Let's talk about forgotten and underrated albums.
Jun 5, 2008 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

John E Woven

500+ Head-Fier
how about it? These albums are often eclipsed by the band or artist's other albums, but they hold their own. Albums that are spectacular, yet forgotten.

I'll start it off; Fates Warning - No Exit. This album is the most popular of Fates Warnings albums, but that isn't saying much, with a #111 on the charts, for 13 weeks. It's a masterpiece. Fast, brutal, and refined. Highly recommended.

Emperor's IX Equilbrium. Rather technical, an impressive feat of music. Too much so, at some points. It gets a bit repetitive and is too complicated at points, but it's truely an album that deserves another look.

Your turn.

Jun 5, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #3 of 69
I definitely think One Hot Minute by the Red Hot Chili Peppers is an incredibly underrated album. The combination of Dave Navarro's guitar style, Flea's backing vocals, and Anthony Kiedis' lyrics about descending into a secretive drug-induced depression is just mind-blowing.

It's depressing, beautiful, and psychedelic.... I just don't understand why people skip over it so much.

Jun 5, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 69
"In The Court Of The Crimson King" King Crimson WOW!!!!

Jun 6, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #5 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthecup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"In The Court Of The Crimson King" King Crimson WOW!!!!

Seriously? I bought that CD because of how much praise it gets here, and becuase of the number of bands who list them as an influence. I tried to like it, but failed.

Jun 6, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #7 of 69
Winger - Pull

Yes, I'm serious. Forget Winger's first 2 albums, which were better-than-average glam rock, but nothing more. Pull is excellent.

Feel free to snicker.
cool.gif

Jun 6, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #8 of 69
Hum - Downward is Heavenward

Brilliant (last) album from the guys who brought us "Stars". Pretty well recorded too, almost a live, in studio sound.

Jun 6, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #11 of 69
I can definitely get behind The Fragile.

I thought Sunny Day Real Estate's The Rising Tide didn't get the attention it deserved, brilliant work right before the rise of emo and it wasn't whiny enough I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back