Lets say I go insane and upgrade from K81s in a month
Aug 1, 2007 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hauton

New Head-Fier
What next?

I find that bass tone is the biggest issue with the K81s - it has a bit of nice warmth and all that, but aside from that it's very bland. Bass punch could be improved. Boom is still there with foam removal, but I guess I've gotten used to it and it's nowhere near as bad to me anymore. Treble is awesome, no complaints there (well, extension, but eh). Midrange is fine, nothing spectacular but no complaints either.

So as a hard trance kinda guy, I want something that has more bass tone and punch. After getting more of it, I now realize huge amounts of warmth isn't something I really want (because it sacrifices some of the nature of the electronic music). I just want an accurate, hard-hitting bass and maybe a better midrange.

ES-7? RP-21?

Aug 1, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #3 of 7
81's bland? Not enough bass? Maybe Beyer 770s.

Aug 1, 2007 at 9:50 AM Post #4 of 7
I would suggest visiting clubs and raves. I am a raver and no headphone can satisfy my basshead needs.

But yeah you can try dt770pro/80. Just 5 min ago I did some comparison between dt770pro and K81DJ.

MIDS: K81DJ have more in your face vocals and mids in general, but they are of lesser quality than dt770pro. dt770pro definitely have recessed mids tho.

HIGHS: K81DJ IMO suffers from recessed highs and the quality is not as good as DT770pro.

BASS: DT770pro goes deeper and has better body and definition although K81 DJ is not much worse to be honest. I bet on some songs K81DJ would appear to have more bass (but not better quality of course).

SOUNDSTAGE: DT770pro has better soudstage but not by much.

COMFORT: DT770pro are exactly 6.56 times more comfortable (ok that was a joke but you get the point
smily_headphones1.gif
)

To be honest with you I don't think even DT770pro would satisfy you completely. Especially considering you are a hard trance fan where really low bass isn't as prominent as mid bass. DT770pro works the best with heavy bassline music such as Drum & Bass, dubstep, hip-hop, breaks etc.

I mean its hard to recommend you anything with better bass than K81DJ at that price point. K81s are known for their big bass as you already know.

As I said you can try DT770pro and see how you like it. I hope this helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #6 of 7
Audio Technica A700.

I'm a trance-dance-eletronica head too, and Paul van Dyk, Armand van helden (and the like) sounds superb in those cans.
580smile.gif

*I dont mean to plug in, but I'm selling my 2 week old one as well.

Aug 1, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #7 of 7
initially i found trance to sound very warm and slow on my hd580's but overtime i seriously like them even though they still sound a lil' slow heh. You'll definitely get better bass and midrange from the 580s but since they're out of production it's a little hard to find them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back