Let's talk about your hearing.
Feb 21, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #46 of 50
I developed hyperacusis after using headphones for prolonged listening of approximately 3 hours a day. Getting to occupy them for 6 hours straight, at moderate-high volumes. One day my ears said, no more, and I can't use headphones. My hearing hurts after a minute. I'm getting closer to audio through speakers and at very low volume. Is better to go slowly, measuring the limit of tolerance and without forcing. I am considering leaving the audio for a year or two to see what happens.

It is a job of acceptance for an audiophile but there are more things in this life to enjoy.

Blessings for your audio system

Mar 25, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #47 of 50
If I can see you I can probably hear you, and although my ears have rang 24/7 since Oct 1987 and I have abused them in a manner to void any warranty, you just can't find better equipment on sale anywhere at any price.

I saw a video of someone trying the herb kanna who said it had a quieting effect on their tinnitus.
I have ordered some from ebay, got the first batch today and if it can found to be of benefit to the many, what have I that I cannot give but up?

Hmmm?

Mar 25, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #48 of 50
what?

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #49 of 50
What's that, I didn't hear you...

The title of the thread is let's talk about your hearing, so I did. If I can see you I can probably hear you.

My hearing includes a sound similar in comparison to that which cicadia make, a precious gift not everyone is privileged to have and some who do seem not to care for it at all.

Hench I will give of myself and test this South African succulent herb "Kanna", legal in the US of A, that at least one person has claimed made their precious gift disappear, for the good of the many who would just as soon return it for a full refund.

I will keep mine, as we've been together so long, nobody else would have me but.

Mar 25, 2024 at 11:11 PM Post #50 of 50
I've had permanent tinnitus for a couple months now, with only slightly poorer hearing in 8-9k. I've given up on headphones since they aggravate my tinnitus, but its probably just a mental thing, although I did find that closed headphones make the tinnitus appear to be louder because it blocks outside sounds and IEMs aggravate my TMJ. Most people here want completely silent PCs when listening to music, but I couldn't live without my clocks, pc fans, and air purifier in my room.

Like others have said, it could either be from allergies, TMJ, or loud noise. Some things that come to mind are those stupid "pep rallies" I used to have to go to during high school well over 100 db with the insanely loud music and high school kids screaming at the top of their lungs in a tiny reflections-galore basketball arena, operating chainsaws, lawnmowers, etc. as a kid without knowing to use ear protection, and accidentally listening to IEMs with the volume on full blast.

Last few times I went to the ENT I forgot to mention about ear cleaning, I assume he did not think my ears were in need of cleaning, but I want to try and get it done anyways. Is it completely safe?
i have tinnitus myself, it can be uncomfortable but some things i noticed that might help:
- headphones give you a kind of closed in feeling, specially isolating ear buds or such could aggregate your tinnitus, my recommendation are open back soft padded headphones in that regard i have no problems with my DT880 the velour pad probably helps a bit too to open up the sound instead of some leather.... this gives you a more comfortable expierence closer to speakers, but with headphones

- EQ is one important note here.... already correcting to the Harman curve helps with headphones alot with taming high frequencys that might aggregate your tinnitus... if the harman curve alone doesnt help try to apply a slow rolling high shelf filter with some db"s down at 20khz.... you might find bands that are specially critical if you tinker around a bit...

- crossfeed can help to give your brain/ears more sense of a "natural" speaker response, which might help too... it eases the closed in feeling (closed vs open back is specially important here too)

my first guess of people saying they cant use headphones (for whatever reason, tinnitus one of them) are that the frequency response (and well some other things mentioned above) is just not for them

EDIT: oh and dont forget this one.... if you isolate outside noise you are left with hearing your tinnitus more in my expierence... if i cant stand my tinnitus on some days i actually listen to either music or something else, silence is your enemy here, of course dont make your tinnitus worse with high volumes...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back