*** Let's share our 2007 SONG OF THE YEAR ***
Sep 2, 2007 at 3:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

SONGsanmanwah

500+ Head-Fier
Well, Q4 is approaching so I think it's time each of us can probably decide which song should be our personal "Song of the Year 2007". Let's share them here and see where it may lead. I can shamelessly admit that all of the newer stuff I now listen to, I found them in this very forum. Many of you must have it the same way so, why not have a thread that people can discuss and exchange their favorite songs for the sake of others?
etysmile.gif

Background:

Lately I was in love with The National - Boxer and was pretty confident it would claim the Album of the Year. Voxtrot - selftitled is another strong contender. However, when break either of them down to songs, I couldn't find any as spectacular as this one:

The Shins - Sleeping Lessons

Composition:
The song is a mere 4 minutes of 3 chords, imagine that! With this extremely limited palette, all other elements are masterfully called upon in order to make the piece as witty and colorful as possible, in which the author succeeds. Instruments are held back creating a suspended period before they subsequently chime in, each at perfect timing, each with all efforts to make the most out of it. For example, the first half of the rhythm guitar part is palm-muted strumming before repeating with full sound in the next part. Well laid out. There is no solo but a short passage of acoustic guitar leading to the climax, which is the first time you hear undistorted melody in the song. Actually the entire band only kicks in after 2/3 of it. Extremely well-fabricated.

Sound design and execution:
At the beginning, vocals and other instruments are somewhat reverbed to give a slight psychedelic flavor before turning crisp towards the end. Sound 'extras' are used sparingly and well placed, they enhance the overall atmosphere quite effectively. My only wish is that the drums sound can be rendered as stunning and impactful as the National's Boxer, but that could probably ruin the overall balance of the song anyway.

Lyrics: *linky
As a student of English translation, I can't help but putting emphasis on this part. First two verses strike me as almost pretentious, I mean, when was the last time you hear word like eviscerate in a song? Laden with metaphors and other poetic devices, the imagery was obscured it can be interpreted as many ways as one cares to. Comments drawn from a song meaning discussion site include the French revolution, younger generation breakthrough, religious conflict, and even masturbation, which, admittedly, goes quite well with the first two verses.
biggrin.gif

But I decide to give the artist a break and dwell further looking for just one clear message the song means to convey. If they make it good enough there, the rest would be just intro and outro.

And there it is. Right at the chorus. I am all but stunned, like something hits me in my face:

And if the old guard still offend,

They got nothing left on which you depend,

So enlist every ounce,

Of your bright blood,

And off with their heads,

Jump from the hook,

[size=x-small]You're not obliged to swallow anything you despise...[/size]

This is unreal. So powerful string of words I caught myself out of breath. Whatever follow it does not get into my head since it went temporarily blank. To me the message is crystal clear here; your struggle is overwhelming the only way to win it is to give it all you've got, but you are able to do that, just do not bow.

How could he write like that? I could easily imagine myself lay down and die in peace once I wrote anything as powerful yet beautiful. Maybe while suffering from his insomnia the author was able to conjure the ether and channel something down? After those words everything is no longer that important. Still, his choice of 'buzzards' is brilliant since we only see them as tiny specks in the sky but when they come down to us, their intention is to take our lives and consume our flesh. The 3rd verse and a bridge serve their purposes. But by that magical 1st chorus the deal was already sealed.

The song is often put to repeat and I keep it going for hours chatting, writing and exercise. So, without any doubt, I give you my 2007 SONG OF THE YEAR.

Yep, please comment and, better still, share your favorite ones with us. Remember, it's all yours, your criteria, your personal incline, every tiny thing that holds a special place in your heart. If you've found one this year, we are all ears...
etysmile.gif

Sep 2, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #3 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Instead of discovering new songs, I am stuck with choices of past years.

My absolute favorite this year is Morrissey's "The World is Full of Crashing Bores" from "You Are The Quarry" album 2004.

That's quite disheartening -_-.'. C'mon people, help him find some!

Sep 2, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #6 of 36
Ay Bay Bay!

NO JUST KIDDING I HATE THAT SONG. My neighbors have been blasting it for 10 hours straight! And who lets kids swim at 11?!

Sep 2, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #7 of 36
Porcupine Tree- Anesthetize

Probably one of the best songs , Pt ever created ,
Lyrics ,Musically, has it's quient and loud moments , and the feeling that everything is where it should be
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by SONGsanmanwah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Shins - Sleeping Lessons

...*snip*...

Great write-up on a terrific song. I already liked that song as the opener to the album, but your write-up makes me realize just how good it is. James Mercer is really brilliant.

My favorite song of 2007 has been Joanna Newsom's "Colleen" off the Ys Street Band EP. But I will add that I have not been able to listen to as much music in 2007 as I would have liked.

I'm not even going to attempt to write a comprehensive analysis like the thread starter. I'll just say that "Colleen" has a great arrangement and I really love the tempo change for the chorus.

Sep 2, 2007 at 12:06 PM Post #10 of 36
For something that may be fairly well known to Head-Fi'ers, I'd go for "In This Twilight" from Nine Inch Nails' album "Year Zero".

For something probably more obscure to most of you, I'd have to go for "Gears of War", from the "Gears of War" game soundtrack (composed by Kevin Riepl and performed by the Northwest Sinfonia). A diverse and beautiful song well performed.

Sep 2, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My favorite song of 2007 has been Joanna Newsom's "Colleen" off the Ys Street Band EP.

Good taste.

I'd have to agree, coming a close second would maybe be "Trophy" by 'Bat for Lashes' - but like yourself i haven't been listening to all that much new music this year.

Sep 2, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #14 of 36
My two standout songs of the year (so far) are Richard Thompson, "Guns are the Tongues" from Sweet Warrior and Rufus Wainwright, "Slideshow" from Release The Stars.

I guess that people know whether Rufus is likely to be their "thang" but the Thompson track (for those who don't know him) is a fabulous acoustic-electric folk ballad (electric guitar, mandolin, violin, bass, drums) with a chorus that sticks in the mind and a great outro guitar solo.

Sep 2, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #15 of 36
With four months left to go in a year of great music I reserve the right to change my mind at a later date, but right now, I would have to say that my favorite song of the year is (...and this will come as no surprise to some of you) "The Parting Of The Sensory" from Modest Mouses' newest release "We Died Before The Ship Even Sank."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back