Let's take a ROAD TRIP!
Apr 25, 2009 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

VicAjax

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm about to embark on a 950 mile road trip in a couple of weeks, and I realized this place needs a thread for the best road trip music.

Let's keep it to one album per post.. I'll start:

Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison

at-folsom-prison.jpg

Apr 25, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 21
From a tread a few years ago and not a single album (short road trip, no?)...

A friend a few months ago bought a car she could only afford off eBay, so we flew to Chicago and drove it back to San Francisco. It had a cartridge disc player in the trunk. Here's the best shuffle mix we ended up with. It doesn't span many genres, but was nearly perfect for Highway 50.

Billy Bragg and Wilco's Mermaid Avenue
Never recorded Woody Guthrie lyrics brought to life by Bragg, Wilco and a few guests.
She said it's hard for me to see, how one little boy got so ugly. Yes, my little girly, that might be, but there ain't nobody that can sing like me.

Jack Logan and Bob Kimbell's Woodshedding
Kimbell keeps Logan grounded to release a pretty solid, accessible album.
This river meets an ocean further south, with New Orleans on the corner of its mouth. The sin runs down from the people in the towns, and runs to the ocean further south.

Ry Cooder and Manuel Galban's Mambo Sinuendo
Out of all the recent Ry Cooder connected Cuban output, this is what I've had the shortest and likely will hold on to the longest. Think backroads Cuban bar jukebox. All over, but keeps the the earthy/organic feel going. Even better at dusk.

Steve Earle & The Del McCoury Band's The Mountain
Earle makes Bluegrass rough and dirty again. Modern classics.
Ain't no need to cry for me, boys. Somewhere down the road you'll understand. ‘Cause I expect to touch his hand, boys, Put a word in for you if I can.

Whiskeytown's Pneumonia
Recorded before the famous alt.country bands breakup, but released after the similar sounding solo Heartbreaker album by Ryan Adams.
Sometimes I wish I were deaf, then I wouldn't hear the words you say... under your breath.

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #8 of 21
alrighty... i've just purchased one of the albums listed so far (even though it was in a post that broke the rules
tongue.gif
)

keep it coming! and don't get too hung up on literal references to roads or driving or whatever. just good driving/road tripping music!

here's another:

Tom Waits - Frank's Wild Years

Franks_cover.jpg

Apr 27, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #13 of 21
Rammstein, Metallica, Drowning Pool and other heavy music with dual 15" subwoofers.

Good road trip, also keeps you awake during that long drive.

Apr 27, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #14 of 21
Duggeh's post wins. Blessing's reco for Mambo Sinuendo is also a winner. With those two aside, let me put forth to you another must while driving (preferably with windows open or the top down):

Live_at_Ernesto%27s.jpg

The best Ska New York has to offer, already great for sunny weather, made even better as presented live and in Amsterdam, in a tiny venue.

[EDIT] I will kindly suggest that San Quentin is the better of Johnny's prison recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back