headphones (DT880\250, DT990\250, K701, soon to try M50). Maybe a slight change in soundstage on the K701, but if there were any other changes, I couldn't detect them. That's what got me thinking about getting a dedicated DAC. I figure the EMU1820 is the weakest link in my audio chain. Does that sound like an accurate assessment (chain in sig).

The Apogee mini DAC looks lovely, but it's also a bit on the expensive side for me. Anything a little less expensive than that? Say, around 400USD (give or take 100, if it's worth it). I'd have a tough time justifying something nearly twice that.

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon7s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, I tried doing some A/Bing test with my Emu1820 headphone out jack, and the Matrix M-Stage... and for the life of me, I could not tell the difference between them with any of my headphones (DT880\250, DT990\250, K701, soon to try M50). Maybe a slight change in soundstage on the K701, but if there were any other changes, I couldn't detect them. That's what got me thinking about getting a dedicated DAC. I figure the EMU1820 is the weakest link in my audio chain. Does that sound like an accurate assessment (chain in sig).

The Apogee mini DAC looks lovely, but it's also a bit on the expensive side for me. Anything a little less expensive than that? Say, around 400USD (give or take 100, if it's worth it). I'd have a tough time justifying something nearly twice that.

Maybe you can try the Apogee Duet, or the mini DAC at Guitar Center. I have the mini DAC, and members here review the Duat as good as the mini DAC. You can get the used Duet around $350, but the Duet support only Mac platform.

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon7s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mac only? That's odd. Otherwise, that'd be a good option.

Yep...is sad this issue with Apogee and the PC users.
redface.gif
Only the mini DAC still have PC drivers, the Duet and the One support only Mac. The last option will be the RME Digi 96/8 PRO 24bit 96KHz (PCI card) used go around $120.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back