Let's talk about CA colleges. ;)
Aug 7, 2002 at 6:35 PM Post #16 of 22
Well first i'll try to deduce the basics. You're sister goes to a UC, so you're probably not an idiot, and you probably can afford a UC education, but they're pretty reasonable so who couldnt anyway?

Now I'll say that any of the UC's are gunna be pretty decent (in the end i realize what an awesome place santa cruz would be to live, after visiting my friends there), and you'll be able to get a good education or a crappy education out of any of them (easy thing to do in big school). Reputation is one thing, and the actual feel of a school is another completely. If I can give one suggestion it would be to, before summer is over, throw out all of your pre-existing notions about name brand colleges, and TAKE A ROAD TRIP, so you can see whats available/what feels good to you. Also try not to limit yourself and/or overthink applications. Apply to a diverse set of colleges to leave your options open, cuz no one knows what they're really gunna be when they're 17!

I was a little dissapoined in myself in the end after only applying seriously to about 3 schools, only 5 in all, because i arrogantly thought i was getting into Stanford (i'll give a vote to keep that randomness thing in mind regarding getting accepted) and I ended up at UCLA engineering. I wish i'd applied to more schools, and remember that you have to LIVE at the school you go to, so keep in mind that social atmosphere and population are going to make a huge difference in the end. Not that UCLA is bad
wink.gif

good luck... keep an open mind...

Aug 8, 2002 at 4:56 AM Post #17 of 22
I ended up going to Pomona College out in Claremont, CA. I was really happy there, profs spend a lot of time with you and the classes are small. Besides the larger ~150 size general chemistry class when everyone says that they are pre-med freshman year, classes in your sophmore year onwards average 8-12 people. Private liberal arts colleges are a little costly at ~$40K a year including room and board, but I think it is well worth it (just gotta take out loans). Pomona has great financial aid as well, which really made me happy.
The I-banks and consulting firms that recruited during my senior year like the students there a lot. A lot of kids with Economics majors or double majors ended up with great jobs in the financial market despite the problems with the labor market. The best school for people interested in business would be Claremont McKenna, of the 5 Claremont Colleges - it's a great way to join a good ol' boy network and get a job. Connections really help...
I wouldn't recommend a UC school. I've heard horror stories about students not being able to register into classes that they want and end up graduating in 6 years. If you compare 6 years at a state school versus 4 years at a private school, the difference in cost isn't as dramatic.
For academics and your future, I would go private liberal arts. For women, I'd definitely go state school, probably UC-Irvine...
Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Good Luck,
Yi

Aug 8, 2002 at 5:52 AM Post #19 of 22
I beg to differ. Difficulties registering for classes is exagerated at public schools. I know because I went to one and had no problems double majoring and coming out in four years. IMHO, the truth is, it doesn't really matter where you go because it will NOT determine your future. Sure, some initial connections may help, but in the long run, it is YOUR ability that counts, not where you went to school. Thus, my best advice is this: go visit them colleges, see where you like to spend your four years, and then apply there.

Aug 8, 2002 at 6:04 AM Post #20 of 22
Definitely, I agree w/ Mic that your college experience is ultimately yours to decide. However connections (both personal and school, especially through alumni) are especially important in the consulting and investment banking worlds if you do decide to go that route. Whether you are able to land a job at a bulge bracket firm such as Goldman Sachs, J.P. Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Merrill Lynch, Deloitte & Touche, etc. not only depends largely on your own skills, but recommendations and connections as well. When 20 very qualified applicants go for 2 positions, sometimes you're crap out of luck. When you're an undergraduate, you really don't have any (especially) specialized skills that firms will be attracted to, so it's a lot about personal fit and kissing arse the right way.
Might be different for more technical jobs like engineering, although arse kissing is pretty much needed whatever you choose to do, with some jobs taking more day in and day out.
You might also want to check out the career resource center of your school to see what companies recruit there. Bigger UC schools would probably have really good connections in anything that you choose to pursue.

Aug 8, 2002 at 8:24 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by yidimsum
I wouldn't recommend a UC school. I've heard horror stories about students not being able to register into classes that they want and end up graduating in 6 years.

Um... don't believe everything you hear
confused.gif
Not only is that "horror story" a major exaggeration, the vast majority of students will never have a problem getting a class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back