Lets talk about the ATs!
Mar 31, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #31 of 76

Quote:
Has anyone tried the any of the TAD phones?  I can't even tell if they're open or closed.  I suspect the 400 is open and the 500 is closed maybe.  descriptions aren't the best.  

http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_36&products_id=3051

http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_36&products_id=3052

TAD is the open version of the T series. The numbers correspond with the closed equivalents of T200, T300, T400, T500. As of now, the T200, T300, and T400 are currently the only models of the T or TAD series to be currently distributed in the US. Certain companies (like audiocubes) do import them on their own, but of course you end paying more than what the street value would be if AT decided to release them to the US market. As I mentioned before, I own the closed T400, which is a good headphone for the price of $50-60, but they will not compare to more expensive models. In the T series and TAD series, there is a big gap between the 300 and 400 levels, with the 400 and 500 models having a notably different design than the cheaper models. One strange thing I noticed, while the T400, T500, and TAD 500 all use variations of the same 53mm driver, the TAD 400 does not. It apparently uses a smaller 40 mm driver, which I would assume is a variation of the one used on the TAD300, T200, and T300.

Another interesting aspect of the 400 and 500 models is that they use a self adjusting headband similar to that of AKG rather than the wings of other AT models. The 200 and 300 models use more of a conventional headband.

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #32 of 76

Quote:
Sorry, there is a comma at the end of the link, i edit my post already, anyway here is the link again http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_40f078a90100cw8a.html
I am sure you would be amazed by this guy.

Amazed by the size of his wallet ? Sure, but I've seen the other side of the Chinese economic miracle. All power to the guy, even if Google Translate appears to have turned the text into complete nonsense. 

Mar 31, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #33 of 76
I think the wing system is probably too subjective. For me, the wings are the best headphone thing happened to me, making wearing the headphones so comfortable and non-fatigue. I have broad head by the way, guess the wings just won't work for people with smaller heads.

Quote:
Things that puts me off AT is their stupid Wing systems which is a real pain in the ass for small heads. What exactly was wrong with a headband? Being different is good, but when you've designed something rubbish, just admit your mistake and revert back to what everyone else is using. I have no idea how the Japanese people use it. That said I'm still looking very forward to purchasing an AT in the next couple of weeks. I'll have to get some rubber bands as well to keep it on my head.

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #34 of 76
If I did not remember him for another guy, he is very very famous for a Orpheus drama on the headfi forum of china.

Quote:
When you want to talk about audio technica , you should ask this audio technica fanatic, http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_40f078a90100cw8a.html when i see this blog, i mean, what the hell, you can talk about any headphone to him. He is friendly too.

Apr 1, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #35 of 76

Quote:
If I did not remember him for another guy, he is very very famous for a Orpheus drama on the headfi forum of china.

lol do you mean the listening Jay Chou's one? (if yes, which side he was = =)

Apr 2, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #36 of 76
I am new to "good" headphones, but I love my M50's since they are the first good pair I have ever purchased I can't really compare them to any other type or brand. I also just bought the CKM50A's for portable use and they sound great as well.

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #37 of 76
Yes, but besides that. It seems he promised someone to buy a Oupheus system, but after all kinds of trouble and travelling for the seller, he backed out.

Quote:
lol do you mean the listening Jay Chou's one? (if yes, which side he was = =)

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #38 of 76
From your avatar, you got the limited edition!

Quote:
I am new to "good" headphones, but I love my M50's since they are the first good pair I have ever purchased I can't really compare them to any other type or brand. I also just bought the CKM50A's for portable use and they sound great as well.

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #39 of 76

Quote:
Yes, but besides that. It seems he promised someone to buy a Oupheus system, but after all kinds of trouble and travelling for the seller, he backed out.

ah he was the "buyer"... the seller was quite pitiful indeed > <

Apr 4, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #40 of 76

Quote:
I think the wing system is probably too subjective. For me, the wings are the best headphone thing happened to me, making wearing the headphones so comfortable and non-fatigue. I have broad head by the way, guess the wings just won't work for people with smaller heads.

I think you summed up everything about AT in general with the word "too subjective."   The wing design is just odd.  Some people hate it depending on the shape of their head.  It wreaks havoc with headphone stands, and I WANT to hate it. And yet, despite the fact that the lack of clamping pressure makes them easy to shift and flop around on my head, I have to concede that the AD700 are still the single most comfortable headphone in my stable. I forget they're there, they just float on my head and don't bother me.  No clamping, no headphone strap crushing into my skull, no readjusting it to relieve pressure from the back of my jawbone or edge of my skull.  They're just there.

That doesn't make them my favorite headphone sound-wise, but they're the most comfortable by far.  And for that reason I love them for quick gaming, video, etc.  They blend away when music is not the focus of the event more than anything else I've owned.  Also, where I still think they're ideao for video, games, etc is the huge sound-stage.  AFAIK they have angled drivers like the HD800 (even if the angle is only created by the pads) and it is used to good effect.  I think they're plenty immersive for media even without a lot of sub-bass, and in the case of games, excessive sub-bass use in the recording itself can be fatiguing, so the rolled off bass, I see, as an advantage there (same for HD650.)  Not good for competitive gaming, mind you, but for escapist gaming it's ideal (for my tastes.) 

If I ever added additional closed backs to my collection AD900X would be among the top on my list, assuming Denons were out of the mix.

Apr 4, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #41 of 76

Quote:

If I ever added additional closed backs to my collection AD900X would be among the top on my list, assuming Denons were out of the mix.

AD series are open - I think you mean A900X, although I'm not sure just what difference the X makes to the sound sig. It reminds me of the ATH-ESW9JPN owners who grudgingly admit that the only difference between their ESW9s and mine is cosmetics. 

Apr 6, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #43 of 76
Hmm between this thread and this one I don't know which one I should post in! ( http://www.head-fi.org/t/592247/the-audio-technica-collectors-thread ) Any possibility that they could be merged?

I love AT gear, as its always comfortable and (generally) well made, with great vocal reproduction. Luckily in Sydney there is a Audio Technica direct kiosk, so its been possible for me to audition and buy quite a few models (though the entire range is not available in Aus.)

As for my AT's, I have the following:

AD2000: I got these on the FS forum, and they are fantastic as you can imagine. Basically an airy sound that does terrific things for female vocals; a tremendous sense of breath and pace, delicate detail and also surprisingly a nicely extended bass region (though a little subtle). What is of note is that the mids are forward on this. I did not really know what a mid-forward sound was until I heard this - rather than a treble spike or a nasally kind of colouration, it sounds like the entire range of female vocal frequencies is just louder in the mix. There is no sibilance or fatigue, but I imagine that this effect is not for everyone. They are very fast and great for electropop / synthpop, and overall very dreamy. They are comfortable for me like all the 3D Wing AT's, but the cups do touch my ears and so after a few hours do make them a little sore. No problem, I just switch to something else then. XD

AD900: An airier sound then the AD2000, and for some these might be better. They don't have the same mid-colouration, but actually they do have a somewhat nasally sound. Soundstage is not quite as accurate as the AD2000 (its more smeared across a wider expanse) but still special. They are also supremely comfortable. I'm actually trying to sell a pair so if you are curios check my signature! :3

Pro 700MK2 ANV: The 50th Anniversary Edition of the Pro700Mk2. When I compared them to the normal edition I found that there was less plasticky housing reverb, which I suspect might have been a dampening effect of the aluminium accents on the driver cups. The sound was also a little more cohesive though it wasn't the best environment to do an exact comparison. For 300 compared to 200 dollars in price (In Australia) I felt that the nicer build quality, better sound, newer drivers, etc was worth it. These aren't the bass monsters that you might expect, but have a very solid, cohesive and dark sound to them, but still manage clear vocals and most surprisingly for a closed phone a really well formed soundstage.

M50: I picked these up like any good head-fier. I like them but with some sources, and particularly unamped, the treble can exhibit a little too much bite. To be honest while these are good, I generally recommend the Sony ZX700 to anyone now over the M50. The ZX700 is more comfortable, easier to drive, more compact for portable use, and has a more balanced sound. Plus it's cheaper!

SQ5: I got these because they looked pretty neat. I like them, but they have a bit of a nasally sound (classic kind of AT signature but not as refined) and really quite bad reverb problems from the plastic housing. They are also surprisingly hard to drive. I have a white pair which I've stuffed with quite a lot of blu-tack and foam as a damping mod, and the results are pretty good. I mostly use them for jogging.

CK90Pro: Until I got my SM3's (and later the XBA-4's) these were my favourite IEM. They are dark sounding, but have tremendous transient performance. Decay times are unfortunately too short to have the correct kind of timbre but they are almost perfect for electronic music, with a surprisingly weighty bass section. I'm very interested in the CK90Pro MkII as a result.

Quote:
Who's heard ES88?  There's not much by the way of impressions other than it being cold.  Same drivers as ES55, I read in another thread.  ES55 seems to be pretty good going by what people remark about it, ES88 should be a little better in some ways with all that aluminum.

I can tell you that the ES88 are good, but probably more worth the Japanese price (around 150-200) than the overseas price. They have a rich sound, slightly mid-bassy though overall quite refined, and with little housing reverb because of the metal cups. I felt that they are quite different from the V-shaped sounding ES10's. The only real issue with the sound is that the earcups seem so small and shallow that the sound is a little congested. It can sound murky at times, or even constrained / overdamped. 

Anyway, other than these AT's and the CKS70's and some clip ons I gave to friends, thats my opinion on what I've heard. Yes, I do really like AT gear. ^__^

Apr 7, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #44 of 76
Thanks a lot!
Sounds like it needs modifications, which mean all the more fun for me. 
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back