Let's talk Psytrance and Goa...
Jun 20, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #151 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by sisenor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, discogs doesn't have it but it's listed on allmusic. I downloaded it from emusic. It's wonderful...I like it better than the Goasia tracks from Purple Energy 2 while I haven't heard the Suntrip release yet.

Oh! Now that's surprising, i really never heard about it before.
I'm not the biggest Goasia fan out there, but more goa in this day and age is always good to take.

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #152 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Goa's complexity is orders of magnitude higher than most other electronic music subgenres, and where Goa starts to meld with other genres you usually get some absolute musical gems.

x2

Jul 6, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #153 of 186
ahh timely resurrection. I have found some gems this past month.

Third Ear Audio. holy crap. Doof and Earthling teamed up to create something quite tasty. dubby bits, trancey bits, funny bits, sublime bits. this one went straight into my shortlist.

I was late to the party in playing Mirrors Edge, wow what an experience. I wasn't interested in it for a while and then one day I stumble upon the news that Solar Fields was responsible for the game's score. the album just got released on amazon recently and i'm loving it. between Movements, and this score... I am really liking where Solar Fields is going these days.

(comp) One Dub [Interchill records] this one was remarkable for me in that it is quite a full compilation, 15 tracks, and there was only 1 track near the end that I felt I wanted to skip. It was a treat to hear Liquid Stranger getting dubsteppy, and the first track sets the mood, "life is sweet". great dub/reggae for a lazy afternoon.

Sep 14, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #156 of 186
I have read some good words on Tegma, though i never listened to it myself.

Anyway i just listened to the album of Fragletrollet "Playground Of Spirit" which i found to be one of the best album i've heard this year.
It's an album that deserves to be listened as a whole rather than analyzing it track by track. It's very well mixed and coherent, really sounding like a concept album rather than a compilation full of different tracks.
But that doesn't mean its sounding the same all the time, it actually has a lot of variety; from tribal goa to forest to dark, be ready for a fantastic ride across the dark places this guy is invinting you in.

In other news, i went to Ozora last august and had some very good times. That was my first festival ever and my head is still full of wonderful memories. The music in itself wasn't always to my tastes though i'll have to admit.
There was too much housy prog and guitars based full on which imo have nothing with this genre (Electric Universe was absolutly awful for that matter.. electric guitars almost on every tracks, it looked more like a rock concert tbh - same goes for Juno Reactor).
During the nights they were mostly playing darkpsy, which i like for a while but i'd have really appreciated to have more variety.
But enough with the complains.. here are some vids of some of the best moments i've had:

Man With No Name - Teleport
Aes Dana & Carbon Based Lifeforms
TrippyHippies - Darkpsy madness at night
Shpongle Live - DMT (HD)

Can't wait for next year!

Sep 15, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #158 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by NacMacFeegle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow...That Shpongle vid is awesome...I take it you ran the camera? If so, lucky!

Nah it wasn't me. But i was there somewhere dancing
tongue_smile.gif

Shpongle live was really good, ppl were ready for it and we had the luck to see some fireshow/fireworks every once in a while.
They also played at least one new track at the end called "India" which will be in their next album. And if the quality of that album is as goos as that track, it's going to be up there with Are You Shpongled?

Oct 18, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #159 of 186
WoW. The new Shpongle album was AMAZING. Maby their best? I love it
frontwl.jpg

And i found this one to be very nice to get my dancing foot working. Uplifting but in a new more advanced sounding....
Alienn - Cosmic Matter
frontln.jpg

Nov 17, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #160 of 186
The new Shpongle CD (Ineffable Mysteries from Shpongleland) and DVD (Live at the Roundhouse 2008) are both out and available. For those that don't know, Twisted Records is having some financial difficulties and they really need strong sales in order to continue to publish the music of their artists.

The new CD is a mixed bag for me - some of the songs are quite good, and I even like the songs with strong vocal leads. The sound quality, production and compositional creativity are all present in spades. On the negative side, I think Indian samples and instruments are over-used, which can create a rather cheesy, cliché 'chillout' vibe that is more Buddha Bar than Shpongle. There's also one song that sounds astoundingly similar to '..And The Day Turned to Night', even going so far as to use the same rhythm and intervals for the main synth lead (as well as the same time signature). Overall, it's very deserving of a spot in their highly esteemed catalog and in the collections of electronic music listeners.

The DVD also has excellent sound quality (especially for a live performance) and it's quite a trip to see the songs played in a live setting - I think seeing the music being made added to my appreciation. I give this a high recommendation.

Nov 18, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #161 of 186
Quote:

Originally Posted by HippieTom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WoW. The new Shpongle album was AMAZING. Maby their best? I love it
frontwl.jpg

And i found this one to be very nice to get my dancing foot working. Uplifting but in a new more advanced sounding....
Alienn - Cosmic Matter
frontln.jpg

Yo! I reviewed this over at psynews.org... I need to revise it a little. The only thing I haven't loved, sort of ironically, is Michelle Adamson's bit on "No Turn-Unstoned" She just clearly doesnt have the voice that Hari Om has later in the track and she sounds kinda cracked out??.. Maybe that's just my perception. But this album really grows on you, hard to get sick of. I also, maybe don't need to say it's the best...I'm just satisfied, that's all....Now you're able to imerse yourself in four hours of Shpongle universe, instead of three. Can't valuate each minute of it, ya know?

Dec 5, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #162 of 186
On the new Shpongle:

Shpongle have made a career of ignoring the formula and going their own way, which is why "Nothing Lasts..." which more-or-less stuck to the Shpongle formula was a step down. I feel that "Ineffable Mysteries..." keeps going in that direction. It's Shpongle, and that more or less sums it up, and that's wrong, because earlier on in Shpongle's career this music could never have been summed up. There's less inspiration and innovation here than on the previous disk, which in itself was less inspired and innovative than what went on before. It feels to me that Shpongle are more cynical than inspired, but then again this disk was created due to fan pressure so that's only to be expected.

The beats are now more acoustic but also more generic. Somehow the presense of acoustic instruments in electronic music seems to automatically warrant praise, but you have to know what to do with them. Spectral made acoustic beats complex and original, but here Shpongle doesn't seem to do so well. Also the poppy, commecial singing on "No Turn Un-Stoned" is jarring and drastically out of place.

On the plus side I do like the shift towards more Indian melody and Raja Ram's flute is, as always, impressive and even more prominent.

So, on the whole this is a good disk with a lot of great tracks and a lot of very good melody. But this is Shpongle. They're supposed to be brilliant. Merely good doesn't cut it. I have a feeling that they have already said everything that they wanted to say musically in the first 2 disks, and are now simply trying to find different ways of saying the same thing to please the fans that simply want more. I'd rather they leave it be, and go onto other projects. If you start making music out of cynisism it will affect your writing abilities. You have to constantly innovate and create from inspiration, or you will wither.

Good disk, but I think other artists are starting to leave Shpongle behind. Maneesh De Moor's "Sadhana" for instance has a lot of that vivid freshness and inspiration that's missing here.

Dec 5, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #163 of 186
Quote:

On the new Shpongle:

Shpongle have made a career of ignoring the formula and going their own way, which is why "Nothing Lasts..." which more-or-less stuck to the Shpongle formula was a step down. I feel that "Ineffable Mysteries..." keeps going in that direction. It's Shpongle, and that more or less sums it up, and that's wrong, because earlier on in Shpongle's career this music could never have been summed up. There's less inspiration and innovation here than on the previous disk, which in itself was less inspired and innovative than what went on before. It feels to me that Shpongle are more cynical than inspired, but then again this disk was created due to fan pressure so that's only to be expected.

The beats are now more acoustic but also more generic. Somehow the presense of acoustic instruments in electronic music seems to automatically warrant praise, but you have to know what to do with them. Spectral made acoustic beats complex and original, but here Shpongle doesn't seem to do so well. Also the poppy, commecial singing on "No Turn Un-Stoned" is jarring and drastically out of place.

On the plus side I do like the shift towards more Indian melody and Raja Ram's flute is, as always, impressive and even more prominent.

So, on the whole this is a good disk with a lot of great tracks and a lot of very good melody. But this is Shpongle. They're supposed to be brilliant. Merely good doesn't cut it. I have a feeling that they have already said everything that they wanted to say musically in the first 2 disks, and are now simply trying to find different ways of saying the same thing to please the fans that simply want more. I'd rather they leave it be, and go onto other projects. If you start making music out of cynisism it will affect your writing abilities. You have to constantly innovate and create from inspiration, or you will wither.

Good disk, but I think other artists are starting to leave Shpongle behind. Maneesh De Moor's "Sadhana" for instance has a lot of that vivid freshness and inspiration that's missing here.

Just wondering how many listens you gave it? It took a few for me to get into it...

Dec 5, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #164 of 186
Oh, I do reserve the right to change my mind over time
tongue.gif
Been spinning it over the last few days but we'll see where it goes. Spectral's "Diffuse" is one of the best disks I've ever heard but it took me months to get it.

Dec 5, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #165 of 186
Quote:

Oh, I do reserve the right to change my mind over time
tongue.gif
Been spinning it over the last few days but we'll see where it goes. Spectral's "Diffuse" is one of the best disks I've ever heard but it took me months to get it.

I was just making sure you'd heard it more than once
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back